Has anyone dyed there hair

Little miss pink

Reaction score
My roots are through and i look a mess but up to now i've been too scared to do them. I've heard mixed stories about whether it is safe or not, some hairdressers and other sources say the chemicals are bad and other people say it won't harm the baby but your colour might be slightly different due to hormones.

Has anyone on here dyed there hair? What has your experiences been or what advice have you been given?

Now that I've hd my scan i'd hate to hrm my ickle bean.

LMP x

I have dyed my hair since being pregnant..i didn't think twice about it..i was about 16 weeks. It didn't say anything on the packaging, it should be fine. :)

hi... ive chatted to my hairdresser about this too, as ive heard different things!

i used to have bleached hair but had to go brown when i started planning, summat to do with the fumes, their not good for you!!!!!

but now when i have my brown dye done, she said its fine, only thing is, it may not take to the colour as good as it should!!

hope this helped......

Hi Zobo

Well i'm blond so from what your hairdresser said do you think its not safe for me to dye my roots blonde because of the fumes or do you think its fine it i do something to limit how much i inhale - good this is so confusing this dying business. with hind sight i would of dyed my hair a coulr close to my nature colour.

:wall:

LMP x

I dyed my hair last time I was pregnant a couple of times and Nathan's fine. I didn't do it till about 20 weeks though, it's recommended not doing it in the first 3 months.

Only thing is it didn't take that well on my hair and went a different colour than it should have :doh: had used that hair dye before aswell so knew it wasn't that.

I dyed my hair today :) I have heard mixed things regarding hair dyes but I did mine

x

hi lil miss pink....

well i used to use the die hard peroxide, like the proper blonding kits...
not the usual blond dye... and was told not to use them! yeh its the fumes!
its enough to choke you even when your not pregnant, so understand why they say not to use it!

think youll be ok using the normal stuff!!! THINK!

Hi,

I must admit, I have avoided it throughout my pregnancies although my Mum used to be a hairdresser and she thinks I am mad!! Have very dark hair anyway and don't lighten it much these days so it doesn't really matter. Have highlights at the mo. which I had done a while before becomming pg - at least they hide the grey a bit!!!

I had bleach foils done at 12 weeks, it was fine. Hairdresser said he didn't like to use tints which were painted directly onto the scalp during pregnancy, but foils are fine.

Discuss it with your hairdresser, they will advise.

Crickey i'm even more confused now. :wall:

I'm in my first trimester which is the worst time but with all the xmas parties coming up i'm going to have roots down to my ears if i wait till i'm out of 1st trimester. I'll look like a skunk gone wrong? I usually dye my hair using 40% peroxide and a mixture of blond hair creme's has anyone used anything similar in there first trimester?

:wall:

LMP x

Hi There

I spoke to my hairdressers as i just have foil highlights, they advised that so long as the dye didnt touch the scalp i'd be fine.

Could you not get the dye as close to your scalp as possible but not on the scalp???

Its better to be safe than sorry. Its only 9months, maybe you could treat yourself to a new hat? :lol: :hug: :hug:

hello hun

as 1sttimemum says its where the dye touches your scalp and chemicals are then absorbed into your blood which can then be absorbed by your little bubs. Personally I would be very careful and definately wait until after the first tri when your baby is going through all its important neurological (sp) growth. Then in second tri Id still only have foils. I dyed my hair yesterday but used a semi-permanent dye which contains no ammonia or other nasties to be on the safe side. I know it sucks but bleach is a powerful thing :?

Ok i think i know what i am going to do. I'm going to call a hairdresser and explain that i usually do my own block colour (direct onto my scalp) so i have a straight line of root growth now but because i'm pregnant i cannot have the root regrowth retinted in a block on the scalp so i'll ask if there is anything they can do via cap or foils just to take the edge of the ridge of dark root and make it look less obvious.

And hopefully there is something they can come up with.

Sometimes i don't know what i'd do without this forum. And failing that I'll do what jenna said and just get creative with hats and scalfs :rotfl:

:pray: praying there is something they can do!

Thanks for the advice ladies! again!

LMPx

I've been putting off having mine done for weeks but I have decided to go for foils as they don't touch the scalp and won't be absorbed by your body that way.

worried now...... had my hair dyed last wk normally have foils but opted to dye hair natural colour so wouldn't have to have done again whilst pregnant hair dresser said should be fine so had full head done! did wait till 12 wks thought this would be ok? :? althought its turned out alot darker than my natural colour so will still get roots :wall:

hi girls, i am all confuffled now too!!!

Unfortunately, my hair comes through grey/white, and has done since i was about 12. it was naturally dark brown, and i have always dyed it.. now i have about an inch of yucky roots, and too scared to dye them. gonna look dreadful at Christmas, as I wont be 12wks until 29th Dec ish.

Think it is time to hit Primark for some hats... :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back