I have been SACKED!!! **SEEN SOLICITOR TODAY**

Vicky_Gazerimmer

Reaction score
So just when I thought all was sorted at worked... I get sacked!

When I told my boss I was pregnant he extended my probabtion period, he then kept on extending it as each one ended. People at work started treating me differently and looking down their noses at me. The stress got so bad for me that I was off work for 4 weeks.

So I returned to work Monday of this week and was worked hard, I was meant to have a 'back to work' meeting and a meeting to discuss the requirements of my prob period so I could keep my job. These meeting kept being put off till today when I get called into the office 15 mins before I was finishing only to be told I was being laid off cause they can't afford me with immediate effect!! No NOTICE NOTHING!!

I think its fair to say I am P@@sed off. Luckily due to the way they have been treating me I have kept thorough diaries and files on it dated for each day and tomorrow I am going to the law centre.

Anyone got any advice?

I have just returned from my solicitors appointment and they think I have a very strong case of sexualk discrimination and unfair dismissal. It does not matter that I have been with the company for less than a year due to the nature of the case. I also took in all my emails, letters and contract with me and we noticed that they contradict my contract in several ways in these emails.

So now I need to write to them with some points and ask for a written document for their reasons and then go back to my solicitor.

OOOHH!! I ma so excited about this I hate when people treat you like your stupid cause you are pregnant, I am enjoy proving them wrong!!

Vicky_Gazerimmer said:
So just when I thought all was sorted at worked... I get sacked!

When I told my boss I was pregnant he extended my probabtion period, he then kept on extending it as each one ended. People at work started treating me differently and looking down their noses at me. The stress got so bad for me that I was off work for 4 weeks.

So I returned to work Monday of this week and was worked hard, I was meant to have a 'back to work' meeting and a meeting to discuss the requirements of my prob period so I could keep my job. These meeting kept being put off till today when I get called into the office 15 mins before I was finishing only to be told I was being laid off cause they can't afford me with immediate effect!! No NOTICE NOTHING!!

I think its fair to say I am P@@sed off. Luckily due to the way they have been treating me I have kept thorough diaries and files on it dated for each day and tomorrow I am going to the law centre.

Anyone got any advice?

Was just going to say the same thing but citezens advice. It may be hard to prove since you were on probation and people on probation 'may' be saked at any time but being off work for stress etc and constantly extending your probation is a good thing on your side.

Good luck tomorrow hun

Try not to worry too much, good luck in finding another job huni[/b]

no adivce just wanted to say sorry you had to work for such arseoles

Bless ya honey u shouldnt have been treated different for being pg hun, sue their asses!!! :evil:

My advice is swindle them for every penny!
plus, if they say they are laying you off, not firing you, they are not legally allowed to emply anyone else into the position or one similar. So keep your eyes open to see if they advertise for new staff, if so this will strengthen your case against them.

Theres was a case where a woman took her employer to court because she was made to finish her work before going home after being sacked, however, that was after the sacking, you could however argue that they would have known at the start of the day that they couldn't 'afford you' which sounds like a b@ll@ocks reason to sack someone to me, and therefore made you finish your days work before firing you.

As you have been keeping a diary, definitely visit citizens advice babe - they sound like rotten employers! I would expect my staff to take me to tribunal if I made them finish their working day then told them they didn;t have to come back because I couldn't afford them! Makes me cross, I take it they don't have employment advisors to help keep themselves out of court!!

Do you mind me asking if they are a large company or a smaller company?

Also, there are a couple of girls on the site who work in HR so will be able to advise you more accurately, we employ advisors to help with this kind of thing so I am going off what I remember from going on seminars babe - but sounds like a pile of poo to me!

You have every right to be peeved! :hug:

Just chatting to my OH and he reminded me that you can;t take your employer to court for unfair dismissal unless you have been employed by them for 12 months....however I just found this site on t'interweb http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/monster/empf3.html and point 5 under exceptions is:
Where dismissal is linked with pregnancy and maternity rights
You could argue that the difficulties started when you announced you were pg, and as a related sickness to the pg you were signed of by GP for stress etc this obviously wouldn;t have looked great to an employer.
Click on the link above babe, and read the introduction under Maternity Rights too....

Definitely got to the CAB. They will help you. My OH knows contract law. I can ask his advise when he gets back from holiday tomorrow if you like.

My step-dad recently had probs with work reducing his hours and pay etc then getting him out, all becasue he broke his hip. They are going for comensation due to loss of earnings I think.

yeah get to CAB,
I'd see if you can find out if they are readvertising the postition, may be get a friend to phone up!
if they are really nasty you can always contact ther gloucester citizen paper - they love stories like that!

Vicky_Gazerimmer said:

Exact same thing happened to me once (although I wasn't pregnant).

In hindsight I often wonder if I should have tried to do something about it , officially.

Although as a probationer you wouldn't have too many rights, it might be worth seeking advice, maybe from the Citizens advice beureau?

Thing is he extended it the day after I told them and then again 3 weeks later. I signed nothing to confirm this, and in my contract there is nothing stating that they reserve the right to extend it.

I am so annoyed about this situation its unbelievable!!

so sorry to hear this news vicky, hope things get sorted. :hug:

Its rotten what they have done to me, people seem to forgot that pregnant women have rights too!

I've just read your update. Well done you!! Don't give up, fight it all the way!! :clap: :clap:

glad you have a case...good luck with it

Rahhh go you!

Hopefully they will get scared of being taken to court and will want to settle and pay you a nice lump of cash. Then you can go to your office, pull your pants down and wee all over the bosses desk!

Hi Vicky,

Just read your update - glad to hear you are able to do something about it - it's an outrage that they think they can dismiss you without good reason!! Have they not put anything in writing about this to you at all yet - if not then they really are muppets - and definitely aren't following the book!!

Keep us posted with how yet get on - Good Luck babe :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back