IBS tummy cramps anyone?

hellyH

Reaction score
I have had a few bouts of IBS when I wasn't pregnant, but a couple of weeks ago I had bad tummy pains in the mid-high part of my stomach, it lasted a few hours and then was ok. Then last night they started again, very very painful, same place, felt almost like high up labor pains, last till this morning when I went to see GP, she checked me and said it was prob IBS, gave me firbregel and Gaviscon, not sure if either of these are really for IBS though. Anyway just wondered if anyone else had had pain like this or IBS in pregnancy, really worried gonna have some more bouts, so painful and scary :(

I have suffered with ibs in previous years thankfully I'm not that bad with it may get a bad bout 3 times a year but I must admit this last 3 weeks or so I've been getting the type of pains I usually get that tell me i'm going to start with a bout (high up tummy pains) almost every day and around the same time.....although up to now touch wood it's never developed any further.

I suffed with IBS before pregnancy, it tends to come and go really. Before I got BFP it had generally disappeared for a while (thankfully!) but since being pregnant, it makes an unwelcome show once in a while, probs once a week :(
It worries my OH cos when I'm crippled on the floor or sat on the toilet for half hour, he tends to say "How can you be sure its your bowel, and not the baby?" But I just know the difference! It's horrible :(
If it was a bit more frequent, I'd probably mention it to my midwife, because theres medication you can take for it during pregnancy that's perfectly safe

Last edited:
I suffered before Pg and at the start it was so bad i was in tears, Rennie Deflatine are safe to take during PG and work very well, Gaviscon wont do much for IBS i dont think it doesnt even do much for heart burn IMO

Hope you start to feel better soon x

I've had IBS since I was 18 (now 41), which has gotten progressively worse esp in the last 3 years. I think the IBS pains are a good introduction to labour pains... yeouch! My IBS is the constipation type so you can imagine that coupled with the pregnancy constipation and I'm lucky to be able to go once a week without medication. I can't take anti spasmodics during pregnancy so have been given lactulose which has worked better for me than fybogel. I also have meds for heartburn which is wicked at the mo Ranitidine twice a day helps with that. Hell I sound like an old woman :D xx

Last edited:
Thanks for replys girls, so painful when it comes, really scares me, it's such a weird thing to get, good to know that others understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back