I’ve taken Trimethoprim in 1st month of pregnancy - how likely are birth defects?

maryjane23

Reaction score
Help! I’ve just found out that I’m pregnant, however, 2 weeks ago I was prescribed the antibiotic Trimethoprim for a urinary tract infection, which I took for 5 days (100mg 2x a day).
The doctor told me I wasn’t pregnant when she gave me the Trimethoprim (I guess it was too early to show in their test). But I’ve since discovered that Trimethoprim can cause birth defects as it inhibits folic acid metabolism. I know I didn’t get pregnant AFTER taking this, as I haven’t had sex since before the infection.
I’m also on holiday right now, so unable to get to my GP for over a weeks time.
I’m REALLY anxious, and want to know if anyone else has taken Trimethoprim in pregnancy in the very early stages of pregnancy and if they were affected?
I’m now taking folic acid - but could the damage be done already?

How many weeks r u? Chances r it won't have caused any damage cos placenta doesn't take over for a few weeks after conception. Try not 2 worry about it,I bet most ppl have taken something they shouldn't or drunk 2 excess in the weeks b4 findin out they're pg xx

thanks so much for your reply, they're really helpful and have given me some reassurance, so I'm not going to stress about it, and I'll just see how it goes when I get the 1st scan (I'll reply on here when I know how it goes).
I know there's no certainties even if you do everything right, but I'm sure reducing stress has got to help, so thanks for helping me with that!!

I agree with Emma , MaryJane - it sounds so very early on, many don't even start taking folic acid as part of pregnancy vitamins till after they find out they are pregant, so most people don't get the folic acid very early on, most development will be from now onwards and your taking them now and off the antibiotics so all sounds lovely X Congrats on your pregnancy Hun X

My GP prescribed me Trimethoprim when I had a urinary tract infection. I told her I thought I might be pregnant - and she said it was the best one to take if you were expecting.

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done!)

thanks ladies, you're both right, I'm sure things will be fine, and overall I am so happy to be pregnant, I don't want to let a worry about something that I've got no control over spoil that. :)

Hi - I just found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant and I'm really worried because I was prescribed a 7 day course of trimethoprim for a UTI 2 weeks ago and I didnt know I was pregnant.

I have roughly calculated that when i started the AB's it would have been 1-2 since conception which from what i have read is the crucial time for neural development. Just by chance i started taking folic acid with 4 days left on the trimethoprim course so i hope this helped???

I saw my GP who said I had to wait till 12 wk scan and she couldn't say it would be fine - just that 'its not ideal'. I dont think I can wait that long!

Shall i go back and ask for an early 6 wk scan? Has anyone experienced or know of a similar situation
Im just so worried and really really hope its all going to fine :(

no point in an early scan to check for defects as baby wont be developed enough... too small of cells and that, only see a heartbeat at about 6 weeks nothing more so I wouldnt worry inless you start bleeding x

Thanks - I need to stay positive i guess. I think with the worry i having started feeling pains/cramps and cant stand for long periods. I dont remember any of this when i had my 1st son who is 14 yrs now but I was a lot younger then !

i got it a few times thru my pg... u cant worry, i mean seriously they say apples can cause cancer! relax and enjoy ur holiday xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back