hot water bottles

Mike

Reaction score
this sounds a really stupid question but there are mixed views on the net.

my wife gets lots of cramps as the baby is growing, and back pains so she has started using a water bottle to calm the pain down. it seems to work but been told that its not always a good idea as the bottle could raise the body temp slightly which may casue more harm than good.

she lays with it under the lower part of her back and also on her belly where the baby is. is this ok to do???

i dont think this would be a problem but i have called nhs direct tonight to check. just waiting on call back.

anyone else used hot water bottles??
have you asked your doctors/midwifes about using them??
what advice have you been given in the past about relaxing the pain???

I really feel for my wife right now. 2nd tri is really boring. no fun bits apart from sexing scan (in 4 weeks time, cant wait). everything else is pain, aches, dizzyness, sickness, moodswings and lack of sleep.

i dont no how she is doing it. i dont think i could cope with what she is doing. you women are crazy!!!! lol.
during pregnacy you women seem more manly than us blokes. lol

Hey, I used to get really bad back ache from second trimester onwards and every night I had a hot water bottle to ease the pain, i did hear that you were not meant to use them but the pain was just horrid and it was the only thing that seemed to help!! It never did me any harm and my little girl is six weeks old now :) hope this helps. And your right us women are bloody crazy lol ;) x try not to worry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's just warm to help the pain it shouldn't do any harm - the issue with raising your whole body temperature (with things like hot baths etc.) is that when you're hot, blood flow is diverted to the skin to cool you down, and therefore away from your baby. A hot (warm) water bottle on one part of your body is unlikely to raise your core body temperature x

well i have just had a call back from the nhs direct lady and she has looked through many books and spoke to a few nurses and she cant find anything to say its a bad idea. she said using a water bottle is fine but not to make it too hot, like using from a kettle, just use the hottest water from a tap and have a towel or something like that wrapped around it so your skin dont get burnt.

she said its unlikly that the body core tempeture will rise enough to cause harm.
another worry off my mind.
it was a silly question but at least now its answered for people in the future looking at this.

It doesn't raise the body temp enough to affect the baby.
A warm bath will help and a the water bottle is fine.
Also a massage too (that's for u to come in lol)
It helps and do not touch her spine.

Glad it's ok to use it - and it's not a silly question at all! I thought about it for my back when I was pregnant too but it was about 30 degrees in the house and I couldn't face making myself any warmer :lol:

I text my aunt who is a midwife at the royal London hospital n asked (don't like asking her too much as somethings I'm too shy to ask as she is my aunt)
It's safe just as long as it's not hot n direct on the skin. Pref with a cover on it or a small towel.
My house is usually warm but not too too hot.
But mind u I have been having hot baths since before I was pregnant n during. Lukewarm baths just dont help.
But it's hot enough to soothe my back ache but not too hot that I have to hover over the water.
I hope ur wifes backache eases a bit. I won't lie to you, it may get a tad bit worse as baby is growing. If it does, the same things usually help.

I text my aunt who is a midwife at the royal London hospital n asked (don't like asking her too much as somethings I'm too shy to ask as she is my aunt)
It's safe just as long as it's not hot n direct on the skin. Pref with a cover on it or a small towel.
But mind u I have been having hot baths since before I was pregnant n during. Lukewarm baths just dont help.
But it's hot enough to soothe my back ache but not too hot that I have to hover over the water.
I hope ur wifes backache eases a bit. I won't lie to you, it may get a tad bit worse as baby is growing. If it does, the same things usually help.

this one wont aint too hot for the skin, its got a fluffy jacket to it.
Scared the crap out of me last night. got into bed and started stroking it under the cover thinking it was the cat but then the cat jumped on the bed, i thought wtf and then screamed like a little girl, lol.
obviously the wife was in tears crying. (she's so supporting) lol

this one wont aint too hot for the skin, its got a fluffy jacket to it.
Scared the crap out of me last night. got into bed and started stroking it under the cover thinking it was the cat but then the cat jumped on the bed, i thought wtf and then screamed like a little girl, lol.
obviously the wife was in tears crying. (she's so supporting) lol

Looooooooooool Omg u actually made me laugh til I cried. I'd have jumped out my skin or given birth there n then Loooool

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back