How long does OH get to be in hospital for?

xx emma xx

Reaction score
Once baby is born how long after that does OH have to leave the hospital?
Also if I am in for a couple of days does OH get to be there longer than normal visitors? I know they cant be there all day just wondered if they are allowed a little longer though x

I think it depends on the hospital. My dh was allowed 9am until 9pm including the "mums rest period". I found out when I left they can stay overnight but the midwives won't offer any bedding for them.

My friends husband at a different hospital was told to leave immediately after the birth!! He was allowed back in at 10 (baby born at 8am)

See if you can have a hospital tour and ask the question :) x

when i went in with my son Oh wasnt around but my mum was,

i went in to labour threw the night and the following evening gave birth to remy, my mum was with me threw out, but when id had him at around 8pm, .........30 mins after that they sent my mum home! my mum had done well staying up nearly 2 days with me an we were all tired so i didnt mind,

the next day its pretty much visiting as normal for every one, think at our hozzy you get one visit in afternoon 1.30pm till 3.30pm then one in evening 6pm till 8pm, pretty rubbish really, think thats y most try and get in and out i was stuck in for 6 days after my son coz i ad a section its was horrible, if i have my vbac this time i could be home 6 hours later yippppeeee

think all hozzys are different u will av check

Last edited:
I assumed they stayed with you... ?? No.. x

What hospital are you at? southern general is somethin like partners can visit from half ten untill half 8 but have to leave for an hour at meal times. My OH stayed with me for a couple of hours after Ethan was born but it depends what time it is, this was middle of the night so he had 2 leave once i was moved down to maternity ward. I think princess royal is 9-9 partners visiting. x

Thanks for all your replies. Its the southern general I'm having baby in. I didn't realise they get to be there that long, that's good. Ill ask at my next appointment anyway and see what they say. Xx

they give u a little slip with all the visiting times and that on it and whos allowed in when. x

When i had my 2 at the southern they were quite relaxed with hubby and visiting times..was quite nice just having time with the 3 of us instead of all the visitors x

What hospital are you at? southern general is somethin like partners can visit from half ten untill half 8 but have to leave for an hour at meal times. My OH stayed with me for a couple of hours after Ethan was born but it depends what time it is, this was middle of the night so he had 2 leave once i was moved down to maternity ward. I think princess royal is 9-9 partners visiting. x

I'm just down the road form you in Greenock :) If everything goes ok with my pregnancy and I'm classed as "low Risk" I get to go to Inverclyde Royal, they have a community led maternity unit. OH is allowed at all times, can stay overnight if he wishes..Normal visiting hours for everyone else though..

If I'm not low risk then I'll either have to go Royal Alexandria or Southern General :( Yeah it's so odd how they ask OH to leave at mealtimes! When my mum had my little sister my Dad refused to leave, and they didn't question it. He was like "Eh, she's my wife I've seen her eat before.." They just drew the curtains and he stayed. Other womens OH's did the same too :)

I would be very angry if someone tried to make my OH leave right after the birth though...

heartlands in brum is 8am til 8pm, think its all acording to the the individual hospitals really, be gud iff admin cud get a list off hospitals and make a sticky as it can be confussing!

I'm just down the road form you in Greenock :) If everything goes ok with my pregnancy and I'm classed as "low Risk" I get to go to Inverclyde Royal, they have a community led maternity unit. OH is allowed at all times, can stay overnight if he wishes..Normal visiting hours for everyone else though..

If I'm not low risk then I'll either have to go Royal Alexandria or Southern General :( Yeah it's so odd how they ask OH to leave at mealtimes! When my mum had my little sister my Dad refused to leave, and they didn't question it. He was like "Eh, she's my wife I've seen her eat before.." They just drew the curtains and he stayed. Other womens OH's did the same too :)

I would be very angry if someone tried to make my OH leave right after the birth though...

I had my son at the queen mothers before it shut and my OH was allowed in all day and 4 meal times, he probably wont leave this time either, but then hes goin 2 have Ethan to look after 2 so he might need a break!

Oh I would have been having baby in royal alexandria cos I'm from Paisley but moved in with OH last year so now living in southside of glasgow which isn't that close to southern but there hospitals all been refurbished so looks ok to have baby in. That's good about the place that you can have OH there all the time, will be good for support. I'm happy about the southerns visiting times though cos its longer than I expected. Xx

Yeah I don't think I would expect OH there throughout the night, but for after the birth (incase that will be during the night) it's important to me that he's there :)

I think it depends on the hospital. My dh was allowed 9am until 9pm including the "mums rest period". I found out when I left they can stay overnight but the midwives won't offer any bedding for them.

My friends husband at a different hospital was told to leave immediately after the birth!! He was allowed back in at 10 (baby born at 8am)

See if you can have a hospital tour and ask the question :) x

I have been wondering this too.

They can stay overnight??? I have never heard of this being allowed...me and OH haven't spent a night away from eachother in years, would be kinda weird :lol: Do i ask my midwife what is allowed or phone hospital? xxx

Ive never heard of being allowed to stay overnight once baby arrives, u should ring the hospital and ask them, i dont think its something that alot of place would allow, it was a definate no when i had my son! u never know, u may get lucky! x

In my hospital . if baby comes at night your partner has to go home once your moved from delivery onto the ward . During the day he can stay with you as long as visiting hours are on

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back