I feel like i don't care enough :(

redbear

Reaction score
This is my first baby so you would think i would worry about what jabs the baby should have, delayed cord clamping etc but honestly i dont care about any of it.

They have been having babies for thousands of years and managed just fine without worrying. But i feel bad for thinking this way. But then again i hear so many different opinions from different people and i wonder actually how much difference it all makes.

Most people Ive spoke to base there beliefs on one wikipedia article they have found and say some people somewhere in the world have found a 1 in 10 billion chance it will cause this so i'm not doing it, and i feel some of it is a bit OTT. I want a healthy baby but whats wrong with trusting the doctors to do what they have done every day in there medical career?

I also want to donate the cord blood so dont want delayed clamping, I would rather help save someone else's life in the future than the baby get it, Which again makes me feel terrible but again they have been cutting cords for long enough and people are perfectly healthy.

I'm the same with the MMR jab, my dad didn't have it and got measles, it almost killed him and because it went into his eyes he has had to wear glasses like bottle bottoms for the last 40 years and now is loosing his sight. So i struggle to take people seriously when they try to tell me the damage not having it can do, because i look at my dad and think well it didn't do him any good not having it!

I just feel like i should be more bothered and have it set in my mind what i'm against/ for but honestly i'm happy to leave them all to do there thing and give the baby any jabs they want. I feel terrible lol x

I am the same Hun i am going with what advice they give at my hospital.

I think there is too much choice and too Many incredible articles put there that scare people!

They rnt gonna do anything that will harm the baby so they r the professionals at the end of the day.

Thank you very much! I'm so glad it's not just me! If something saves my child from getting a problem or disease and has a stupidly small chance of a side effect I'm gonna do it!

As for cord blood donation I'm with you on that but they don't bloody do it at my hospital, I emailed the people and they never got back to me :(

My cord was cut immediately, I had a vit k injection etc and I have had the mmr jab and I am fine
Risk is far outweighed by the benefitds!

I am the same Hun i am going with what advice they give at my hospital.

I think there is too much choice and too Many incredible articles put there that scare people!

They rnt gonna do anything that will harm the baby so they r the professionals at the end of the day.

That's what i think but then i get all these opinions where people have sat and researched it and i just think why am i not sat reading up on it all?

And there is so much you don't know what rubbish or whats right... Like my mum said she was told to lie my brother on his side and put a pillow behind his back so he wouldn't roll on his back so if he was sick he wouldn't choke,

now they need to be on there back to help stop cot death, It all changes that often i keep thinking do they actually know what they are talking about?
I mean all the fancy articles in the world can convince you of something it doesn't mean its right, a few months ago they where saying chocolate causes cancer. Now dark chocolate is good for you!

I read an article in the paper that obese mothers have obese babies and its bad for them, the following week and article saying underweight pregnant women are putting there babies at more risk.... Make your bloody mind up! lol xx

I think most of parenting is natural instincts! You can't get that wrong! I'm even starting to think alot of problems during birth are due to medical intervention. People give birth around the globe without epidurals etc, having said that I'm sure I'll be screaming for one when I'm in there lmao!!

I also agree, there are going to be pros and cons to every decision, we as parents will probabally never get every decision right so i just think go with proffessional advice and try to do our best. I have stopped looking into articles and websites and other stories as i jut find it worries or confuses me so i am personally just going to go with what my doctors or midwifes think is best. xx

Me too, i try not to read what 'could' go wrong, i think it can just scare you and stress you out. I 'could' get killed tomorrow in an accident but you cant think like that. Plus like you said advice/research changes so often. Obviously we care about our babies and want them to be happy and healthy, but i dont think obsessing about every little aspect will much change anything x

Each to their own - some people (myself most def included) love to research things - I don't just do it for having a baby I have done it with everything in life :)

We all have to do what we feel is best - whether that is spending hours researching or letting the medical staff do their thing - it doesn't make you a better or worse parent.

I would say the reason I don't leave it up to the medical staff is not because I don't totally trust their judegment it is because I want to feel like I have some control over what happens to my baby and my body and I agree with pinky princess that medical interventations are the reason for a lot of problems with birth.

Each to their own - some people (myself most def included) love to research things - I don't just do it for having a baby I have done it with everything in life :)

We all have to do what we feel is best - whether that is spending hours researching or letting the medical staff do their thing - it doesn't make you a better or worse parent.

I would say the reason I don't leave it up to the medical staff is not because I don't totally trust their judegment it is because I want to feel like I have some control over what happens to my baby and my body and I agree with pinky princess that medical interventations are the reason for a lot of problems with birth.

Your like my mum! She's a lecturer and reasearches EVERYTHING! and write's lots of lists! lol

i honestly dont think anyone can deny that research into the best things for your health and the health of your children isn't worth listening to though?

my parents and older people often say to me 'we didn't have to worry so much back then, all this info is crap' well when I was a baby, cot death numbers were a lot higher and have dropped significantly - due to research and advice given out by the NHS. Of course there will be conflicting advice for sometime but eventually they work out the best way to go.

I dont blame people for thinking the way you do but at the same time, if advice such as the clamping is offered, why not take it - it might change again in 5 years time, but then again, it might not!? x

I think there is definitely a personal preference to how u make/think about medically related decisions. I am a clinical research scientist and obviously being more scientific in thought I like to know the pros and cons of what things are about. In all honesty I have worked with doctors and hospitals and treating medical conditions for years and there are some things I would def follow with medical advise and other things I wouldn't. It's just that we do have a choice as to what happens to our bodies and our babies. What is good for one person is not always good for another. It's good to have an open mind in my opinion

I think there is definitely a personal preference to how u make/think about medically related decisions. I am a clinical research scientist and obviously being more scientific in thought I like to know the pros and cons of what things are about. In all honesty I have worked with doctors and hospitals and treating medical conditions for years and there are some things I would def follow with medical advise and other things I wouldn't. It's just that we do have a choice as to what happens to our bodies and our babies. What is good for one person is not always good for another. It's good to have an open mind in my opinion

haha, well said FL, a lot more constructive than my message lol xx

i honestly dont think anyone can deny that research into the best things for your health and the health of your children isn't worth listening to though?

my parents and older people often say to me 'we didn't have to worry so much back then, all this info is crap' well when I was a baby, cot death numbers were a lot higher and have dropped significantly - due to research and advice given out by the NHS. Of course there will be conflicting advice for sometime but eventually they work out the best way to go.

I dont blame people for thinking the way you do but at the same time, if advice such as the clamping is offered, why not take it - it might change again in 5 years time, but then again, it might not!? x

I'm with you on things like cot death etc, but all the whoha people were going through about having a Flu Jab, because of an isolated problem in Ireland. Somthing like that saves more lives then causes problems so I'm inclined to have it! I felt the same about the CVS test. It had a 98% chance of going right so I took that chance.

I think what we are thinking is that we are happy to go along with what the proffesionals advise and trust them (within reason of course) rather than doing lots of our own research. Obviously medical procedures are always going to progress, child birth for our children will probably have changed a lot by the time their turn comes.

I'm with you on things like cot death etc, but all the whoha people were going through about having a Flu Jab, because of an isolated problem in Ireland. Somthing like that saves more lives then causes problems so I'm inclined to have it! I felt the same about the CVS test. It had a 98% chance of going right so I took that chance.[/QUOTE]

These are the kind of things i mean, i would rather take the 98% chance of something working and all being well than stress over the 2%. There are so many things to worry about i think you could drive yourself mad x

Your like my mum! She's a lecturer and reasearches EVERYTHING! and write's lots of lists! lol

That's what I am LOL just finished my PhD last year so think it must be in my blood :)

That's what I am LOL just finished my PhD last year so think it must be in my blood :)

My mum's super mum. She had me at 20 with not many qualifications was a single mum bringing me up, AND got her PhD!!! Unfortunalty I havn't inherrited her brains lol!

I will take advice, but from the doctors and midwifes not other people who most of the time have just googled for the con's, you can google almost anything and most of the websites are wrong about a lot of things, If i thought someone had actually sat and read books and studies i would listen but most dont. I guess its my mistrust of the crap thats on the internet rather than the people.
I just think people get too worked up over little things.
And with the advice and studies changing every week i honestly dont see the point in thinking about it.
But then you get people trying to tell you this is bad and that (my best friends boyfriend gave me a lecture) and i thought fuck off you sound like a moron who doesn't actually know what your talking about!! He said MMR jabs are not good and cause autism, i said why do they? He didn't know, couldn't back it up, didn't know what he was talking about really just something he had heard from his uncle (who also claims man kind where never suposed to eat meat its a modern thing, i asked why there are cave painting of hunters and why we used to drive mamoths off cliffs then... he couldn't answer')
So in sort i have thought to myself i can't trust what anyone else says so i will trust the midwife and doctor who lets face it deal with babies evey single day.

BTW my friend and her bf has never had a kid so i was pissed off listening to them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back