How long was your LO in a moses basket?

charlie84

Reaction score
Sorry this question has probably been asked before.

I am finding that LO doesnt seem to settle that well in the moses basket as she did in the beginning. She keeps waking herself up when she whacks her arms off the sides. She seems to sleep better when she can spread out her arms and legs, which she does when she has a morning cuddle in bed with me and OH.

My dilemma is that is it too early to think about having her in her own cot. The only problem with that is she would have to go into her own room as i dont think the cot would fit in our room.

This worries me also due to the fact they recommend baby sleep in the same room as you for the first six months. Would that mean i would need to sleep in her room.

I am unsure what to do as i really dont think she will tolerate the basket much longer as she gets bigger.

My son is stil in his. give him another month or so and he'll be too long though. He wont sleep in his cot so i put his moses basket in the cot in his bedroom. Our rooms are right next to each other so i dont mind him sleeping alone. If he makes any noise its enough to wake me.

What about a travel cot? would that be small enough to fit in your room?

I moved ds into his cot in his own room just before he was 3 months old. He's a really noisy sleeper & we have a baby moniter so I can always hear him on that. It was awful the first few days, but got better.

Our reasons for moving him were that we were disturbing each other at night - he would wake us up (just grunting & wriggling in his sleep) and we would wake him up. Also he was doing the same as your daughter & hitting the basket with his arms which woke him up.

It was the right decision for us to move him (even though he still ends up in our bed even now every morning :D ) but it may not be right for everyone.

Last edited:
Oops trust me to put in the wrong section :oops:

I thought about a travel cot as that would fit better than the cot bed she has in her bedroom.
Are they suitable for them to sleep in on a regular basis though?

I would ideally like her to remain in my room as its easier to BF her in the night when she wakes up.

May have a little browse at some travel cots :)

Arianna was in her own room from about 8-9wks old.

We started from day one that at night time she slept in our room but for day naps I put her in her big cot so she wasnt scared of the change.

My DS decided after about a week that he didn't like the basket and prefered to be snuggled up with Mummy....Daddy said Mummy couldn't keep doing it otherwise he'd be 5 years old and still doing it, so DS went into the cotbed in his own room around a month old. He's slept great since....occassional snuggles in mummys bed still though :wink:

Nicola said:
My DS decided after about a week that he didn't like the basket and prefered to be snuggled up with Mummy....Daddy said Mummy couldn't keep doing it otherwise he'd be 5 years old and still doing it, so DS went into the cotbed in his own room around a month old. He's slept great since....occassional snuggles in mummys bed still though :wink:

I thought about co sleeping but the same as your OH mine has said no as he doesnt want to struggle to get her in her own bed when the time comes.

Ellie was in her moses basket until around 2month then went into her cot :)

I took my LO out last week cause there was hardly any room for her and she loves to spread her arms out.

She's now in her cot which i have made cosy as much as I can, she seems to be fine in there and I think that's down to her getting older.

When she was first born I tried to put her in the cot not realising I should have put her in the moses basket as it was enclosed. She hated the cot and never used to sleep at night. It was only when I told the HV that she wasn't sleeping she said to try the moses basket and she was much comfortable in there.

Maybe try it out during the day when your LO has naps.

Isaac never got on well with his moses basket :lol:
He probably slept in it about 20times, the rest was either on us or on the couch with us (through the day/night when we were up watching TV, not sleeping). But we co-slept, I wouldn't have had a problem moving him into a cot earlier though, but we stopped all night co-sleeping when he was 5months and he went in his cot fine :D
As for OH's opinion on co-sleeping, well, if he was Mummy he'd have had a say :wink:

Ella has been in her cot for about 4 or 5 weeks now, but we have it our room (we moved our bedroom furniture into the space we created in her room, so just have our bed and her cot in ours)

She has slept much better ever since, as she too likes to spread out.

Adam didn't sleep well in is moses basket or his swinging crib so we tried a travel cot. He slept much better in the basinet part until he weighed 6.5kg and became too heavy for it.

i had a moses basket for Lewis but he hated it, so i gave it away, not buyin one for this baby...

i had a moses basket for Lewis but he hated it, so i gave it away, not buyin one for this baby...

Cara hated her Moses basket and hardly ever slept well in it, so when she was about 4 weeks old we bought her cotbed and put that alongside my side of the bed with the side off so I could easily bring her in to breastfeed. When she was 7 months we finally moved her into her own room :)

charlie84 said:
I thought about a travel cot as that would fit better than the cot bed she has in her bedroom.
Are they suitable for them to sleep in on a regular basis though?

I would ideally like her to remain in my room as its easier to BF her in the night when she wakes up.

May have a little browse at some travel cots :)

I phoned Graco and asked specifically about the petite bassinet and the electra (electro? something like that) as they were the ones I was looking at. They told me that these cots can be used as permanent cots because the mattress is........ I'm sorry, pregnancy brain, it's airful, lets air through, something like that. :oops: The important thing is they said you could use it in your room instead of a crib or moses basket.

All of a month madam was in hers! she didnt like it, she didnt ettle in at night time and when she went in the cot she got better!

Jake was in his moses basket in our room until he was 5 1/2 months old and then he went in to his cot in his own room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back