I don't know how to tell if she's ill or grumpy :(

kalia

Reaction score
Please excuse these ramblings, I just need to vent.

As a foetus Gabrielle had swollen kidneys (renal pelvis dilation). The day after she was born I couldn't go to the ultrasound with her as I was on crutches and it was at the other side of the hospital. OH wasn't in yet and they don't give results to the nurses. It was 6 hours (and a huge strop on my part) before we were given the results - all clear and she'd have a routine scan at 6 weeks.

The health visitor chased up about the scan when Gabrielle was 5 weeks and discovered that an appointment hadn't been made so she got one for us for 7 weeks (which was as soon as possible). At this scan we're told that she still has renal pyelactasis. It was hard to hear what the paediatrician was saying as although Gabrielle was really good for most the scan, the last bit had her facing away from me and she'd got really upset. Through the screaming I did get the impression that the doctor thought we had been attending a clinic. We got the letter about the clinic today and it is obviously aimed at newborns and says she'll likely be put on antibiotics.

So we were given the all clear when things were not fine, they lost her details in the system somewhere, she has an appointment next week that she should have had 7 weeks ago and we've not known that she was at risk of urinary tract infections that could damage her kidneys! We were told about the UTIs and preventative antibiotics before she was born but haven't thought any more about it since she was given the all-clear at birth.

She's not been herself the last few days and I don't know what to do because I've never asked anyone what to look out for as we thought she was fine. The handy note from the hospital says that "it is very important to ask for medical help early if your baby has a fever or is unwell" it doesn't say who to ask for this help from and how to know she's unwell - she might just have not slept well and be a bit more tired than usual for all I know!!!!!!
:cry:

Well done if you got to the end of this!

id say call your doctors/consultant if you have one. Explain the situation as you have done to us. ANd tell them you dont know what the signs of Gabrielle being unwell are. Ask if its possible to come in and see someone who can talk you through everything again as you didnt fully understand when it was first discussed.

If you are concerned then take her to A and E now.

You could call nhs direct, or your doctors, see if there is an out of hours number mabey.

Failing those, just take her to a and e if you are worried.

I would call NHS direct. I would imagine they'll advise you to get an emergency appt at your doctors (that's what they normally do if it's a baby health concern)...

0845 4647

Poor Gabrielle. I hope you both feel better soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back