How many & at what stage does your NHS offer scans?

Bee said:
I am in Stirling which is 40/50 minutes from Edinburgh and Glasgow and I had a 12 weeks scan and a 20 week scan.

My sister has a scan at 5 weeks (cos she didn't know her dates), 12 weeks, 20 weeks then another at 30 something as baby was measuring too big. Same area as me.

I'm the same. I missed my 12 week (by a long shot) but have had a 20 week (well, 23 week) anomaly scan, a 28 week to check growth and I'm having another at 30 weeks to have one final check on the placenta. The consultant told me the last one isn't entirely necessary as the placenta is no longer near my cervix at 28 weeks but will use it to try to narrow down my due date a bit more.

It's such a joke that neighbouring health boards have different policies on this. Today the department was SO quiet (though that's rare) and there was nobody else in for a scan when I went in, when I came out and after my anti-d injection (just along the corridor) over an hour later.

daftscotslass said:
Bee said:
I am in Stirling which is 40/50 minutes from Edinburgh and Glasgow and I had a 12 weeks scan and a 20 week scan.

My sister has a scan at 5 weeks (cos she didn't know her dates), 12 weeks, 20 weeks then another at 30 something as baby was measuring too big. Same area as me.

I'm the same. I missed my 12 week (by a long shot) but have had a 20 week (well, 23 week) anomaly scan, a 28 week to check growth and I'm having another at 30 weeks to have one final check on the placenta. The consultant told me the last one isn't entirely necessary as the placenta is no longer near my cervix at 28 weeks but will use it to try to narrow down my due date a bit more.

It's such a joke that neighbouring health boards have different policies on this. Today the department was SO quiet (though that's rare) and there was nobody else in for a scan when I went in, when I came out and after my anti-d injection (just along the corridor) over an hour later.

When I went for my 20 week scan the scanning bit was empty too but it appeared from the date I was given for my 12 week scan (4 weeks later at 16 weeks) that there is a waiting list. I think our hospital is just lazy :lol:

It's unfair there is differing scans in different areas, I think all women should have at least 2 free scans from the NHS. We have a 12wk and 20wk scan here, then we're paying for one at around 28wks, as we did with Isaac, it breaks up the 20wk-term time of not 'seeing' LO :lol:

Thanks girls - thats reassured me that Im not just over-anxious! Its really interesting how its different all over the country isnt it? Oh well, wish me luck! My (one and only) scan is on Monday! x

In Bristol you just get one at 20 weeks, that's it. Los of people pay for a 12 week one which is about £120 at the local private hospital although I didn't with Elliott as we couldn't afford it at the time.

When I was in hospital for my m/c at 10 weeks there were women there who were 13 and 14 weeks and had only found out that they had had a missed m/c by having a private scan, I think that's appalling. It could easily have been me. Losing that late on is traumatic enough, the longer you go on the worse it is so I believe strongly that you should have one at 12 weeks and one at 20 where they can see everything clearly and do the measurements etc.

I also think that if you have lost pregnancies early on then you should be offered a reassurance scan at about 8 weeks, especially given the results of trials linking stress to m/c.

+++

Rosebay said:
In Bristol you just get one at 20 weeks, that's it. Los of people pay for a 12 week one which is about £120 at the local private hospital although I didn't with Elliott as we couldn't afford it at the time

where abouts in bristol are you? I'm in bristol and i got my two scans and i'm low risk pregnancy, i dont know anyone thats jsut had the one? my friend was high risk as shes had lukemia and they gave her a scan at 7 weeks as well

abcd1234 said:
Rosebay said:
In Bristol you just get one at 20 weeks, that's it. Los of people pay for a 12 week one which is about £120 at the local private hospital although I didn't with Elliott as we couldn't afford it at the time

where abouts in bristol are you? I'm in bristol and i got my two scans and i'm low risk pregnancy, i dont know anyone thats jsut had the one? my friend was high risk as shes had lukemia and they gave her a scan at 7 weeks as well

Really?? OMG! I'm in the Southville/Bedminster BS3 area so at Granby House for maternity care going to St Michael's. Where do you live? My OH is a journalist so if it's not even the same across the City that's even worse and there's a story there!

+++

I'm at St Michaels but i live in Brislington it shouldn't make any difference though! I cant beleive it's different in the same place!

This article on the BBC is interesting reading Pasted it below also.

NHS maternity care varies widely

An independent review of maternity services in England has highlighted huge variations in the quality of care. Around 70% of NHS trusts in London were classed as "least well performing", whereas most trusts in the north were ranked fairly high.

The Healthcare Commission report also highlighted problems with staffing and inadequate screening checks. Health Secretary Alan Johnson announced extra funding for maternity services over the next three years.

It is the first time such a wide-ranging review of maternity services has been carried out. Just over a quarter of the 148 trusts assessed were classed as "best performing" on 25 factors which included screening tests, ante-natal care and midwife support. But 21% of trusts fell into the "least well performing" category.

In London, antenatal and postnatal care tended to be consistently poorer, with women not having as many checks as recommended, and inconsistent quality of care around the time of birth. In contrast, in the North, 33 out of 44 trusts were ranked as "better performing" or "best performing". The review, which also took into account a survey of 26,000 mothers, was launched in response to concerns about maternity services.

Data collected from trusts showed that 40% of ultrasound scans carried out fail to fully check for abnormalities in unborn babies. A quarter of trusts reported breast feeding initiation rates of 58% or less, while the highest performing trusts reported rates of 78% or more. A third of hospitals did not have the recommended level of attendance by consultants.

And nine trusts had only 26 midwives per 1,000 deliveries compared with an average of 31 midwives per 1000 deliveries - experts recommend 36 per 1,000 to achieve one-to-one care.

Anna Walker, the Commission's chief executive, said care in the worst performing trusts was not unsafe and they would take immediate action if it was. She added that there were real concerns about maternity care in London and trusts need to "rise to the challenges" faced in the capital.

Mary Newburn, of the National Childbirth Trust, said: "Women can be emotionally traumatised by a lack of support when they are in labour or coping with a new baby, and can be left needing months of physical or psychological recovery with long-term scars."

Dame Karlene Davis, general secretary of the Royal College of Midwives, said maternity care was suffering from lack of funds and midwives. "Midwives want to give high quality care but they are pushing a large rock up a very steep hill."

The Royal College says 5,000 extra midwives are needed, to cope with the rising birth rates. Health Secretary Alan Johnson announced extra funding for maternity services that will increase over the next three years to reach an additional £122m annually. He said the funds would help ensure women get a choice over where to give birth, improve flexibility of maternity services' opening hours and increase the number of midwives and support staff.

"I want to see the NHS delivering a gold standard of maternity services for women in every part of the country," he said.

I've just thought, St Michael has a specific room for early dating scans so theres really no reason why they shouldn't have offered you one, apparently southmead is the same

abcd1234 said:
I've just thought, St Michael has a specific room for early dating scans so theres really no reason why they shouldn't have offered you one, apparently southmead is the same

Well friends of mine who have had to go to the EPU at St Michaels have had one but only when they're in pain or bleeding, otherwise it's just the 20 week scan we've been offered. When I had the missed m/c in September St Michaels EPU was closed so I went to Southmead and stayed there overnight and they scanned me in the morning but I asked the Dr if I could ask for an early scan next time and she suggested that I lie about pain or bleeding in order to get one!! I couldn't do that in case of temping fate but it suggests that they're very stretched. I'll see if I can get my OH to put in some infomation requests about how many scans women get offered in different parts of the City.

+++

thats rediculous!!! I really cant beleive they do that, i never asked for my first scan and have had no complications at all yet i got my scan at 10+5 so it's not even as if i had to wait and my 20 week one i'll be 20+3
It definately shouldn't be different for people in the same hospital :wall:

abcd1234 said:
Well friends of mine who have had to go to the EPU at St Michaels have had one but only when they're in pain or bleeding, otherwise it's just the 20 week scan we've been offered. When I had the missed m/c in September St Michaels EPU was closed so I went to Southmead and stayed there overnight and they scanned me in the morning but I asked the Dr if I could ask for an early scan next time and she suggested that I lie about pain or bleeding in order to get one!! I couldn't do that in case of temping fate but it suggests that they're very stretched. I'll see if I can get my OH to put in some infomation requests about how many scans women get offered in different parts of the City.

You're right, the EPU is meant for emergency cases. I'd not want to lie to get one as I would worry I'd be depriving someone who really needed one or something. Besides, the EPU only scans up to a certain point so chances are going for such an early scan for most people would be pointless as there would be very little or nothing to see. If people begin abusing the service that will also become overstretched and suffer possibly, having a knock on effect to many women.

When I had first tri bleeding my GP was happy to refer to the EPU the next morning, but as the bleeding had stopped and I was not in pain I decided against taking up the offer. I felt I didn't need it and wanted to wait a few days to see how I felt. I figured my body would do whatever it had to do, be it positive or negative. Not much I could do to change that. I know some women could not have that approach to such a thing, but I felt ok with the choice I made. I think it was the right one for me.

I do find it strange that they only offer one scan to one and two to another. Did some paperwork go awry somewhere perhaps? Hopefully there is a valid explanation for it :?

I Live in West Sussex and the hospital i work at gives you blood tests at 10weeks (detect Rubbella, Hepititus imunities, HIV, etc etc etc). they also test you for clamidia. then u have a dating scan, 12week scan and 20week scan! if you have a history of heart condition etc etc they will scan you at 16weeks also, so guess i am V.lucky!

Sherlock said:
You're right, the EPU is meant for emergency cases. I'd not want to lie to get one as I would worry I'd be depriving someone who really needed one or something. Besides, the EPU only scans up to a certain point so chances are going for such an early scan for most people would be pointless as there would be very little or nothing to see. If people begin abusing the service that will also become overstretched and suffer possibly, having a
knock on effect to many women.

In some places though the EPU offers early scans for reassurance after one or more miscarriages- especially after a missed miscarriage. Recent studies into stress have suggested that the increase in cortisol that is produced when a woman is very stressed is detected by the fetus in the first few weeks of life. For some women early scans can have a major benefit although I know that not everyone finds them helpful. The longer you go on with a missed miscarriage the more of an impact it has on your body, at 10 weeks they had to keep me in because I ran a fever and lost a lot of blood women can go on past the 12 week scan date not knowing that they're not supporting anything- this is obviously devastating and it horrified me that it could have so easily have happened to me and was happening to other women on the ward at the time. I know it's just a sad fact of biology that it sometimes happens but I do feel that if you've experienced it that you ought to be able to request at least a 12 week scan if it's the case that other people in the same City are offered it routinely.

Sherlock said:
When I had first tri bleeding my GP was happy to refer to the EPU the next morning, but as the bleeding had stopped and I was not in pain I decided against taking up the offer. I felt I didn't need it and wanted to wait a few days to see how I felt. I figured my body would do whatever it had to do, be it positive or negative. Not much I could do to change that. I know some women could not have that approach to such a thing, but I felt ok with the choice I made. I think it was the right one for me.

When I had my miscarriage last week at 5 weeks they wouldn't refer me as it was too early to see anything even if they had scanned but if I had been 6 weeks I feel personally that I would have wanted to know what was going on because this is my second and although it is most likely to be monumental bad luck there could be a pattern emerging so I want as much info as possible in case it happens again and they have to investigate.

Sherlock said:
I do find it strange that they only offer one scan to one and two to another. Did some paperwork go awry somewhere perhaps? Hopefully there is a valid explanation for it :?

No I fear not! I mean I've lived here for 9 years now, my son is 2 and I spend most of the week with other mums with toddlers or babies and we all go to the same midwives at the same clinic and we've all had the option of just one scan and until abcd1234 posted I assumed it was the same for everyone in Bristol. I did ask the midwife about it last time because it seemed to me like everyone on here was offered two and she said that it was a Bristol policy because most women know their dates anyway...? I'm going to get my OH to find out because it would be interesting to know whose decision that is and why some areas are different than others.

+++

Rosebay said:
In some places though the EPU offers early scans for reassurance after one or more miscarriages- especially after a missed miscarriage......... I know it's just a sad fact of biology that it sometimes happens but I do feel that if you've experienced it that you ought to be able to request at least a 12 week scan if it's the case that other people in the same City are offered it routinely.

I think its good they offer scans for women with a history of previous MC. I also consider that being at possible higher risk it is good to have an early scan. I just would not be comfortable with myself telling a lie to get an early scan and possibly deprive someone who really did need it. If I had had previous PG problems I'd hope my GP would back me up and get me a scan via the EPU however. I'd certainly go see them and ask to refer me.

And for sure you'd hope women would get a 12 week scan then. I do find it very strange that one city (and one hospital) is having such glaring inconsistencies :(

Rosebay said:
When I had my miscarriage last week at 5 weeks they wouldn't refer me as it was too early to see anything even if they had scanned but if I had been 6 weeks I feel personally that I would have wanted to know what was going on because this is my second and although it is most likely to be monumental bad luck there could be a pattern emerging so I want as much info as possible in case it happens again and they have to investigate.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Rosebay said:
No I fear not! I mean I've lived here for 9 years now, my son is 2 and I spend most of the week with other mums with toddlers or babies and we all go to the same midwives at the same clinic and we've all had the option of just one scan and until abcd1234 posted I assumed it was the same for everyone in Bristol. I did ask the midwife about it last time because it seemed to me like everyone on here was offered two and she said that it was a Bristol policy because most women know their dates anyway...? I'm going to get my OH to find out because it would be interesting to know whose decision that is and why some areas are different than others.

I really do hope your OH is able to find out what is going on there. I'd be very interested to know why its varying between women at the same hospital there. I do think the 12 and 20 week scans are both worthwhile if the hospital has the facilities. Alas it seems not only there is affected by the one scan policy :( Other women here have only been given one scan and are having to go private for the 20 week one.

I think you should try and get your OH to find out whats going on!!
The midwives in brislington and whitchurch see it as common practise to send all cases for a 12 week scan and they beleived it was the same throughout the city.
Theres no way they should be offering you any less

Sherlock said:
I think its good they offer scans for women with a history of previous MC. I also consider that being at possible higher risk it is good to have an early scan. I just would not be comfortable with myself telling a lie to get an early scan and possibly deprive someone who really did need it. If I had had previous PG problems I'd hope my GP would back me up and get me a scan via the EPU however. I'd certainly go see them and ask to refer me.

Yes I mean that's my plan for another time as I couldn't lie about it. I was really shocked when the Dr suggested it but I think she was trying to help.

Sherlock said:
I really do hope your OH is able to find out what is going on there. I'd be very interested to know why its varying between women at the same hospital there. I do think the 12 and 20 week scans are both worthwhile if the hospital has the facilities. Alas it seems not only there is affected by the one scan policy :( Other women here have only been given one scan and are having to go private for the 20 week one.

I know, that I really can't understand as I would have thought that the 20 week one was the more important of the two. It's ridiculous really.

+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back