How many & at what stage does your NHS offer scans?

Discussion in 'First Trimester' started by nutcase109, Jan 22, 2008.

1. nutcase109

nutcase109 Well-Known Member

In Edinburgh (where I will be moving back to very soon) they only allow you one scan, at 12 weeks, and then no more thereafter. This is really hard for some mums to be, as they are not getting peace of mind over any abnormalities, and also often cant tell the sex at 12 weeks. I hear some NHS areas are only offering one scan at 20 weeks - nightmare! How do you know when to start telling your friends and family?! And some areas are offering lots of scans throughout the pregnancy! It seems strange that the level of care is so different depending on where you live.

2. mandspice

mandspice Well-Known Member

I wish they would standardise this (in our favour of course!)...In Waltham Forest, east London, we get one at 12 weeks and one at 20 weeks as standard. I also had an early one because of my previous history so had to fight a little for the 12 week one.

3. Hazel

Hazel Well-Known Member

Midwife told me 12 weeks with blood tests (downs etc) and 20 weeks for detailed scan and sex. I'm in Kent. She also told me that the blood tests that go with the 12 week scan aren't done in all areas.

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Well-Known Member

Well 20 weeks is when they can detect any major abnormalities and tell the sex and so on, so in many ways if I was only going to have one scan, I'd rather that over one at 12 weeks. Of course the Nuchal scan and bloods are done between 11-13 weeks, but not all places have the equipment to handle this scan and so on anyways.

I've never heard of anyone finding out the sex at 12 weeks. The bits are not formed then even are they? Also its at the hospitals discretion as to if they tell or not, some hospitals don't. They are under no legal obligation to do so.

Not all hospitals offer 12 weeks scans. Some are a bit later and then again at 20 or so weeks.

I think if wanting to tell people and if you don't have a scan at 12 weeks, then it's still a good time to tell. End of first tri and the risk of miscarriage is much less. If you've gotten that far, scan or not I'd be happy to tell.

I look at it this way... we are getting a whole lot more than our mothers ever did. When my Mum was PG with me there were no scans, no fancy technology. She went through pregnancy and had to wait till they could hear my heartbeat with a stethascope. So I'm not going to complain too much about what I have had so far. I consider myself darn lucky to live in a country with the facilities we have and to have the opportunities to see baby in a scan at any time.

In some ways we have become rather spoiled by tecnology and our reliance on it.

5. mandspice

mandspice Well-Known Member

I agree Sherlock, our mums never had this technology and they managed. Now that we have it however it does offer reassurance - especially for the ladies like me who have experienced missed miscarriage or blighted ovum. If it wasn't for the scan I had at 13 weeks last time I may have gone on another 3, 4 weeks not realising that my bean had died at around 8 weeks.

xx

6. nutcase109

Sherlock and Mandspice - I agree with both of you! We are very lucky to have the technology we do today. However, we pay a hell of a lot more tax for it than our predecessors. (Is that how you spell it?! - lol) I just feel a bit uncomfortable, as its in the NHS guidelines to have a 12 and a 20 week scan, but its at the discretion of each borough. I think its a shame some women are getting a more hands-off approach than others, which can add to the stress. Dont get me wrong though - I think the NHS is a wonderful system - and one of the best in the world! Just a discussion...

7. Sherlock

I realise it offers reassurance and I'd not dispute that. It does help find out things that otherwise might take a bit longer to come to light. But on the other hand, having seen all the posts here and imagining the bigger picture in the outside world, it also can cause lots of distress or upset, especially in the early days when people don't see what they are hoping for.

I think its worthwhile to scan I really do, but as to it being something we need more than twice in a pregnancy, I don't think so. As I said, I'd be content, if it came to it for only one standard scan at 20 weeks. Other tests exist that can help decide possible high risk in some areas and if a scan is warranted. Bloods can be followed up with a Nuchal and so on. And lots of women don't wish to have these tests anyways.

Somewhere sometime the NHS bodies have to draw a line under their budget and sometimes its things like non urgent scans are lost. A harsh reality on this ever growing and demanding society we live in :roll:

8. Sherlock

O for sure its good to discuss. The NHS is a wonderful thing, even with all its faults. But it is supporting a fast growing society with ever more demands being placed on it. There is no easy solution to its problems.

Some areas simply don't have the budget (or facilities or staff etc) to scan every woman at 12 and 20 weeks, even though there are guidelines. Others are able to and its great, but they suffer elsewhere in their budget still I am sure.

9. nutcase109

Im wondering if one scan at 12 weeks, as we get in edin, is really that beneficial. Perhaps I could ask them to scan me at 20 weeks instead. It soulnds like thats the one where you can really tell if things are wrong?

10. Lianatoot

Lianatoot Well-Known Member

My friend lives in the Livingstone area, and she only got one scan also...

40 mins down the road, here in Kilmarnock, we get one at 12 weeks and one at 20 weeks.

11. Sherlock

One of our other Scottish ladies has optred for a private scan at 20 or so weeks as they didn't offer one in her area. She's going to the local Nuffield fwiw.

12. abcd1234

abcd1234 Well-Known Member

we get two here, one around 12 weeks and one at 20 weeks provided it's a normal low risk pregnancy, i'm happy with that, i think they're good for bonding and reassurance, the 12 week one shows them that everyhting is ok and is used for dates and my 20 week one will (fingers crossed) show me the sex and that everything is ok with baby, you dont really need any more.

I wouldnt be happy if i'd only got one, but then again i am pretty high maintenance, but i think i'd rather have my 20 week one then the 12 week one as there's so much more to see and therefore reassure you of the health of your baby

My mum had scans with all of us, but then i think thats just me showing my age, though she did say they couldnt tell her the sex of any of her babies
    Clare x

13. sparky

sparky Well-Known Member

the scan they offer in edinburgh now is usually at about 13-16 weeks due to a lack of trained people, they did agree in 2004 that this was going to be addressed :shock:

my problem is the postcode lottery, wether its one scan or two people should be offered the SAME after all we all put the same into the system.

My doctor told me that they thought it was disgusting too, especially as if i was a smack head i'd probably get 3-4 scans.

We've already decided to pay for an abnormality scan at around 20 weeks, for a hunderd quid or so we think its worthwhile, but its a shame that not everyone can afford to do so.

Not interested in finding out the sex, which also seems unusual these days, will be nice to have a suprise

14. lfc_sarah

lfc_sarah Well-Known Member

I had my first scan at 16 weeks, that would have been my 12 week 1 if i had found out sooner.... :oops:

Having one tomorrow aswel, for my 20 week.
    Im glad because if i had one at 12 weeks and then no more i would worry so much!

15. babydust

babydust Well-Known Member

its shocking the differences between the areas i stay just outside glasgow and normal scans here are 12 weeks and 20weeks,the 20week one is a detailed scan and you only get it if you ask but gp's can refer you for an early reasurrance scan usually 6 or 7 weeks i think it depends on your midwife when i was pregnant with my daughter my midwife understood how worried i was about my pregnancy after having 2 losses before so she refered me for an extra scan. but since having my 2 girls i have had a further 2 losses so my last pregnancy i had weekly scans from about 7 weeks until they found a problem at my 13th week scan. I would rather be told that i had a normal pregnancy and only have 2 scans, looks like i will be going through the ups and downs of weekly scans again.

They should really have a policy on scanning and make it the same in every nhs hospital so everyone gets the same care

16. Bagpuss17

Bagpuss17 Well-Known Member

I live in the East Midlands, we have 12 week and 20 week scans.

I had bleeding in my first pregnancy so had 2 early scans at 6 and 9 weeks on top of the above.

To think we all put into the tax system etc, it's hugely unfair that there is such a difference in policies across the country.

Both 12 week and 20 week scans are really important to check on babys progress.

17. Steelgoddess

Steelgoddess Well-Known Member

Personally I feel there should DEFINATLY be the 2, an early one if the woman has had two or more MC and monitoring if the baby was mc after 12 weeks ie 21 etc.

I think the stress can really gnaw at you especially if you're a first time Mum but either way it shuold be standard!!

xx

18. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

I am in Stirling which is 40/50 minutes from Edinburgh and Glasgow and I had a 12 weeks scan and a 20 week scan.

My sister has a scan at 5 weeks (cos she didn't know her dates), 12 weeks, 20 weeks then another at 30 something as baby was measuring too big. Same area as me.

19. babydust

babydust Well-Known Member

i think it really depends on your midwife and what mood the scan department are in on the day of request :roll:

20. Tadpole

Tadpole Well-Known Member

Cor, I'm feeling quite lucky. We have a really good maternity unit here and get a scan at 12 weeks & 20 weeks.

We are also offered the Nuchal fold test. Although i have declined this and any other tests except the general abnormality checks.