i have no job..

sarafet

Reaction score
i've been off sick for the past 5 days, have an awful cold and no energy to do anything at all and the agency i work for have just called me saying that my work are terminating my contract :(

i've had other days off sick as well - pregnancy related and i can understand that it's a pain in the ar** for them, but i feel rubbish now. what the hell am i going to do for the next 10 weeks?

the guy who phoned from the agency basically said that because today and yesterday they had not heard from me it was down as awol, i usually send the agency an email in the morning if i'm going to be off and have been doing this - but after the phonecall i checked the email address i'd been sending them to - the guys name is jon.goodman - i've been spelling it john.goodman :( :wall: it hasn't even been sent back with an error or anything though :cry:

i am so annoyed with myself :cry: and i don't know what i am going to do money wise and time wise - i can't sit at home doing nothing :( and who's going to employ someone who's 6 months pregnant anyways :cry:

thanks for listening :hug:

sarah xxx

oh hun I dont know what to say or suggest but will give you these :hug: :hug:

Is there no way of telling them the mistake you've made and see if they'll give u another chance?

Do you have copies of the emails you sent in your sent items box? If so I would forward them to the agency so they can see that you have made a genuine mistake.

I would also be tempted to speak to Citizens advice just to make sure they are able to terminate your contract when you've been ill due to pregnancy related stuff. I'm not sure where you stand if you've been temping.

If your current agency won't take you back try joining another. They might not mind you being pregnant if it's just temping work you're after.

I hope you can sort something out :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

ETA: If worse comes to worse you might be able to claim maternity allowance from now seeing as you're 29 weeks

SNAP!

just got relieved of my duties today when i got signed of work with diastasis - muscles in abdomen separating. it is giving me bad backache - MW and doc think it is due to muscles on ribs separating.

either way im also jobless, without a hope in hel of getting anything else now.

i have made a claim for incapacity benefit, dont know how much it is or what alternatives there are, but i would contact your local jobcentreplus and see if there is anything you are entitled to.

technicaly you can have your maternity allowance now (from 11wks before due date for 39 wks)

thinking of you - wasnt chuffed when it happened to me today either :x

I was up for redeployment while almost 6 months gone and had pretty much given up hope of anyone taking me on THAT far preggy. I had an interview lined up and was almost in tears the night before not wanting to go because it would be another farce with no hope of success, my old line manager talked me into not giving up and giving it a whirl.

Anyhoo - they gave me the job!!! Because Redeployment is slow they actually only had me for ONE MONTH before I went on maternity @ 36 weeks. I couldn't believe anyone would do that but the manager that hired me said she always takes the best person for the job because that way she has good staff for years rather than fixing things short term.

Hell - I KNOW it's hard and that I was very lucky but I also know (now!) that there are people out there that will employ a preggy woman if they feel the person is right AND they have their eyes on the long term rather than short term.

Don't give up completely but don't blame yourself either - there's alot of discrimination but still some good folk around and I think in a way that means if you do get something it'll be something good!

yep i've thought about amending my maternity allowance date to start sooner.. i might do that.

i do actually have the emails in my sent items, just checked, i don't think it would really make a difference to be honest though. i feel bad enough already and don't want to sound like i'm coming up with excuses :(

my OH asked me if they can terminate my contract when preg related.. i really don't know, but again i don't want to start stirring up a big mess with the agency :cry:

skimpy i'm really sorry :hug:

it's an awful feeling, i feel so helpless just now :(

floppit thanks for your advice too hun, but in september i'm hoping to go back to uni so any job would be short term anyways, as in for the next 2 months :(

i suppose worse things can happen, i'm just a bit shocked and upset just now. thanks girlies :hug:

OUCH!! Yeah that does sound a bit too awkward to get round. Maybe use the time to develop an intimate relationship with Google Scholar ready for Sept? Ok - I even scared myself now.... :shock:

I'm sorry it happened, it's crap.

Oh no sarah...that's so sad...I feel really bad for you hun. :(
You'd think they would try ringing you first to give you a chance to explain, I thought they were procedures before they terminated a contract like a warning first-didn't they do any of that??

I would look into in chick-don't worry about stirring it with the agency, it's not as if they have done you any favours and if you're planning on going back to uni you won't be needing them again.

Hope you work something out. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi Sarahfet,

I work in HR and they are not allowed to terminate your contract if you are pregnant. Unless they can prove that the role was made redundant (ie no longer needed, they cannot ask someone else to do the same job) they cannot 'sack' you even if you are temp staff. Pregnant women are protected by law.

I get annoyed when agencies are so ignorant - not to mention inconsiderate!

I would call ACAS on 08457 474747. They can give you legal advice.

Good luck.

babymagic thanks for the number, just having a look at their website.

what do you think could be done if i contact them?

also - i don't know if the circumstances will rule out them dismissing me - ie - because they have me down as AWOL. also i am hired through an agency so is it possible there is something in a contract somewhere which says they can terminate my contract at any time? (although i have looked through it and can't see anything like this relating to pregnancy related illness..

this is making my brain hurt :(

sarah - thanks hun :hug: i know things will work out ok, i'm just feeling rubbish and a bit helpless and useless just now. hate the thought of sitting around doing nothing :(

Awww, hun :hug: :hug: :hug:

I haven't got any advice, but I hope things get better for you :hug:

ahh hun sorry to hear that. can you forward copy of emails u sent explaining u spelt name wrong. thats so unfair.

marie x

sarafet

i work for an agency, we have had pregnant people work on contracts for us as it is illegal for an agency not to employ someone on grounds of pregnancy

How long have you worked for the agency? Strictly speaking they ARE your employer and you are entitled to the same rights as every other worker. If their client has requested you finish the contract because of the sickness issue then I would speak to the agency, show them the emails you sent and request they find you another assignment.

As you have proof that you let them know you were off sick you haven't breached your contract and they cant use it as a reason not to place you elswhere.
If it is a reputable agency then they would be abe to find you a short term contract.

Good Luck

Hope you get things sorted :hug: I know that pregnancy sickness days can't be included on your official sickness record so hopefully there may be a case for wrongful dismissal. I'd always assumed that they would have to pay you lost wages compensation under those circumstances but don't quote me on that.

Good luck :hug:

Omgosh what a horrible stressful situation you are in that you dont need :twisted: :evil:

Im sorry, i dont have any helpful advice...

Hope it works out for you though :hug: xx

rachie - i will possibly suggest that to the agency, im going to give that other number a phone tomorrow for some advice and see where i stand exactly and what the next step is.

thanks so much for everyones advice :hug:

xxx

oh God thats terrible :(

really hope you manage to get it sorted xxx

Im so very sorry your having to go throught this hunny
i thought you couldnt just sack some on ethat easy theses days
you have verbal then written warnings before dissmissal
and they didnt ring you to check where you where???
if didnt ring work to say i wasnt coming in they would ring me and ask were i was.
it looks like thye where looking for an opening to get rid of you.
it was a genuine mistake and i think theve jumped in and used it.
dont let them get away with it hunny i know you dont want to make waves
but i think wha they have done is wrong
hope you get itsorted out love

big hugs from me
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members