Hospital bag snacks...

zoe82

Reaction score
Just reading I should be putting snacks and drinks in my hospital bag, but any suggestions on what sort of things to put in there? Might sound like a stupid question, but all I'm thinking is crappy junk food and that's probably not ideal!:)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Lucozade, juice boxes, nuts, dried fruit, cereal bars, pretzels...

I have also got crisps and sweets - don't think I'll be thinking about being healthy when I'm in that much pain!!! X x

Thanks! No me neither, but I was thinking I didn't want loads of mad sugar rushes, but actually, I probably do! I best get on and buy this stuff :)

I didnt eat anything during labour at hospital but recommend something sugary after I had chocolate

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk 2

I didn't eat anything while in labour I didn't have time!! Lol!! But as there's nothing after I could have done with something to eat then and this time will pack stuff for energy!

To be honest I can't imagine wanting to eat in labour either, but good idea for afterwards, I'll stock up on supplies! :)

Like some of the others said I didn't eat during labour, although make sure you have plenty of water to hand. But afterwards I was grateful for my cereal bars and packet of Haribo :) xxx

Oo, I was gonna ask this question actually, wasn't sure what to pack snacks-wise! Good shout Zoe!
Was thinking of freezing some drinks (maybe isotonics?) so they stay cold when Im in labour?

Iv got some of the flat lucozade sport, cereal bars, mars bars. I was told to take some stuff for my OH too... Might get a wee bag of haribo in the bag to celebrate with.

I've got coconut water, plain crisps, trail mix & microwave rice. Might throw in some coke & chocs to.

My MW said to eat as many small, high energy snacks as possible during early labour to build up your stores ready for full-blown labour. She said that your muscles work so hard during labour that it's like running a marathon, so you've got to try and keep your energy up and replace lost sugars and salts - so glucose tablets and isotonic drinks are the best for later stages of labour. I've also packed some cereal bars, some starchy snacks and dried fruit. And anything your OH might want - your birth partner must look after themselves as well as you because it's tiring for them too. xxx

I have returned from my labour snack shop at Tesco and have come home with loads of junk, I might need to take a picnic basket with me! I have cereal bars, mars bars, pretzels, granola and fruit bags, haribo (just because), fruit juice, squash, lucozade and glucose sweets :thumbup: hopefully me and OH are covered, now just need LO to arrive! :)

I had wine gums during my labour :) they were awesome x x

Oh good, so my haribo aren't so stupid then! :)

I had no time to pack snacks to my bags apart from a packet of biscuits when my waters went and even then got sent home. Our hospital then told me to go back when the contractiosn were every 5 mins lasting a min and tbh by then i was in soo much pain that i couldnt eat and was only allowed water to drink incase i needed to go t theatre.
Defo pack stuff for after though xxx

Just reading I should be putting snacks and drinks in my hospital bag, but any suggestions on what sort of things to put in there? Might sound like a stupid question, but all I'm thinking is crappy junk food and that's probably not ideal!:)

i have a recipe for flapjacks off baby centre (so gotta be good), they take about 12m to cook, and are yummy :)

i can find it out if you'd like?

I took crisp and cereal bars in and after I had the baby I sent my Oh to get me a can of coke as I was craving sugar so bad Lol xxx

i have a recipe for flapjacks off baby centre (so gotta be good), they take about 12m to cook, and are yummy :)

i can find it out if you'd like?

Yeah sounds good! I'll make them next week just to keep me occupied! :)

ok...

100g sunflower margarine (we used vitalite)
75g demerara sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
250g porridge oats
100g chopped dates (I actually used a pack of dried blueberries in one batch and dried cherries in another lol)

preheat the oven to 200degrees c (gas mark 6)
heat the margarine and sugar on a low heat until melted
stir in the golden syrup, dates (or other fruit) and oats and mix well

grease a baking tray and press the mixture into the baking tray
bake for 12-15 minutes
remove from oven and leave to cool for 2-3 mins
mark into "fingers" with a sharp knife
leave to cool completely before removing from tray.

These keep for a few days in an air tight container and apparently can also be frozen.

Thanks! I'll give these a whirl tomorrow x :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back