• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How much do you get for child benefit?

Please don't presume ladies. My hubby earns that working for the public sector. He's not some wealthy person, just a teacher. They then take a huge amount off him in Tax, then he has to pay a huge amount in pension, then pay back a tonne in student loans. It's not poverty line, but it's far from being in a position where we don't watch our bank accounts.

Also, why should he not get it? When he's paid just as much if not likely more towards it in his taxes?!?

There often comes a point where the ones just over threshhold are getting less in 'income' than ones below... That's no reward for hard work.

I agree completely

Why would anybody who earns over £38k a year need £20.13 a week?! Seriously!

Somebody who is only getting SMP would need it hun!!

To go from a decent salary to £134 a week is very tough!

xxxxxxxxx

I doubt very much that the ones just over the threshold are getting less in income than the majority of those below...

I think the £40k cutoff is unfair. Not because of the amount as I do think that it seems like a reasonable place for a cutoff. However it totally handicaps middle class families. A family with 2 earning £38k each can still claim it so pretax earn £76k. Whereas another family earning barely over £40k from one earner while the other stays at home isn't entitled to it. Makes no sense at all.

Anyway I'm not starting a debate over who deserves money etc etc.

Aren't alot of the rich list tories or tory supporters MMmmm interesting maybe . lol

Last edited:
The new rules on the child tax credit aren't in yet as we receive it for Harry and hubby earns over £40k

It's there for everyone as we all pay taxes. When we receive it I put it in a separate account for Harry so I can use it for stuff for him like clothes and toys

It's the only thing we do get from the government so I for one will happy take and spend it before it gets taken off us next year.

With your comments, I think that's exactly what you did... and we're just as 'deserving' thank you very much.

Apologies if I might come across a little heated, but I wouldn't try and imagine/generalise the position of people who earn less than me so expect the same courtesy in return.

With your comments, I think that's exactly what you did... and we're just as 'deserving' thank you very much.

Apologies if I might come across a little heated, but I wouldn't try and imagine/generalise the position of people who earn less than me so expect the same courtesy in return.

Thats just my opinion...

Like Nat said, when you go from earning a decent wage to going to SMP its a big cut, and me and DH will be living on the breadline and pretty much entitled to nothing.

I think the £40k cutoff is unfair. Not because of the amount as I do think that it seems like a reasonable place for a cutoff. However it totally handicaps middle class families. A family with 2 earning £38k each can still claim it so pretax earn £76k. Whereas another family earning barely over £40k from one earner while the other stays at home isn't entitled to it. Makes no sense at all.

I'm not saying right or wrong buy one way of looking at it is that of one person is not working they will have lower child are costs as a family.

I will probably not qualify for child benefit under the new rules, in additions salary next year will creep just into higher tax so will only half the childcare voucher. I pay a shed load of tax and NI but get very little back. As above we do ok but once paying for full time childcare will have a huge impact on our finances.

Its £20.13 a week for the first child. If one of you earns more than £40k then I believe you're not entitled. However if you both earn £38k each then you're still entitled to it.

Make sense? No...I didn't think so either. Stupid government.

We're both under the threashold, do you sort it out once baby arrives?

I am just trying to do a few calculations - SMP doesn't go that far!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

You get the form in your bounty pack, register your baby and send it away ASAP...!!!xxz

The new rules on the child tax credit aren't in yet as we receive it for Harry and hubby earns over £40k

It's there for everyone as we all pay taxes. When we receive it I put it in a separate account for Harry so I can use it for stuff for him like clothes and toys

It's the only thing we do get from the government so I for one will happy take and spend it before it gets taken off us next year.

We're going to do the same. :) I'm putting all the money away for special bits. :) It's all we have of the government too so I will spend it happily. :) Especially after all the tax DH and I have paid over the years.

I think the £40k cut off is a bit harsh. Should be a joint cut off worked out by what both partners will have in income once the baby is born. As if the wife is on £30k say and then goes on leave that's a big drop in money.

Just a correction ladies it is actually £20.30 :)

Its not fair they have a 40k threshold it should be joint income!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

I agree with CARNAT. Neither of us earn over £40k but going to £134 SMP a week that extra £20 is going to help!!

Last edited:
Why would anybody who earns over £38k a year need £20.13 a week?! Seriously!

Just be because someone earns this type of wage does not mean that they aren't entitled and can afford luxuries in life. When you take into account tax,NI contributons and other deductions there isn't much left. I think it's very narrow minded to assume that people who earn this shouldn't be entitled to there £20.13, afterall they pay taxes like everyone else.

When your wage is cut to just smp it is hard and I know that I am already having to start saving to cover the costs of this, luckily it is only for 7 weeks but I still need to make sure I have money to pay my bills.

Like I said, just my opinion...
I'm not here to argue about it.

I think it should be a joint level for the cut off point that would be fairer. Out of interest I used a tax calculator and somebody on 38k a year would pay £9,627.96 in tax and NI and then whatever that had in student loans back on that amount too and then pension on that if they have one.

TBH I think the bigger issue for many is that SMP is pretty low at £134 per week! So unless the other partner is earning a massive amount people are going to have to drop to a very small income and still find money for bills.

Doon.. Definatley! It shouldn't just be capped for one income.
I have wondered how someone can just live on 135 a week smp if this was the only income? It is madness but I can't see it increasing anytime soon, not under this government!

Sorry, am I mis-reading it but the directgov website doesn't mention earning limits at all. Can someone clarify? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back