I want some information on cloth nappies....help?

Reaction score
Hey Ladies :)
I found out i was pregnant last week! I'm still in shock but I've had 4 positive pregnancy tests so it's finally sinking in! I am so happy.
I know it's very early days but I want to do as much research as possible.. I love the idea of cloth nappies! I just want some honest advice.

- Does it work out cheaper?
- Would my baby not get bad "nappy rash" from cloth nappies?
- Do these nappies need to be changed more often?

Just general questions really.
Any other advice would be fab!

Cost really depends on how much you spend on the nappies in the first place and if you have an airing cupboard to dry them in or will need to run the dryer as well as the washing machine every day. Bought in bulk, disposable nappies aren't THAT expensive.

If your nappies have fleece against the skin then nappy rash shouldn't be a problem, but do bear in mind many of the disposable liners for easy poo disposal can be quite damp in my experience. We've gone back to ultra dry disposables for this reason.
Yes cloth needs changing more often than disposable. I dropped from 11 changes a day to 5 or 6 when i went back to disposables. They just don't hold as much wee.

Last edited:
My LO is 9 months we don't have to change her anymore than if she was in disposable. Nappy changes are more frequent in the early days so although you can use cloth from the start some people prefer to wait a few months. I use little lamb pocket and also got some cheap ones from Amazon. I use bamboo inserts with a one way liner and my LO has never had nappy rash.

You can do it for £100 or so, if you use traditional terry. On the other hand, if you start buying for fashion, you can get addicted, but there's no need. Some councils in UK give help with buying as well. Washing costs are about £1 per week. So yes, you can save a great deal of money. Also bear in mind that cloth nappies are far more efficient than disposables, so they don't leak nearly as often. This actually saves you washing, as there are less baby clothes and bedding. You may end up with little more washing than disposables produce.
Change every feed and if dirty. I always put a clean one on before naps as well, just for comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back