How can my OH quit his job?

TiffanyJaynexo

Reaction score
My OH decided last night that he's going to quit his job.
He's only been having 2 shifts a week the past month, He'd be getting more money if he was on job seekers benefit, that's how shit his wage has got!

The only problem is he won't quit his job because he 'feels bad'.
I understand where he's coming from because he's meant to be working there tonight, so they'll have to phone up one of the other kitchen porters today and ask them to replace him tonight. But they've done that plenty of times before when the other staff haven't been able to go to work so I don't see the problem.

He's scared to phone them up as he doesn't know what to say, and he also feels bad for letting them down, but to be honest I doubt they care very much.

He's been fretting about it all night that he hasn't even slept! I keep telling him to just tell them he wants to leave. Surely they'll understand because he's on shit wages and they know we have a baby on the way.

He's just ran off to bed in a right state of emotions, I don't know what to do! :wall2:
He's making a big deal out of it and getting really upset.

So how can he politely quit his job when he's meant to be working there tonight?

Forgot to say, he's even fretting about it so much that he asked me to phone them up and tell them he's quitting! xxx

He should just call them and say he cant afford to work there anymore with the baby on the way and needs a better job. All depends whats in his contract etc whether or not he needs to give notice. Other option is for you to call in sick for him tonight and type out a letter handing in his notice xx

Just double check online or speak to someone at your local benefits office because I think if you quit your job, there is a waiting period or you may not get job seekers allowance...not entirely sure though but definitely check it out first. They have changed rules fairly recently.

Does he have a contract of employment? If he does it will detail how to give notice and how long he has to give notice for. Usually giving notice needs to be in a letter, so he would have to write down the reasons he was quitting.

However, it may be worth asking at first if there is anyway his hours can be increased or if he can be moved to a similar Job within the company with more hours. Best thing to do is actually explain the situation to his manager first before just walking out. It could be that there is something else, or could be that the manager would make him redundant which then he'd get jsa. At the very least he'll need his manager for a reference - so it's good to not burn bridges unless you have to.

I know I haven't answered your initial question, but what I would do today is phone the benefits office and ask them fir advice. The last thing you want is him to quit and the job centre to say he isn't entitled to anything x

I'm not sure about a contract, he gets paid cash in hand so there's no official paperwork or anything like that to say he's an employee.

I told him he can call in sick tonight if he wants (his idea) but they'll just catch on once he's given in his notice that he wasn't really ill and just didn't want to go! I know that's no biggy but I think he may as well be honest and just get it over with. He's meant to be working tonight and tomorrow night xxx

If its cash in hand then i would say there is no contract and officially doesnt work for them. He should just ring in then and say that he needs more money and is looking for other employment and wont be coming in. If he is unofficially working for them then that shouldnt affect any benefits etc as technically he is classed as not being employed by law x

As he's paid cash in hand does he pay national insurance? Because national insurance contributions are what the job centre go off when awarding jsa.

Can he go in this afternoon and hand in his notice? If he really doesn't want to work there, you don't think he'll need his boss for a reference and you are absolutely sure he will get jsa and he doesn't have a contract then I would write a letter explaining why and say something like 'regretfully I wish to terminate my employment with you(company name) effective immediately' that way he can hand in letter and go home.

He's applied for job seekers already, he did that last night so I expect they'll be phoning him soon to ask further questions.

Apparently a few people are unhappy with their jobs at the moment there, so I think he should quit quickly before anyone else does, he'll probably feel worse if a few others have handed their notice in before him.

He gets on really well with the head chef, so he's worried he'll let him down/upset him.
There's no doubt in my mind that they won't be referee's for him when it comes to future jobs, he's the best kitchen porter they have and he's always so polite to them all. xxx

I might be wrong but I thought if you quit your job then you didnt get job seakers or at least thats what they told me (I can be easily fobbed off!!)
xxx

I might be wrong but I thought if you quit your job then you didnt get job seakers or at least thats what they told me (I can be easily fobbed off!!)
xxx

Yeah that's what I always thought. There are two kinds income based and contribution based. I don't know for sure but may be eligible for one if not the other.

xxx

If its cash in hand work technically by law he isnt working now so he can quit. I worked in a bar cash in hand when i was younger and quit and was entitled to jobseekers. If they wont be providing a p45 for him leaving then he is working there and not on record as working for them xx

Unless of course your oh is paying for national insurance and tax himelf out of his own cash x

He's applied for job seekers already, he did that last night so I expect they'll be phoning him soon to ask further questions.

Apparently a few people are unhappy with their jobs at the moment there, so I think he should quit quickly before anyone else does, he'll probably feel worse if a few others have handed their notice in before him.

He gets on really well with the head chef, so he's worried he'll let him down/upset him.
There's no doubt in my mind that they won't be referee's for him when it comes to future jobs, he's the best kitchen porter they have and he's always so polite to them all. xxx

I know that he feels like he is letting him down but at the end of the day it's just business and if he is not getting paid enough then he needs to move on. Sadly, theyll replace him and he won't be given a second thought.

It won't make any difference if he is the first or last person to quit, but make sure the motivation to quit is right and please don't do anything until after the job centre have been in touch over his claim. It can be really difficult at this time of year to find a new job and with you at full term, having no money from him coming in at all could make life ten times harder than living on a small wage xx

xxx

It depends in the reason for making yourself unemployed, generally they will not pay for a period of time because you made yourself unemployed

I think that's a very irresponsible thing to do considering you have a baby coming. You may get more money but you'll be sucked into having to live off benefits as you'll always get 'more' claiming them. If he sticks at his job as much as we hates it (trust me we all hate our jobs) he'll get a good reference and future employers will see him as employable as he's stuck at a job before. No matter what the job is, experience in the work place is so much better for you than none. If his perfect job comes up it'll look better for him that he actually works than doesn't.

Don't get me wrong I'm considering not going back to work after the baby BUT I'm hoping to use the time to get some more qualifications to help the experience I already have to get a better job.

I had a job like that, I tried to have night off as ill wouldn't let me so I just didn't turn up wrote my letter of leaving and got my partner to hand all my uniform and that back x

if its that bad then tell him to just leave it and not go back x

If ur oh gets more on jobseekers then he can go to the job centre and still sign on if he's working less than 16 hours a week. Then he will have to show any wage slips etc then he'l get jobseekers to make up the shortfall x

agree with what what said before, why go back to jobseekers just cos it pays more?! Surely knowing you've gone to work and earned the money is more important or am I wrong for thinking that?! I hated being on the dole, its awful. I'd rather be stacking shelves than that. I know you have a baby coming so he should be working AND looking for something better whilst building up some experience and a good reference

I think this threead is goin to turn into a war zone, pretty much anytime benefits verus jobs arise it does. At the end of the day you partner can only do what makes him happy, stress in life isn't good and if he needs to look else where and have a break then thats better than him hating his life and worrying endlessly about it hun x HUgs x

Well he went to work last night and they asked him last minute to work ALL day today.
He couldn't pluck up the courage to tell them he wants to quit either.

He agreed to work all day today but the only problem is he hasn't been sleeping properly lately, we've both been awake since 4am despite going to bed early last night, so he's not going to go into work today, he said he wants to go to the doctors instead.

I'm not sure if he's going to be going back to work or not.
But we also found out last night that he won't be getting more money if he works over Christmas (which he thought he would and agreed to work). I'm furious that he won't be getting paid extra, it's like they're just using him. So I think that plan is out of the window as well now!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back