How much do you get for child benefit?

CARNAT22

Reaction score
We all get that right? Regardless of earnings?

xxxxxxxxxx

Its £20.13 a week for the first child. If one of you earns more than £40k then I believe you're not entitled. However if you both earn £38k each then you're still entitled to it.

Make sense? No...I didn't think so either. Stupid government.

Its £20.13 a week for the first child. If one of you earns more than £40k then I believe you're not entitled. However if you both earn £38k each then you're still entitled to it.

Make sense? No...I didn't think so either. Stupid government.

We're both under the threashold, do you sort it out once baby arrives?

I am just trying to do a few calculations - SMP doesn't go that far!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

Once you've got the birth certificate you can send the forms off. The forms are in the final bounty pack I think. Tax credit forms you have send off. Think it took about 2 weeks or something for the child benefit to come through but longer for the tax credits.

Sorry if this is stupid but what are tax credits?

xxxxxxxxx

Is that 38k before or after tax?? My OH earns over 40k before tax not sure how much after tax, but after all those taxes we pay I hope we are entitled to something!

Directgov website confuses me.

Tax credits are complicated! You can visit http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/TAXCREDITS/ to find out if you are entitled. In some cases you are also entitled to help with child care costs, again though this all depends on how much you earn, how many hours you are working etc.
As far as the child benefit goes, the hospital will give you a Bounty pack when you have the baby and the forms are in there. It's £20.13 a week, less for the second child.

I think it's before tax. Me or my partner aren't even remotely near it so not sure but I remember it being on the news.

Tax credits are there to boost your earnings. If you or your partner work more than 16 hours a week you can apply for child and working tax credits (I don't know the cut off points though but I know theyve been lowered). If you're both working then you both need to be working over 24 hours each. (it used to 16 hours but they've made it harder to claim :wall: )

Is that 38k before or after tax?? My OH earns over 40k before tax not sure how much after tax, but after all those taxes we pay I hope we are entitled to something!

Directgov website confuses me.

It's earnings and not take home , but it's a new rule so is likely to change again in the very near future , I believe you are purpose still register for it but won't actually receive it at the moment , if that's any clearer . xx

They have changed it now I think so if you earn under 40k pre tax you get the whole lot thenit decreases by 10% for every 2k over that you earn so if you earn 60k for example you dont get at all. I think that is right - dont quote me on it!!
xxx

No wonder the country's screwed is jt?! Not sure about child benefit, but for tax credits, if you go to entitled.co.uk there's a calculator that's really useful!

They have changed it now I think so if you earn under 40k pre tax you get the whole lot thenit decreases by 10% for every 2k over that you earn so if you earn 60k for example you dont get at all. I think that is right - dont quote me on it!!
xxx
Yes I believe this is currently what they're doing with people who were entitled before and no longer entitled now , in order to phase it out slowly , but I thought they stopped new claims straight away , I may have it wrong , I'm also no where near that amount of earnings either . xx

Last edited:
This country is backwards..

Yep totally! I can truly say I didnt play a part in it! Im a labour girl! How many of u voted for the t***s??

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Why would anybody who earns over £38k a year need £20.13 a week?! Seriously!

Same here! They probably wouldn't even notice it go in their banks! x

Please don't presume ladies. My hubby earns that working for the public sector. He's not some wealthy person, just a teacher. They then take a huge amount off him in Tax, then he has to pay a huge amount in pension, then pay back a tonne in student loans. It's not poverty line, but it's far from being in a position where we don't watch our bank accounts.

Also, why should he not get it? When he's paid just as much if not likely more towards it in his taxes?!?

There often comes a point where the ones just over threshhold are getting less in 'income' than ones below... That's no reward for hard work.

Everyone lives differently and when you take into account a mortgage, bills, paying back student loans, other loans etc at the end of the month hardly anything is left especially when there is a family to take care of.

It's not about the £20.13 - but I am saying with the taxes paid they should be able to get something back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back