How do I treat my horrid cold??

Kerry

Reaction score
At the moment as far as my pregnancy goes I am feeling fabulous......however, the kids are bringing home every cold bug going and at the moment I have a real stinker!!

My nose is constantly streaming, my nose is red from blowing it all the time, my throat itches, my eyes are sore and I have a headache :(

I am taking paracetomol when I get a bad headache but otherwise is there nothing else I can take??

I would kill for some sudofed or beechams right now!!! :wink:

Can anyone give me any ideas except putting my head constantly over steaming water!!!

Lots of love

Hi

Not sure this is much help but hope you feel better soon!

How can I treat coughs and colds safely?
There are lots safe, natural ways to help alleviate cough and cold symptoms:

• Eat a well-balanced diet, including plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, which will give you the right amounts of vitamins and minerals, carbohydrate, protein and fat.

• For a cold with a stuffy nose, try a steam inhalation. With a towel over your head, lean over a bowl of hot water with two or three drops of eucalyptus oil or Olbas oil added and inhale to help clear the congestion.

• For a sore throat and cough, make up a soothing drink of hot water, honey and lemon.

• Gargling with salt water can help to fight a throat infection.

• Rest as much as possible - sleep helps the body to heal itself.

• Drink plenty of fluids. Warm drinks are especially soothing when you have a cold - try rosehip tea, which as rich in vitamin C.

• For congested sinuses, Denise Tiran, a lecturer in complementary therapies and midwifery, suggests putting two drops of tea tree or marjoram essential oil onto a tissue and sniffing it at regular intervals.

• You could also try another complementary therapy, such as homeopathy, but always see a registered practitioner first and do mention that you are pregnant.

Aw Kerry, i know just how you feel, its really going around at the mo! I had a chest infection last week, theres not a real lot you can take.
I agree with Louise, plenty of fluids, hot honey and lemon, you can take simple linctus for a cough ( nice with a tot of hot water in) or paracetamol to take down your temp.
hope you feel much better real soon xx

I had a cold a few weeks ago and it was pants as usually I just reach for the Sudafed and carry on! I did use olbus oil in a measuring jug with a towel over my head and it did clear my nose a bit (especially useful before eating when you actually want to taste something!) and used paracetamol but other than that there's not much else you can do but rest and drink plenty. This pregnancy lark sure makes you appreciate pharmacuticals doesn't it! I always think it's worth buying those v expensive Kleenex balm tissues when you have a proper cold as they make a huge difference to the state of your nose after a day or two of sneezing- oh and vaseline on the sore bits (I think it protects your nose a bit too as long as you apply it a lot).

Hope you feel better soon
British Winters eh? Top!
+++

I had a bad cold in August and I checked with my chemist and was able to take vitamin C tablets, and it seemed to go very fast, much better than taking medicine in fact!

Hi Kerry,

Firstly thanks for letting me pop over on saturday, it was lovely to meet you and your lovely family and of course Charlie!! I hope we can arrange another meet up soon! Perhaps you might like to come to the forest for lunch?

I asked my midwife about this and she said honey and lemon is fine (some brands say dont use when pregnant) she said as long as you follow the instructions you're fine! Also i normally take echinachia (not sure how you spell it) sweets when i get a cold they taste nice and help too! I am sure you know the one i mean as you do the bach remedies and the one i mean is a flower, it looks a little like a daisy!

I hope your cold goes soon and you are back to your normal self in no time!

:D :D Best wishes,
Kelly.

hi i know how you feel as im all full up myself at moment cant breathe when i lie down lol so cant sleep went to chemist yesterday and spoke to the pharmasist (sorry cant spell) and came away with vics vaporub and nasal drops which are just saline which i didnt think would work lol but they did and i was at least able to get some sleep hope you feel better soon xxxxxx

Another cold sufferer here, and I had a nosebleed this morning so that's made for some interesting nose blowing today...... :roll:

Trying to stay nice and cosy and drink plenty of OJ and hot drinks.

Thanks all!!

I don't think I can take echinacea whilst pregnant but will check as I usually take it around this time of the year.

I have all the chest rubs, olbas oil etc and my nose is constantly shiny from vaseline, now hoping that it doesn't last long.

May do the steam thing before tea tonight though as eating last night was a nightmare, couldn't breathe or taste anything!!

Thanks again, lots of love

i'll join the cold sufferers' support group! woke up this morning with a cold that appeared overnight... :( typical now that i'm off for a long weekend in norway to visit my sister tomorrow!

i'm "working" from home today, but actually feeling sorry for myself and resting more than i'm working... never mind!

i've resorted to my mum's anti cold remedies from when i was little:
- double strength hot ribena (lots of vit c!) which is very comforting!
- hot water with honey and lemon (lemon = more vit c!)
- warm milk with honey (apparently heating the milk releases something called Tryptophan which is supposed to be good!)
- chocolate (i have no proper explanation for why mum always gave me chocolate, but it sire did seem to make things much more bearable!!! lol!!!)

Hi Kerry

Snap. i am off work at the moment with a cold that i caught off Joshua. i have just been given some saline drops from my doctor as thats the strongest medication that i could have. did try and do the steam thing last night and i felt as though i was suffocating. The worst thing is the lack of sleep as i am finding it hard to sleep with a cold. plus i am snoring like mad (so hubby tells me)

take care and if you have found any miracle cures let me know honey

x

I have a nasal spray that the doctor gave me for my hayfever when I was early pregnant and couldn't take the usual pills - thats saline based so I may give that a go - I found the stream a bit choking too!!

xxxxxx

I normally catch everything going, but so far I haven't caught anything since my honeymoon in may.

Fingers crossed. My normal remedy for a cold is lots of brandy! Don't think I will be allowed to treat myself to that if I do get one! :cry: :cry:

Are you feeling any better yet Kerry?

At least you will be in the festive spirit with a red shiny nose, just watch out that Santa doesnt enlist your help!!! Sorry couldnt resist?

How did the wedding anniversary go? Were your cakes a success? 8)

I cannot believe the persistence of this bl**dy cold!!

I am still feeling naff and cannot breathe at all through my nose - have tried all of the above and am also taking the kids minadex tonic as it says it is suitable for pregnant and lactating women and its supposed to give you a boost etc.................just waiting for that now!!

Drinking orange juice like its going out of fashion and sitting over steam a few times a day which to be honest doesn't help at all.

New idea tonight...........curry!! Maybe that will get my nose running!! And if we get take away I don't have to cook so even better.

Kelly, the cakes and cauliflower cheese were lovely. The day was a huge success but my grandad was a bit poorly. Last night he had a stroke (4th in 7 years) but is now apparently much better and its as if the week past has been a build up to the stroke and now he seems much better so its a huge relief as he is a very special man, bless him.

Saw the midwife today who was expecting my blood pressure to be up due to my rosy nose and cheeks.....it was 110/60 the same as always and I explained the rosiness was just my cold and overdosing on nose blowing!!! Everything else was fine, heartbeat today was 155 again.

Step aside rudolph!!

Oh poor you Kerry, and you know what... ive got a stinker now too! Did you find out about taking the echinacia? Is it okay or not?

I had some of that airwaves today and it nearly blew my head off but my nose was still blocked, LOL! :shock:

I wish this cold would go away as its my birthday today and i havent stopped sniffing all day! :(

Glad to hear the party went well and i hope your grandad is okay soon, sending my best wishes to him....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back