Hospital stay after birth

little*red

Reaction score
Hey girls,
My mum was saying to me the other day that, as this is my first baby, that i'd maybe have to stay in hospital for a few days to check everything is ok. Is this still true (remembering my mum had her first child in 1979) or have things changed for new mums? I'll be having the baby in a NHS hospital.
Also apart from being a first-time mum, what other reason might i have to be kept in hospital for, after giving birth?
I hate the thought of being away from my OH for a few days but i'd like to be prepared by knowing that i'll have to stay if nessesary. :D

2 friends who recentley had theirs in NHS, were out within 6-7 hours.

Only reason they keep you in is due to complications during birth as far as im aware

I had Charlie on Thursday at 4.50pm, i could have been home on Friday Morning but chose to stay until Saturday morning as i just felt it was too quick to be home. I had a completely normal delivery and no stitches or anyting but just felt overnight was just too quick to get home. I was ready by sat morning to get home.

I would have been allowed out about 2pm on the same day I give birth (so it would have been 6 hours) the midwife told me but because Nathan was early i had to stay in 5 days :shock:

I had Kayleigh on the Monday morning, and wasn't allowed home until the Friday afternoon!! :shock: But that was nearly 14 years ago.

With Charlie, I had a C section on the Thursday morning, and was home by Saturday lunchtime! :shock: TBH, that was a little early, as my milk came in on Saturday night and as I wasn't breastfeeding, I was in agony. I could hardly move because of the section, and enormous painful breasts, and then DH came down ill that night so I had to do everything for Charlie. At 3am, I couldn't get out of bed, and just laid there crying because I couldn't get to Charlie. :cry:

little*red said:
Hey girls,
My mum was saying to me the other day that, as this is my first baby, that i'd maybe have to stay in hospital for a few days to check everything is ok. Is this still true (remembering my mum had her first child in 1979) or have things changed for new mums? I'll be having the baby in a NHS hospital.
Also apart from being a first-time mum, what other reason might i have to be kept in hospital for, after giving birth?
I hate the thought of being away from my OH for a few days but i'd like to be prepared by knowing that i'll have to stay if nessesary. :D

if you want to breast feed id recommend a good 4 or 5 days stay in hospital. It ensures you rest adn get on hand help with good attachment before you go home.

I went for a home birth and so didn't need to stay inn hospital, even though I had to go to hospital for the stitches, I was allowed to leave once they were finished. I was breastfeeding as well, thankfully my OH did a lot in that first week while I recovered and found my feet.

I had this conversation only yesterday with my bestfriend who is a midwife... she said that hospital policy is try to get the mother and baby back home within 6-7 hours of giving birth - if there are no complications.... but she advised me to stick my ground and say that I wanted to stay atleast over night as I want to breast feed and this is the best way of getting oh hand help and knowing that baby is feeding okay before we go home...

With my first they kept me in for 3 days and i had to fight to be let home then. Don't know why cos everything was fine! With my 2nd they couldn't get rid of me quick enough, a few hours i think.

I had damon 6:59am saturday morning and wanted to go home that day but they would not let me :shakehead:
So i went home sunday evening :D

I can't speak from experienc as yet but my friend had her abby last week at the back of 2 in the morning (her first) and got out at 6pm :shock:

The hozzy im going to says you can leave as soon as 6 hours after birth providing it was straightforward, however they like your baby to be checked by paedatrician (sp?) before you leave, if you leave without baby seeing him/her then you would have to come back in the next day to see them anyhow.

I think they 'like' you to stay in a good 24 hours after birth to be on safe side, but its up to the patient really I think.

I had Lydia at 8.35am Sunday morning.
They let me go home at lunchtime the next day (Monday), although they did give me the choice of staying 1 extra day if I wanted to. I chose to go home though where I was more comfortable.

This was an NHS hospital.

little*red said:
Hey girls,

depends on your trust, most have new mothers in for at least 24hrs, i know ours wont discharge a first time mother until she has bathed her child under supervision of a midwife, and baby's been checked over etc,

if you have a temp you have to stay in ( previous experience ), also if you had a high risk pregnancy they expect you to stay in

i didnt come home til the day after i had my 2nd, they cant actually say sorry your not staying, but if you want to go home you can

I had Braydon at 3.27 pm and was allowed home at 8 but as i tore so bad decided to stay in over nite

i had to stay in over night because i was bleeding heavily but otherwise i wud have been out within 6 hours

I had Arianna at 2.32am on the Sat and was home by 1pm that day. I was fine with it all but if you want to stay longer you can - they won't throw you out!!

S. xx

When I was in hospital I seen a few first time mums come in one day and go home the next. I think they only keep you in now if there is a problem with you or the baby like I had to stay in for six days as Jake had jaundice and was having trouble breast feeding. They want you in and out as quick as possible now though.

My experience: -

I stayed 2 nights and was climbing the walls at that point as it was so small and claustrophic - everyone had their curtains closed and there was about 2 feet of space around the bed. Plus I was bored as Maddie slept a lot, but I couldn't watch TV as other mums were sleeping.

But I don't think I could have stayed longer if I'd wanted to as they wouldn't have had the room.

Re. breastfeeding, they hold a clinic you can attend as an out patient if you are struggling so they wouldn't allow you to stay simply to establish breastfeeding.

My mum and MIL were both shocked at how quickly you're discharged, but it's not like I got any rest anyway - Maddie was with me all the time , I was in a bay with 5 other mums all with their own babies who were on/off crying through the night, and I was terrified of someone sneaking in an stealing my baby!!!! I barely slept a wink and was totally knackered and ready for home!

LBxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back