How can my OH quit his job?

We are going through the same my OHs contracted hours is 6hours a week. occasionally he gets some overtime but frequently we live off £37 a week!!!!!!!!!!!

:( Sorry to hear that hun.
It's barely anything towards the bills we have.
It's a shame because he was on good wages when he first started (shortly after I found out I was pregnant).

I guess everyone is saving their money for Christmas.. but that means the less customers, the less shifts! It all started a few months ago when he would get sent home early because it was too quiet, now he's barely there! xxx

Last edited:
I know its horrendous! My OH is hopefully thinks will pick up now we are close to xmas. he works in a shop so the more the shop sells the more overtime they can give!!!

My OH works in a pub/restaurant. The pub is still quite popular but the restaurant part (where he works) is dead! I guess people just don't want to spend. Christmas should be busy because I know a lot of people like to eat out around that time, but you can't tell which direction it's going to go, just have to hope really.xxx

I think that's a very irresponsible thing to do considering you have a baby coming. You may get more money but you'll be sucked into having to live off benefits as you'll always get 'more' claiming them. If he sticks at his job as much as we hates it (trust me we all hate our jobs) he'll get a good reference and future employers will see him as employable as he's stuck at a job before. No matter what the job is, experience in the work place is so much better for you than none. If his perfect job comes up it'll look better for him that he actually works than doesn't.

Don't get me wrong I'm considering not going back to work after the baby BUT I'm hoping to use the time to get some more qualifications to help the experience I already have to get a better job.

I totally agree with this.

I had similar problems when I had my 1st. I went from full time in my job to part time (when I went back after mat leave) & I was so skint, wasn't entitled to much benefits only tax creds which wasn't much & I went to jobcentre & they said that financially i'd be better off claiming income support & I would get full housing benefit for my house rather than paying full rent out my pocket, but he said its v.v.hard to get employment after being off with a baby (& claiming full DSS) so I stuck to my job even though we were worse off & it paid off coz I now earn double what I did back then (thro promotions)

I think your OH should stick out the job, it could open new doors for him, & if he's gonna leave I think he should do it the "official" way by handing in notice, he will probs be relying on his boss for a reference at some point in the future.

Good luck
:hug:

I hate it when people turn these threads into arguments I think maybe this lady just wanted our advice and I think the whole point of the thread has been lost. Yes a life on benefits isn't great it does lower your self esteem and confidence but they can also help you to get a job which does pay better and offer more prospects. They help you with writing cv's, interview techniques and training. I don't think they were asking because they don't want to work but sometimes people aren't always as well off as you through no fault of their own. If they cannot afford to live right now then they should do what they need to do to survive daily!!.

He should still b make to claim something even with the hours he's doing now to top it up.

My oh was working 10hrs a week at 1 point and he signed on to get the top up.

I see no problem with benefits :) My friends dad is on job seekers benefit after working for the council for 25 years. They have a beautiful farm house and their son is away at uni, so you wouldn't think that he'd be on benefits but they need it, and it will also hopefully get him another job!

OH phoned his work up today and told them he's not working all day because he hasn't slept, the chefs reply was, "I'm tired but I still have to come to work" which is irrelevant because my OH didn't sleep at all. The chef just sounded a bit pissed off despite the fact my OH text him as early as possible (8am).

But he's gone into work tonight, which I didn't even know was happening! He didn't seem that miserable last night after work, we had a nice night in together, will see what happens xxx

is he over 25 hun, he can get working tax credits if he is i think, hope it all works out for you its a common situation where benefits are better than work in the current economic climate

Last edited:
I hate it when people turn these threads into arguments I think maybe this lady just wanted our advice and I think the whole point of the thread has been lost. Yes a life on benefits isn't great it does lower your self esteem and confidence but they can also help you to get a job which does pay better and offer more prospects. They help you with writing cv's, interview techniques and training. I don't think they were asking because they don't want to work but sometimes people aren't always as well off as you through no fault of their own. If they cannot afford to live right now then they should do what they need to do to survive daily!!.

When did it get turned into an arguement? It was someone saying their experience!

I was going to say, don't think it's been turned into an argument at all and I don't think Tiff took offence to Pinky or Littlemisses comments. They're just trying to say that they think in the long run, keeping a job now, despite being a shitey one, might help him to get a better job in the future, because employers employ based on work experience. If you don't have any, it's a lot harder to get a job.

I'd be careful Tiff if he goes to the job centre that he doesn't mention the cash in hand thing in case it gets him and his employer in the poo a bit. He's prob best not mentioning the job at all iykwim. I got paid cash in hand when I was a teenager in a similar job and stupidly declared it because I didn't know better. Then got a bill through for national insurance I owed - doh! :roll:

Good luck with it all hun. x

Last edited:
He's 21 in March :(
We did wonder about working tax credits but I'm not sure how it works.

Have spoke to him tonight whilst he's in work and he's still sure he wants to quit. I'll back him up all the way and I'm just glad we have bought everything we need for Grace. We've got great family support so if the worst happens and he needs to lend some money to pay bills, there's no doubt in my mind we won't get any help xxx

I was going to say, don't think it's been turned into an argument at all and I don't think Tiff took offence to Pinky or Littlemisses comments. They're just trying to say that they think in the long run, keeping a job now, despite being a shitey one, might help him to get a better job in the future, because employers employ based on work experience. If you don't have any, it's a lot harder to get a job.

I'd be careful Tiff if he goes to the job centre that he doesn't mention the cash in hand thing in case it gets him and his employer in the poo a bit. He's prob best not mentioning the job at all iykwim. I got paid cash in hand when I was a teenager in a similar job and stupidly declared it because I didn't know better. Then got a bill through for national insurance I owed - doh! :roll:

Good luck with it all hun. x

Thanks Olive, will bare that in mind!
He pays taxes, but other than that it's cash in hand, a bit naff if you ask me! He's starting open university in February, so he can still work whilst doing that thankfully! It's a shame he doesn't drive, he got offered a well paid job with the post office for Christmas work, but it was too far to get to :( Hopefully another job will come along soon, the town we live in is small but it's a tourist town so there's plenty more hotels here. xxx

Fingers crossed for you. If he pays taxes he'll pay NI hun.x

I'd he earns so little he shouldn't be paying tax.

If he is paying tax are u sure he not on the books n just gettin paid cash?

I'm not sure :S
I just know that sometimes they take money off his wages because it goes to taxes?
He's adamant about quitting now, but still I don't think he'll pluck up the courage to do so. xxx

There's no arguments here! We all love Tiff & she knows we always speak our minds!

I'd beg, steal & borrow 2 feed my kids, obviously you do whats best for you, but sometimes its good 2 look ahead before making quick decisions, especially given the way things are job wise. For example he could stick his job out, then apply for a better job & have a good reference & he's been in employment, but if he went onto JSA it may not look as good for him if he was to apply for something in the future. I duno I just think we have to try as hard as we can in times like this! What the government is capable of terrifies me, the less I take from them, the better, I actually have nightmares about being fully reliant on the govt. I cant think of anything worse.

I know ALOT of ppl who would gladly take on a shitty job no matter the shifts/wage ect.

Do u live together? If you do then ul be entitled to tax credits once lo's born. But that all depends if he's been put thru the books. Does his wage slip have his ni number on it and his tax details?
I would def go to job centre to see if he can get his money topped up with jobseekers.
If he quits then he'l not be entitled to jobseekers for a while. Xx

Yeah I think it does have his NIN on the slips.
Will see what he says :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back