• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I want my hair dyed...

jazzmum2be

Reaction score
Im fed up of my pink and black hair and want something a bit more girly.
i want to have it bleached and dyed brown and have some blonde highlights put in.
Iv heard mixed things on whether you can dye your hair whilst pregnant..
Whats the truth?
Can I go and have my hair dyed?

Ill be carrying on bleaching my hair

My mum did, and my hairdresser did with no problems so I'll be following their lead

hi i did hairdressing at college and its ok 2 dye ur hair wen pregnant sum pple prefer nt 2 ...bleach is fine to use cuz it dont touch the scalp if u do it in foils and ..the only thing tht can happen is sumtimes it dont turn out to b the desired colour due to hormones or you can get an allergic reaction but u can get a allergic reaction if not pregnant but thts mainly in the darker colours i still dye my hair i think its pple own personal views and opinions!!! hairdressers wudnt do it if it can harm the baby and there as been no scientific evidence to suggest it does. x

I went to my hair dresser and asked him.. basically.. hair dye today has nothing that will affect your baby in it.. whereas a long time ago it was quite bad.. ive had my hair dyed and im fine.. lol..

BUT.. thats not to say your skin doesnt become more.. whats the word.. sensitive.. cos some peoples does.. best thing is to ask your own hairdresser..

x x

Thank god for that girlies, I love going to have my hair done and was told by my friends I couldn't.

My reply to them was, what do the celebrities do? Have thick rootage coming through for 9 months?

I'm sure I've had this conversation with my hairdresser and she said the same as above, there is no proven harm but the colour may not take.

I'm willing to take that risk though.

personally i am leaving mine, I'll have to have 6" roots - I'm not taking the chance as the baby is more important than my hair.

There wouldnt be a debate if it was 100% safe.

I just found this on babycenter.com -

Ann Linden, certified nurse-midwife
The limited evidence that's available suggests that it's probably safe to dye your hair during pregnancy. The Organization of Teratology Information Services (OTIS), which provides information on potential reproductive risks, says that animal studies are reassuring and that there are no reports of hair dye causing changes in human pregnancies, despite the fact that many women have colored their hair during pregnancy. What's more, OTIS points out that very little of the chemicals in hair dye are actually absorbed into your system.

That said, if you're still concerned, consider waiting to color your hair until the second trimester, when your developing baby is less vulnerable. Also, rather than using an all-over hair color, consider a process like streaking, highlighting, painting, or frosting, in which the chemicals have little or no contact with your scalp. (Any hair-coloring agents absorbed into your system would come through your skin, not through your hair shaft.)

You may have heard that vegetable dyes are a good alternative if you want to avoid using synthetic chemical agents during pregnancy. But buyer beware: I looked at all of the so-called natural and herbal preparations at my local health food store. In addition to the various "natural" substances listed as ingredients, all of the dyes I saw had one or more of the very same synthetic chemical compounds (such as p-phenylenediamine, dihydroxybenzene, and aminophenol) that the major cosmetic companies put in their permanent and semipermanent dyes.

Pure henna (Lawsonia inermis) — a semipermanent vegetable dye that's been used for thousands of years — is considered safe, but it's quite messy to use, needs to be left on for a relatively long time, and imparts a red-orange hue that you may not like. (Note that henna products that come in other colors or are fast-acting are not pure henna and may contain synthetic chemicals or potentially risky metallic compounds.)

I certainly think it's important for women to feel good about themselves during pregnancy. Whether coloring your hair will make you feel good or cause you to worry needlessly for nine months is something to think about. If you do choose to color your own hair, wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated space to minimize your exposure to the chemicals used in the coloring process. Don't leave the dye on any longer than necessary, and thoroughly rinse your scalp at the end of the process.

i iv found this!!!
Is it safe to color my hair when I’m pregnant?
There is no evidence that the chemicals in hair dye will harm your baby. The amount of dye you would normally use on your hair is not enough to pose an increased risk to either you or your child.
If you're concerned about dying your hair during pregnancy:

Use gloves so that your skin absorbs less dye.
Be sure the room is well-ventilated so you don't breathe in chemicals for too long.
Don't leave dye on longer than the instructions recommend.
If you're still concerned, consider highlights. Because dye from highlights doesn't usually touch your scalp, your skin can't absorb it. Dye can't be absorbed through hair alone. You can also try vegetable dyes or henna.

haha i didnt realise this had been googled alredi :lol:

My hairdresser advised me it was safe to have highlights in pregnancy because the colour is not touching the scalp, but all over colour is not recommended as it goes directly on the scalp and there is a chance that the particles could pass through into the blood stream. You must do whatever you feel is best for you hun, it is no ones decision but your own.

Personally, I have had my hair done (highlights) and did in my previous pregnancy and all was ok :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back