how do you count hours of labour?

I agree, it bugs me when people speak like if you had a painful labour it was because you didn't do it right. I found there was a lot I could do reduce the pain but some women just have hard labours no matter what they do, there are so many factors involved and we are not in control of all of them. I do have a high pain threshold and I think that helped but labour was not as painful as I expected. For me position was everything, if I'd laboured laying on my back that would have been a different story. The few contractions I did have on my back were horrid. I also got great relief from heat and massage on my back. Drugs weren't an option because it was a HB and as far as I know the MW I had doesn't carry any. There was just one point where I remember understanding the apeal of an epidural and I must have been in transition by then, even then it was more the exhaustion than the pain I was struggling with, I just wanted to lay down and sleep for an hour then I would have been good to go again. In the end I did sleep, waking up for every contraction of course, but the contractions spaced out nicely for me to about 15mins apart for a few contraction. If I'd had much more regular contractions for 38 hrs it would have been harder to cope. I actually found pushing a relief, crowning really stung but the worst pain in my back had gone. Your labour sounds way worse than mine Carnat! For me although labour was long it was manageable, it certainly wouldn't put me off having another one, infact I would quite look forward to it. Morning sickness on the other hand might! It was truly awful, I felt so sick for days on end and unlike contractions there was no break between.

I started getting contractions on Thursday evening (every 10 mins)but the hospital didn't flipping believe me till 3am on the Saturday morning! I was an in patient already so could see why they couldn't at least examine me! I count form then ... No idea how long that is or how long they say it is, bloody long time if you ask me!

Www.justgiving.com/AaronFarquharson

Text aaro89 and £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070

I counted mine from when I knew I was in labour, with my first it was 23 hours as the contractions were regular right from the start, I don't know what they put down as active labour time, but when mw came to check me at home I was 4cm ad that was a good 13 hours before she was born! With my 2nd they logged it as 3mins and I'd probably put it as 1/2hour that I knew I was in labour - it was all a bit if a blur tbh!

3 minutes :shock: :shock:

Bunny, the horrendous labour hasn't put me off. Within about a week I went from saying "if" we have another one to "when" we have another one lol.

I think next time I'd be more aware and I'd make sure I keep my strength up. I'd also use a TENS. Despite being in agony I kind of expected it to get worse and by the time it did get worse I was too far gone to use my machine..

If we do have number 2, I plan to use the Natal hypnotherapy book and CD again and would hopefully like to complete my birth in the birthing centre (I was there to begin with when I had James but had to be moved to actual labour ward)

I did it all with G&A but I did ask for a shot of diamorphine which was the best high I've ever had but didn't last long enough to give me any real respite. I wouldn't bother with it again.... I really didn't want an EPI (Dr's pretty much said I must have one when they hooked me up to the drip and basically said I'd be calling them back shortly begging for one but I never even considered it to be honest?)

The way I see it is that second time can't be any worse than the first time?? So hopefully we'll do it all over again within the next few years :lol:

xxxxxxx

Yea it was 3 minutes from me going "shit I'm Having a baby and Having it now" and my dad dialing 999 to her being born :shock: it took me a long time to go from "never again" to "well maybe in a few years"! I found it a lot harder mentally than my long labour!

I agree, I found my labour a lot harder mentally than anything else. I had a labour where I had to labour on the bed on my back as my lo wouldn't move at all and they were very concerned. Every time they put those bloody trace pads on me I was crying cos it was so painful being like that. I think I would do it all again though, but for me it was what happened after labour that I struggle to deal with ( post partum hemorrhage due to retained placenta and lost 4pints of blood needing a double transfusion and rushed to theatre in an oxygen mask :-( ) although I've been told that I could have either a c section next time or be monitored and given a drip in labour. Neither scenarios particularly appeal tbh, haha!

Diane, that sounds horrid. When I was pregnant the idea of labour didn't scare me but I found the idea of a scenario like yours terrifying. I'd actially go as far as to say I enjoyed labour. Yes, there weas pain but I always felt in control and like I could do something about it. Thats why I was sure I didnt want drugs because it left me with maximum control to do what I wanted. Being stuck on my back or oiut of my mind would have just scared me. The other thing that was amazing for me was that LOs heartbeat stayed stayed strong and even throughout, even to the point the MW was impressed by it. So basically it was the total opposite to your experience. If we have another one I would look forward to labour as a great experience but obviously there is never any guarentee that things cant go get out of your control quickly so that still scares me a bit.

Last edited:

I think next time I'd be more aware and I'd make sure I keep my strength up. I'd also use a TENS. Despite being in agony I kind of expected it to get worse and by the time it did get worse I was too far gone to use my machine..

I had prepared myself for a long labour because my mother had quite long labours so tried right from the start to eat, drink and rest and I do think that helped though once labour got going I could only take small sips and bites of stuff without throwing up. What really made the difference for me was napping. I managed to nap quite a bit through contractions, if it hadn't been for that I think I'm not sure I would have got through. At one point I was so exhausted I was falling asleep standing up!

Latent phase of labour is from closed cervix to it moving central, softening, thinning (effacing) and up to 3-4cm. Irregular pains and/or back pain. (Waters can go any time from now until baby's head is visible).
1st stage of labour is regular contractions, cervix 4cm. Count from here.
2nd stage is from fully dilated (10cm) and ready to push.
3rd stage delivery of placenta (end of labour).

Latent phase of labour is from closed cervix to it moving central, softening, thinning (effacing) and up to 3-4cm. Irregular pains and/or back pain. (Waters can go any time from now until baby's head is visible).

Thing is I dont know when I got to 4cm and my contractions never got regular, even when pushing.

Thing is I dont know when I got to 4cm and my contractions never got regular, even when pushing.

Same here. Which is why I ended up at hospital at 8cm. They kept saying I needed to have 3 contractions in 10 minutes and for them to last a minute. So I stayed home for fear of being sent home and just went in when I felt I couldn't take anymore.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I think the simple answer is count from "ouch" to "awww!" xxx

I think the simple answer is count from "ouch" to "awww!" xxx

:rotfl: love that, soo much simpler to count!

Been finding this a very interesting thread though, shows how ever labour is different and they wont always fit in a box.

Last edited:
I counted from established 4cms, which was 8 hours. If I counted from first twinges it'd have been 72 lol.

I counted from established 4cms, which was 8 hours. If I counted from first twinges it'd have been 72 lol.

Did you find contractions got stronger and more regular about that time? I'm not sure when I got to established labour.

I counted from 4cm which was 2.5 hrs (first baby) I was a bit like you though BunnyN I didn't have typical contractions, mine were 1-6 mins and lasted 30 seconds to 1 min, never longer.

I went in to hospital as the contractions were more awwwwhhhhhh than ouch.....lol but they weren't keen for me to go in when I did as they didn't think I was in established labour at that point as the contractions were irregular and not lasting long enough. They were surprised when they examined me at 4cm! Even more surprised when I started wanting to push an hour after going into hospital!

It just shows everyone is different!

Its confusing because I had mild pains, dr checked 0cm cervix high and told it was false labour. Then I got home half an hour later and had strong contractions, went back to hospital and she was in the birth canal and had her 50 minutes after getting to hospital. So I say roughly an hour and half from strong contraction because I was 0cm half an hour before that x

I was 24 hours with my 1st but had been in hospital for few days with pains....with my second I woke with contractions 10 mins apart...then went from not bein ready to holding her in my arms 15 mins later lol but had trouble with mw not wanting believing I was ready....x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back