how can i go about this?

Me, My Girls & I

Reaction score
i've been thinking over the last few days and i really want to raise awareness of hip dysplasia in the local area! well, atleast the local area! far too many people arent aware of it, especially medical professionals! but i just dont have a clue how i'd go about raising awareness or anything, i'm completely clueless! there's not enough help or information out there, especially in our hospital! i'm completely stuck! any ideas?!

i was gonna suggest the FB page to begin with then once you have enough members you could make a web site or forum. When you have alot of members you can go to the local paper to get some press then move things on from there xx

i've posted on the steps forum, which is all to do with leggies things asking if anyone can think of anything or anyone in my area would like to help! i just think its wrong that we get no info in hosp just get told there's a problem and we'll see you for the operation!

its bad that like. Hope you manage to do something, i'll support you chickadee xx

write to your hospital and say that you feel more information is needed and you would like to be involved
:flower:

it is chick! i dont know if the hospital would be much use! the nurses on the ward are lovely and they do have an info pack, but you dont get shown it til you go in for the procedure which isnt much use cos your heads up your arse! and you cant take it away so you dont get any time to digest the info! i dont think i read any of it at all!

Write to them and suggest that the timing of it needs looking at! I'm sure that other parents have thought the same stuff but not told the hospital so they don't know it needs looking at :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had dislocated hips on both hips when i was younger very young infact it didnt help that i was born breech bum first i came out lol.
But i had an operation 2 scars on each leg infact. I still dont know much about it to this day apart from these scars i have to deal with everyday. I know my family has had hip problems my mum had the right side an her mum had one side im the worst that had the worst of it.
Have you or family member or baby having hip dysplasia problems hun? x

yea katie, my oldest has it! it wasnt picked up on until she was quite old so its still causing issues now! i've got a bloody 2 year old that cant walk!

The MW that did Sebs newborn check told us about checking for hip dysplasia and we have been told several times to alert them if he has 'clicky' hip/s, uneven creases or one leg noticeably shorter than the other so there is some awareness out there. It's a really great thing you're trying to do!

I was going to suggest a FB page. I also like the idea of getting the info out earlier, maybe when diagnosed instead of before the op.

It was never mentioned to me when AJ was getting his checks although I knew they were checking his hips for some condition. I wouldnt have been able to tell you the name of the condition or signs of Hip Dysplasia.

Last edited:
yea katie, my oldest has it! it wasnt picked up on until she was quite old so its still causing issues now! i've got a bloody 2 year old that cant walk!

:shock: :( oh no, has your 2 year old been checked out and are they doing anything about it? im suprised they didnt keep an eye on when born an so on but for 2 years old you would of thought it would of been spotted early!
Aww im sorry to hear about this. Ive had to read up on google hip dysplasia because i didnt understand it all my mother never really explained much unless i asked about it wasnt much.
Ive been docs an said i keep getting leg ache alot sometimes an all they offered me was some sort of therapy to help my legs forgot wat it was called.
I bet your annoyed that they havent spotted it sooner or rather there not getting anything done as shes 2 years old now i hope they havent just spotted this at 2 years old id be fuming :hugs: x

it was diagnosed when she was about 9/10 months and she's been thru all her stuff now, just hoping she doesnt have to go thru anymore! she didnt get out of her plaster til june so she's just starting to get on her feet!

All the best hun i hope everything goes ok with her walking.x

I think FB's a good idea, then maybe get the views of a few people all to write in to the hospital to voice your concerns and suggest changes. They might not listen to one person but if 10 wrote in surely they would see a trend! I wasn't really told anything about hip dysplasia even when they thought Ross had a clicky hip. When we were referred to the hospital I really didn't know what to expect so they aren't great at sharing other than throwing random terms at you. Go for it hun, got my backing too!!

Is there a group or some sort of British association regarding hip dysplasia? If there is you could contact them and explain that you're interested in raising awareness and could they point you in the right direction.
I've done alot of awareness raising with mental health organisations.
It's always helpful hearing other peoples experiences and those who have been in a similar situation instead of someone who's just studied a text book. Think you'd be doing a really useful thing for others and you'd find it really rewarding too!
X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back