• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Housing Advice needed. UPDATED!!

lmarszall

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for advice on housing.

My partner and i are expecting our first baby in June. We currently live with my parents but it is very overcrowded. And we had a row yesterday and really have had enough of my mum at the moment. She get drunk and causes arguements and i don't want to live there anymore.

We are on the council list at the moment. But we are worried we won't be able to afford the rent / council tax / bills etc when i am on maternity leave. Which i start in May 20th.

When we are both at work we will manageable wages. And should be able to cope with all the bills.

But i will be on maternity leave until january only reciveing £108 a week. half of which goes on a loan i have.

So i was wondering if there was any help we can get as we really need our own place for when the baby arrives but don't know how we can manage on a single wage?

Does anyone have any experience of this or any advice? I am desperate to get out of my house now but can't see how we can afford it until i'm back at work??

Thanks
Laura

Last year my DH lost his job and we had to manage on my wages. I got £850 a month and had to pay £450 rent + bills + car + council tax + loan + credit card. We managed ok. I dont know about what benefits you can get but you find it's easier than you think to manage when your thrown into situations. :hug:

Shit, how long did you have do that for.

I suppose you have to cope but i just don;t want to put myself in that situatuion if it will be really bad. I mean i can stay at my mums but i really am fed up of it now.

So i really want to move out but just am worried we wont cope!

Laura
xx

lmarszall said:
sh*t, how long did you have do that for.

I suppose you have to cope but i just don;t want to put myself in that situatuion if it will be really bad. I mean i can stay at my mums but i really am fed up of it now.

So i really want to move out but just am worried we wont cope!

Laura
xx

About 9months or so.

If i were you id work out how much would be going out and coming in and see wether you could manage before rushing out and ending up in a worse situation.
Is there anyway you could talk to your mum and explain how you feel?

I wish i could but she is just going to get shitty about it.

She is ok when she is sober but when she has a drink she gets really funny about things.

The thing is when i found out i was pregnant i checked wth her and made sure she was ok with me living there or i would have come to a different solution earlier.

She is just about to buy a bigger house as my dad had MS and need downstairs facilities and she is now looking at houses with a room for us and one for the baby. But i bet then she'll make out we owe her and she moved for us, which is crap as she has to move for my dad anyway.

x

Unfortunately as both you and your partner are working you are not entitled to anything other than the statutory maternity pay, child tax credits and your child benefit, this is one reason why my oh cant take paternity leave because we cant afford to.

The way we are working it is that oh pays the mortgage and bills etc, and i will buy nappies etc and pay for my loan and credit card, anything left over i will give to him.

well i'm 19 and my partner is 22.... i was living with my mum and he was living in a hostel

when i was about 15 weeks pregnant i wen to the council and said my mum kicked me out etc... they moving me in a temp accommodation with in a week... i was they for about a month and then they moved me in a another temp place, but it's much better it's a one bedroom flat.. i should be they for a year, then hopefully they'll move me when she comes to a two bedroom..

my hubby works Mon-Fri with a very good wage.. they don't know his living with me.. i don't pay any rent or council tax just electric and gas

you could try that, but i dont know if it apply for your area....

But she isnt a single mother and eventually would get caught out.

Do you not think it is a little unfair that people who go to work and pay there own way are paying your rent when as you say your oh earns a decent wage?

If i have misunderstood you post then i apologise but that is the way it came across.

Flame said:

Do you not think it is a little unfair that people who go to work and pay there own way are paying your rent when as you say your oh earns a decent wage?

If i have misunderstood you post then i apologise but that is the way it came across.

I thought the same when i read it but didnt want to say. Makes me really mad and i say things that praps shouldnt be said :oops:

Yeah i think you just kinda manage when u gotta.... its very hard but possible.

Im on £0 income at moment but I am not entitled to a penny cos my OH works.... its hard and we are really struggling but we've got each other so we manage.

Good luck xxxxx

I will have to agree with Jenna and Flame - I used to work for the Housing Department within the Council and they are really cutting down on people who are committing benefit fraud - which if you are claiming you are a single parent and your partner earns a good wage and is living with you then it is. Beneft fraud is a crime and you can get into serious problems with it. If they find out - which they are more likely to you will have to pay back all the benfits you have taken and they wont be soft on you either.

Sorry to rant and rave but seriously this is wrong! Its not worth it in the short term you would be better off being honest about it now

If you are having problems with money you could always contact the CAB office and they might be able to help you.

Seriously sorry to rant

Flame said:

well hun it's temp job and he is finishing this month so it would not make a flipping difference..... his only been they for a monthe and i've just moved in

i would still have to go back on the support.... and he does pay his way. clam down because you don't really know the situation :D

maybe you should of PM'ED me before you jumped off the cliff

I think you set yourself up for that Neeko it sounded like you were suggesting that the original poster lie to the council too....I think its very naughty of you, you even posted the other day to ask how much benefits you would get as a single mother living on your own, so the intention is clearly there not to let the council know that your OH lives with you?!

Flame didn't get hype either, she added on the bottom that she apologised if she misunderstood :hug:

I apologise too if I misunderstood, but I posted a reply to your post the other day as I was confused because I thought you lived with your boyfriend. If you're breaking the law, and effecting other people then you should expect a less than warm reception about it.

just wanted to add, what about all the single mums that really do struggle, or have to stay in bad relationships because they can't afford to leave, and they have to jump through hoops in order to get even a little help because people lie about their situations therefore making the process untrustworthy. I don't think that lying in order to get more money is acceptible. Sorry if I am offending anyone.

I think a lot of people that REALLY need help never get what there entitled too basically because as soon as they get a penny there happy, where as other people who dont need the money push it and push it and get everything and dont really deserve it. (i say a lot i dont mean every one) :roll: My uncle had 7 kids just so he could get money... He should have had his bits removed!! :evil:

neeko_1 said:
Flame said:

well hun it's temp job and he is finishing this month so it would not make a flipping difference..... his only been they for a monthe and i've just moved in

i would still have to go back on the support.... and he does pay his way. clam down because you don't really know the situation :D

Hey i jumped off no cliff i marely spoke my mind and a lot of people agree with me that what you said you are doing is wrong.
If it was a private matter the i would have pm'd you.

neeko_1 said:
Flame said:

Neeko sorry to go against you but claiming benefits for being a single mum when your OH actually works is wrong.

I dont agree with it AT ALL and dont think you should be doing it, but a little bit of advice - Dont broadcast it on a public forum!

i'm a single mum as some of you may know and with all my benfits and my ex's matience (sp) for keeley i live off £10 a week and thats to buy me food and stuff.... :roll: i try my hardest to give keeley everything she needs and it pisses me off to think people lie and get houses other people need :x :x :x

eventally all people will get caught out... they always do
neeko; if you livin off one income you should get income support

Sorry guys,

When i posted for advice i didn't intend to cause an arguement.

As i happens i may be better off as a single mum. But i am not and i couldn't pretned i lived on my own as it is fraud and last thing my baby need is me getting a whopping fine or worse!

Thanks for all the advice though.

I need to find out how much it would cost to get our own place and how much money we will be getting when i'm off work on Mat leave.

Does anyone know roughly how much child tax credit you get?
If DP was working and i was on mat leave?

Thanks
Lau
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatema53