Hypnobirthing

Urchin

Reaction score
I am reading the book for this, which Valentine has lent me, I just wondered if anyone else did it and how they found it?

I'm struggling a bit with the relaxation techniques, not only finding time but I generally read in bed and I get relaxed and fall asleep before I finish practicing LOL

Any tips anyone?

Practice in the bath so if you fall asleep the drowning will wake you :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I didn't get the CDs as I figured I'd fall asleep listening to them and forget it all in labour anyway so I can't help I'm afraid.

I also read the book (and listened to the CD) and it took me a while to get to grips with the relaxation but I got it with some practise. I felt listening to the CD really helped. I'm sure I must still have the CD somewhere if you want it?

Urchin...I did a hypnobirthing course and read the book and absolutely loved them both. They made a huge difference to how I viewed the birth and I ended up feeling so much calmer and not scared at all.
I have the relaxation CD here. Do you have it? If not, I can copy it and send it to you if you like? I listened to it every night leading up to the birth and it was great.
Let me know. Also if you have any other questions.
Lxx :hug:

The book has a CD in the back, but I haven't listened to it yet :oops:

I don't have a CD player in the bedroom, I should take the laptop up really.

I listened to mine on the dvd player in my room.....sometimes I fell asleep listening to it but apparently that's ok because it means you're relaxed and still taking it in

Will you be trying hypnobirthing out then Urchin?

Urchin said:
The book has a CD in the back, but I haven't listened to it yet :oops:

I don't have a CD player in the bedroom, I should take the laptop up really.

That must be the same book then. It is really worth listening to the CD. The woman's voice is VERY irritating/weird but once you've listened to it a couple of times you forget that.

You will get most benefit from it if you listen to it every night/day. Night is better obviously because hopefully it will help you to get off to sleep too. If you do fall asleep then that's fine as it will still sink in.

Even with my hypnobirthing course we were told to practice the techniques daily.

I would say, go for it. You've got nothing to lose and it really, really helped me.

Lucyx

kazlin said:
Will you be trying hypnobirthing out then Urchin?

I've only read about half the book, and am due in 2 weeks, so I don't think I'll have time to do it properly, but I'll give some of the breathing/relaxation techniques a go :)

If you do go ahead remember to let us know if you found it beneficial :D

I used to put my Relaxation CD on every night before bed and eventually it was sending me off to sleep within 5mins, it was great :D and when I started re-listening to it recently it did the same thing, so my mind remembered 10months on :lol:

The CD is helping you to stay relaxed, calm, and it doesn't matter if you fall asleep, as Lucy says :hug: if you listen to it whilst in labour your mind and body WILL remember :wink:

Because I now have Isaac, I'm finding the best times to do any of the techniques is at night, but I'm naturally more relaxed then anyway. Seeing as you don't have too long, spend as much time on your breathing ones as poss I'd suggest. You can practise your J breath whilst poo'ing :wink: 5mins twice a day for the others, minimum, if you can, so your body becomes attune to it.

The visualisation techniques don't need to be practised until the very last weeks/days anyway, so you can still look at them if you want. Relaxation should be daily, but the fear release just weekly, as well as the light touch massage if you're doing that, though it doesn't need much practise, who doesn't like light touch massage? hehe All the deepening ones daily in last few weeks too.

Fact is you don't have to do them all everyday. You don't have to do them all. Just practise the techniques you feel work for you :hug: You've already had 2 babies, your body's quite attuned to birthing now, so anything you add to that will help I'm sure :hug:

Don't know if that helps, I've not looked at the book for a looooooong time :lol: Very best wishes with it Urchin :hug:

mrs_tommo22 said:
I have no idea Urchin, but Redshoes is a expert on it!

Not an expert :shock: :lol: but very very passionate about it and its possible implications for all pregnant ladies to have a fear free birth :hug:

I did it. I was really sceptical about it all but gave the book and cd a go anyway and I can honestly say it made a positive impact for me! I only started doing it about 3/4 weeks before I was due so any little bit is better than nothing :)

I did the CD during the day and enjoyed the naps! :sleep: It gave me a time to focus on relaxing as I tend to be a bit on the go, although Iwould say this would not be possible now with the little man running about :rotfl:

Anyway, give it a go, I had a good birthing experience as I was feeling very calm and positive. Afterwards everyone commented on my mental focus.

Do let us know how you go xx

I've done the course too and planning a hypnobirth. It is the best thing I could have done, I am so calm and relaxed about the whole process (which is very unusal for me - I am the worrying queen!!)

I should practice everyday, now and again I don't, but in general I do a relaxation and breathing exercise in the morning, sometimes I drop off to sleep, sometimes I don't. I also do the exercises with the CD whilst OH does my perineal massage - it has made that a lot more comfortable!

I do some visualisations and breathing in the bath, but tend not to listen to ipod in case I drift off.

I have to say though - I think I need to make sure I practise every day because yesterday I had an intense practice surge (contraction) and I tensed up and couldn't get into the breathing until it had amost passed.

I read about practising coping with pain by holding an ice cube for a 60 second contraction. I don't know if that would be helpful for you :think:

We did the ice-cube exercise on my course and it was amazing. Without the techniques I held it for about 15 seconds and it was agony. Using the techniques, I held it until it had melted!

HUH?
I'm confused about the ice cube LOL, do you use it to breathe through pain?

Also I'm a bit confused about birth breathing, the "J" shape, the book tells you to breathe in, then doesn't really give much detail about the exhale.

Help?!

Is this the book by Marie Mongan? I wanted to get a book & CD but wasn't sure which one was good.

yeah it s a book with a CD in the back, the CD is about 30 mins of her talking to relaxing music telling you to breathe LOL I listen to it every night.

Last night I had bad BHs though and TBH I found myself thinking of the BH and ignoring the CD :oops:

i did it.. and it didnt help me in labour think i was to worried about being to out of it to do anything.. whats the womans name the morgan method? i should have put my cd on in labour 4got to lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back