how can i get 6 month old to sleep through?

LISAMJS

Reaction score
Hi DS is 6 months old and is on 3 meals a day. He has 2.5 jars a small pot of porridge and 2 petit filous a day. he goes to bed about 1900 and wakes normally about 0200 but this can vary - sometimes he wakes twice a night. I breast feed him then put him back in his cot sleepy.
How can I get rid of the night feeds? I am going back to work soon. I find it hard to get back to sleep after feeding him.
I do not want to introduce a dream feed.

Any help appreciated
xxx

How much is he having boob feed wise I'd think was the key.

My LO has only recently dropped boob feeds and he has just turned 8 months and is now on 3 meals a day usually. But we did BLW so his food is very different from what your LO is on.

I'd say look at how many breastfeeds he is having each day and chances are he's maybe hungry and needing the nutrition of those, hence still waking. Milk is the main source of nutrition till they are one. Food might fill them up for a bit, but there are not many calories etc in the amounts of food they eat. So they still need their milk.

I'd try introducing a more filling tea perhaps. Maybe try porridge one evening. We use Boots Organic baby porridge which LO has eaten since 6 months old and loves. But try if you can to make sure he is taking enough milk during the day (formula guidelines someone told me as 500-600ml between 6-12 months so boob milk should be about the same amount). He may still wake but maybe will go longer.

My LO hardly boob feeds during the day now. He went from every 2 hours to one when he wakes, maybe one around 3pm and then one at bedtime. That is nowhere near enough for him so he wakes 2-3 times a night for monster feeds and often empties both boobs.

Unless you are sure LO is getting enough milk in the day I'd not rush to drop the night feeds until he is balanced out in the daytime.

Tips to get him off night feeds include

Giving water from a cup or bottle
Leaving him to settle himself again
Having OH go see to him and offer the water etc and you stay away

But again, make sure he is taking enough in the day. I'd drop my LOs night feeds if I felt he was getting enough in the day, but as I know he is not I am letting him keep going with them for a while and seeing how we go.

TBH its really not something you can force... connor has still never slept through and he's 10.5 months old :shock: :lol:

he eats like a horse (typically a large bowl of porridge for breakfast with fruit & a slice of toast; cheese/tuna/ham salad sandwich for lunch with more fruit; portion of whatever dinner we had the night before with veggies and a yoghurt for pudding - oh and he has snacks in between meals like raisins, carrot sticks etc). he BFs at least 4 times during the day and at the moment is feeding every 2 hours at night...

on the occasions that he's come close to sleeping through, he's either caught a cold or started teething again, and his sleeping pattern becomes disrupted once more.

co-sleeping is the only way that i stay sane; he gives me a kick or a whinge and i stick a boob in his mouth - all done whilst half asleep (as long as i haven't lost my nipple shield under the duvet :lol: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back