How long in hospital ...?

Loulabelle

Reaction score
Roughly?

I know it depends on how birth goes, but roughly how long should I expect to stay in? and if I needed a section, how long then? I'm a bit clueless, maybe I should attend some parentcraft sessions?! x

Ive been wondering this too - it may greatly affect the packing of my hospital bag! And dog-sitting arrangements!
Im guessing maybe 1 day for a natural birth, with no complications, and around 2-4 days for a c-section??? I havent got a clue though - they are complete guesses!
x

Hey, I was wondering the same thing. I am terrified of having to stay in the hospital, am totally dreading it. If it is not your first baby you can be in and out on the same day in NI.

Im trying to do my hospital bag and I've no idea how many things to pack like maternity pads, breast pads, knickers, etc etc! x

Where I am if you have a c-section its 3 nights, with a normal birth it depends what time you give birth if its early morning you can be let out by evening if later in the day you stay in one night

If your birth goes to plan with no problems u can leave after 6 hours (depending on the time obviously) i think some hospitals like ppl to stay one night if its their first baby. i think they really need 2 know u r both ok and that u know what u r doing with feeding etc before they let u leave. I had a section and i was in for 3 nights but some like u 2 stay up to 5 nights. Everywhere is different. x

Usually it's 1 night for normal birth and 3 for a section. I was in for 7 hours after he was born though so hardly used anything from my case!

i had my son at 11.50pm then was out by lunch the next day :) fingers crossed for same again..

My friend had a section and she was in for 4 nights.

I had my baby by c section at 10:30 on the Wednesday and I was home by 4pm Friday x

i had my little girl at 2am and was out by 3pm (13 hours later)...

my friend had emergancy c section and had to stay in for about 3 days but only due to raised blood pressure... with her 2nd baby she had another c-section at 6pm and was out 24 hours later.

hope that helps! i think if they can see you and baby are doing well.. feeding, temp and blood pressure ok etc then they will let you home as soon as you want really.. takes about an hour for them to do all the paperwork though before they can discharge you though!!

I had my son at 00.29 and was out about 6pm the same day. Could of been out earlier but had to wait for the person who was picking me up to get there.

I think it just depends where you are and how your coping. My midwife let me decide she said i could go home or if i wasnt feeling confidents enough stay in for another night.

Our hospital has a 24 hour overnight stay policy if its your first baby, but a 6 hour discharge policy if its anything after that. I was admitted at 11.30 on monday night and didnt get home until saturday at 6pm. But that was due to samuel having jaundice, i was fit and well enough to go home. It drove me up the wall being stuck on the hospital ward. I was like you, terrifeid of having to stay in as it was my worst nightmare!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back