I swore I'd never...

maybebaby

Reaction score
I swore I'd never... use the TV to keep my baby occupied, but Austin sat in front of the music channel for 1/2 hour earlier while I did the washing up!!!

What things did you swear you'd never do as a mum, but find yourself doing now?

loads of stuff!! I would never use a dummy, never bottle feed, he has a dummy - I didn't understand that some babies are born with a strong sucking reflex and I did't produce any milk so if I didn't bottle feed my dude would have starved!!

I laugh at some of things I have said in the past as I really didn't have a clue! SOmetimes I have to be strong though - like now he is in a highchair to eat and he gets distracted with the window and I always swore I would bever give him a toy to play with because meal times is for eating not playing! Sometimes I think it would be easier to give him a toy but I am NOT going to!! There thats me told!!

I also stick Thomas in front of sky news on a morning while I eat my breakfast!!

I said with my first child i wouldnt do alot of hat stuff, but with my second im just going eith the flow.
I get immy off to sleep, its the only way i can get stuff done!

Stephen sits with her and watches spongebob when hes not at school.

Just go with the flow and be relaxed about stuff, its not a crime letting your child watch tv hunni , nor does irt make you a bad mother :hug:

my big one was the tv too...It was the first thing he was intrested in and we cuddle up on the sofa sometimes and watch tv...I also use it to get things done sometimes..

and never expect what you think will work to work

I am holding out on the dummy issue so far (but she has a comforter and bless her is desperate to suck something!) but said/thought:-

*I'd never dress a daughter in lots of frilly pink things - stuff that! Have you seen the cute clothes you can get!?

*I said sanctimoniously that I'd never use wipes, I'd only use washable wipes (they've not been used yet!) and only cotton wool and water. I do use cw & water at home, but I can't be fagged with that when I am out and about! I also lugged home my first pooey reusable nappy the other day, only to vow to use disposables when we are out in future!

There must be more... I'll be back! I love this thread! Come on ladies, spill!

Valentine xxx

never sit him infront of the TV, but he seems to like it (especially simpsons and other colourfull things) so I do find my self doing this while I have a tidy, or get dressed, or even sometimes to just sit down and read the paper for 15 mins if he has worn me out for a few hours!!

said when he was a baby would never pick him up when ever he cried as didnt want him to think all he had to do was cry to get attention....as soon as I saw my bundle that flew out the window lol

nothing else really that I can think of right now, im sure in the next few years there will be loads though

the tvs not that bad! to a baby its just lots of colours- like a mobile or wall pictures or toys (which we dont think of as bad!); and sounds of music and human voices- very stimulating!
millie loves my boyfs new plasma lol

Ruby LOVED the TV when she was small!! I was worried she would get square eyes but now she is mobile, she doesnt seem intrested in it any more...oh unless its BBC1, 10am week days and Homes Under The Hammer is on, she adored that when she was tiny, she sat transfixed by it!! Now when she ears the theme tune, she stops, turns to the tv and starts waving at it :shock: :rotfl: :rotfl: Its hilarious!!!

Rubys mummy said:
Ruby LOVED the TV when she was small!! I was worried she would get square eyes but now she is mobile, she doesnt seem intrested in it any more...oh unless its BBC1, 10am week days and Homes Under The Hammer is on, she adored that when she was tiny, she sat transfixed by it!! Now when she ears the theme tune, she stops, turns to the tv and starts waving at it :shock: :rotfl: :rotfl: Its hilarious!!!

alice does the same thing!! she also does it with neighbours.

she likes the music channels, she has just started the bobbing up and down dance that babies do! i LOVE it! me and alice sit on the floor bobbing up and down.

I said i'd never give Soph a dummy, i also said that i wouldn't have her in bed with us and you guessed it she has a dummy and sleeps in with us, although she is getting put back in her cot slowly but surely, always a screaming match when she gets put in her cot!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I was never going to use the TV as an electronic babysitter...

I was never going to swear in front of my child.

My child would never had a public tantrum ( :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: )

My child would never eat anything unhealthy...

Yup... there were loads and loads.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

One thing I find especially when you are pregnant that there are there are so many things that you turn your nose up at that when you actually have a baby you then realise. One time we were out in restaurant there was this pregnant woman sitting nearby, we were eating and Kai had a kind of scampi thing with chips, and she said something like he's having that kind of food. I turned around and couldn't believe it and gave her this dirty look and she retreated back into her shell, no need to say anything.

The things I said I will never do:
-dummies - I think that was more my husband than me, but now it is me that wants to get rid of Kai's dummy, my husband just says he's still little, he'll be saying it when he is 10 lol....Kai never has it when he is out now.
-bottlefeeding - looked down on this and now don't care and will bottlefeed the next one
-food - everything Kai eats will be healthy, I wasn't very flexible at the beginning with food but Kai has has tried most things, he loves chips but just want to suck them lol....still won't relent on McDonals
-tantrum - Kai will never have a tantrum in public lol and I did look down on people who's kids did this and ignored it
-controlled crying - was the most evil thing anyone could do - for us it was a godsend.

I think these are the main ones but one thing is true is that you never truly understand babies/kids until you have had one of your own.

I've been mostly able to stick to my i will nevers all except the TV. Thea loves Fifi and the Flowertots and Dora the Explorer and Wonderpets lol

The TV seems a bit taboo here in Canada, I mentioned to couple of people that Kai watches tv and you should have seen their faces.

He watches 30 mins in the morning while I have a bath and get ready.

And on the odd occasion for 30 mins in the afternoon.

But never more than that

Normally after I get ready we go out and Kai always goes over to turn the tv off, so cute!

The tv one was never an issue for me, everything in moderation. And he is watching fun, ecucational stuff.

spit on a tissue and wip Livys face...opps done it! :lol:

Put Samuel in my bed lol he sometimes comes in for a cuddle when he gets up :oops:

Got another one-

I swore I'd never compare my baby with any others but I'm ALWAYS looking at other babies & secretly thinking ooh mine's cuter/can do that better/etc!!! :oops: :D

Hayden dances to any bit of music on tv..adverts especially
also hollyoaks and friends..lol! doesnt watch it
that much but just gets fascinated when he hears music!

the thing i always said i wouldnt do (and i'm not anywhere near
there yet but its coming i can feel it!) is say the things i hated
my mum saying..ie

*this house is not a hotel
*wait until we get home

you get the picture..lol

maybebaby said:
Got another one-

I swore I'd never compare my baby with any others but I'm ALWAYS looking at other babies & secretly thinking ooh mine's cuter/can do that better/etc!!! :oops: :D

Definitely do this one! OH and I went to baby massage a couple of weeks ago and as we were walking home, he said - "ok, I know I'm biased, but how much cuter and more beautiful is our daughter than any of those babies"! I had to agree :rotfl: .

Valentine xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back