I just cant help myself!!

This forum is BAD for me...

I did not know you could have private scans.... So in 3 weeks time, for £100 I could see our baby?!?!? :shock: I want to do it I want to do it I want to do it :lol:

My DH will come after you all if he realises the seed you've planted :shhh:

ejjie said:

TECHNICALLY he was the one who planted the seed! :rotfl:

Sorry - bad joke :doh:

ejjie said:
This forum is BAD for me...

I did not know you could have private scans.... So in 3 weeks time, for £100 I could see our baby?!?!? :shock: I want to do it I want to do it I want to do it :lol:

Ooh go on, you know you want to :lol:

HollyHobby said:
I didnt want any early scans, but I wouldnt mind more later ones.
Don't worry, later ones aren't all they're cracked up to be. We had a couple of extras around 30 and 35 weeks and by then baby is so big you don't get great shots (our pic from 35 weeks is face-on and positively terrifying in it's skeleton-ness!). As far as pics are concerned, the 12 week is better than the 20 for that reason.

After 20 weeks the MW continues to listen to the heartbeat and that has it's own magic :)

when you think in years to come you'll be able to buy home scanning equipment!

That should have read I'm booking in at 10 weeks with the midwife, they dont see you before that. Still got to decide where to have the baby, dont fancy a maggot ridden hospital. Do we have to decide that early on?

You would think you would get better scans later on! I suppose June will be hear before i know it and this will all be moot.

You can choose where to have your baby whenever you like hun. MW will ask you if you've thought about it and give you your hospital options at booking in appointment. I chose to have Maddison at a midwife led birth centre but ended up having her in hospital :wink:

HollyHobby said:
when you think in years to come you'll be able to buy home scanning equipment!

That should have read I'm booking in at 10 weeks with the midwife, they dont see you before that. Still got to decide where to have the baby, dont fancy a maggot ridden hospital. Do we have to decide that early on?

You would think you would get better scans later on! I suppose June will be hear before i know it and this will all be moot.

Oh, I get you now! I don't think you need to decide where to have the baby so early, but they let you know what options are available in your authority area so you can start thinking about it. It's more about which screening tests you want for thing like Downs, HIV etc, antenatal classes and so on. They should also arrange for you to have a tour of your local maternity unit to help you decide too. I've also read that you can choose which hospital you have your baby in if there's a few within reach for you. Mine will be the Jessop Wing at The Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield, which is a teaching hospital and apparently really progressive. It rates really highly in all the patient feedback surveys I've read and has a great reputation, which makes me feel a bit better as I hate hate hate hospitals!

I dont know if we have any of those centres here, not heard of any.
My first choice is home though but in emergency hospital obviosuly, but my local has one of the worst reputation for being filthy and was recently infested with maggots and has even been quarantined before.

2nd choice Newcastle but not practical going on the metro in labour really! 3rd choice sunderland but metro again! Really want to avoid hospitals as much as i can.

I have heard that some midwives want you to go to hospuital for your first, is this true?
i've also ehard in hospital they almost bully you into doing everything their way and not what feels natural, like say you want to squat and they want to keep you lieing down... I worry about this!

Yes, I've heard some hospitals are overkeen to go down the intervention route as they want to get you in and out as soon as possible. I definitely don't want that, and one of things your midwife should suggest is a birthing plan, were you draw up exactly what you do and don't want during labour, to avoid being pushed into anything when you're in no state to think clearly.

Midwife-led birthing centres sound brilliant. They can't administer pain relief other than gas and air, but they sound like much more relaxed places to give birth, and more conducive to letting things happen naturally. I'm hoping there'll be one near here I can go to - I've tried searching on the nhs website but with no joy, but as I have my booking appointment in 3 days, I guess I'll find out then!

You have to be really firm with what you want in a hospital. I specifically said that I didnt want to deliver on my back as I have fibromyalgia and have bad back problems so what did they do?....put me on my back with my legs in stirrups to stop me wriggling around :wall: I couldnt actually say anything at that point as I was ready to push and they hadnt even given me any pain relief so physically couldnt talk (best time of hubbys life I bet :lol: ) I didnt know about the birth centre until I saw MW either so make sure you ask if there's one around. They can only give gas and air though which is fine by me as I didnt have anything with Maddison until the last 10 mins when they teased me with the gas and air then whipped it back off me again to push :lol:

Thats my fear snuggles, ask for one thing and they do another. That would freak me out. I mean its going to be stressful enough as it is. I need to feel in contriol.

nah going to avoid hospitals, and checked on google and no midwife birthing centres for my area, so home it is deffo!

I would have maybe not minded a hospital waterbirth but I would be worried it hadnt been cleaned properly. i dont actually have anything nice to say about my hospital and with good reason.

birthchoiceuk is quite interesting. Gives stats for your region and shows where the midwife units are.

If it makes you feel any better, the hospital usually ask you to provide your own liner for the birthing pool, which might allay any cleanliness fears you have!

It's also not as expensive as you might think to hire a birthing pool for homebirth - my friend did this and loved it, said she was the calmest person in the room! The downside is having to clean it out afterwards - not that she did it herself of course!

And there's a birth centre near me, woo-hoo! :cheer:

Is there only one hospital near you HollyHobby? I would discuss your fears with MW at booking in appointment and see what she suggests. I have a fear of hospitals which is why I chose the birth unit but had no choice in the end as I went into labour whilst I got monitored at hospital and it was too late to go back to the birth centre. When the time comes you wont care about being in hospital, you will just want baby out! Definitely discuss homebirth with MW though :hug:

Minxy said:
HollyHobby said:
Don't worry, later ones aren't all they're cracked up to be. We had a couple of extras around 30 and 35 weeks and by then baby is so big you don't get great shots (our pic from 35 weeks is face-on and positively terrifying in it's skeleton-ness!). As far as pics are concerned, the 12 week is better than the 20 for that reason.

After 20 weeks the MW continues to listen to the heartbeat and that has it's own magic :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry but you just made me spit my chocolate out! The thought of going for a scan and just seeing a giant face would frighten the living daylights out of me. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm actually crying here I'm laughing so much - sorry :rotfl:

Mama 2 Be said:
Minxy said:
HollyHobby said:

:rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry but you just made me spit my chocolate out! The thought of going for a scan and just seeing a giant face would frighten the living daylights out of me. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm actually crying here I'm laughing so much - sorry :rotfl:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back