• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home Birth

HeppiBean

Reaction score
Ok, I've decided to start planning for a home birth. I'm seeing my midwife next week and am going to book an appointment with my GP to discuss pros and cons etc etc. In the meantime I was just wondering if any of you had previous experience of home births/planning on a home birth? And people opinions of it?

Also I have this list of things I'll need to have Francesca at home, but can you think of anything else? Does the midwife bring other things they may need?

Many thanks xx

Things I Need

phone numbers of midwife
protective coverings for floor and furniture
protective covering for bed
old sheets and towels
bin liners
desk lamp/bright lamp/torch
things to keep baby warm after the birth
sanitary pads
pain relief - hot water bottles, TENS, midwife "approved" pain relief - ie. gas and air
camera
drinks and snacks
hospital bag, just in case

Would you be interested in a water birth at home? I've heard of lots of people getting a pool set up for them to labour in and even deliver x x

Would you be interested in a water birth at home? I've heard of lots of people getting a pool set up for them to labour in and even deliver x x

Our hot water tank needs replacing. At the moment it barely holds enough water for OH and I to both have a bath... Let alone fill a water birthing pool... Plus - 1st floor flat... Probably not very practical... I did consider it at first though before I realised that stuff lol. Thanks though xx

I'm planning a home birth too, just starting to look into it so not sure what else you might need.

A girl I know just started talking to me on facebook via chat telling me that I'm being irresponsible and asking for my child to die having a home birth :( I know that there's an increased risk when giving birth at home, but the hospital is only 20 minutes away if I needed medical attention so I don't see how I'm "asking for my baby to die"... Really do wish that some people would keep their opinions to themselves.........

Whoever your speaking to, Id just close the chat. Silly people. If the midwives start to be concerned at all, theyll call for you to be transferred to hospital.

I found this birth story from Mervs Mum on here, she had a lovely homebirth http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/bir...ney-earthside-april-fools-day-home-birth.html

I plan to have a home birth next time (hopefully) as I believe women are far more relaxed at home and feel like they can move however they like and so tend to get into better positions. Generally you'll give birth in your lounge so less likely to be lying down on a bed too :) Hope everything goes to plan for you!

Whoever your speaking to, Id just close the chat. Silly people. If the midwives start to be concerned at all, theyll call for you to be transferred to hospital.

I found this birth story from Mervs Mum on here, she had a lovely homebirth http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/bir...ney-earthside-april-fools-day-home-birth.html

I plan to have a home birth next time (hopefully) as I believe women are far more relaxed at home and feel like they can move however they like and so tend to get into better positions. Generally you'll give birth in your lounge so less likely to be lying down on a bed too :) Hope everything goes to plan for you!

Thank you so much, Ideally I'd like to give birth on my hands and knees so will probable be leant on the sofa lol. Going to have a read of that birth story. Have read loads online as well and honestly the more I read, even the ones that didn't go so well, make me want it more! All of the ladies seem to say that they were more relaxed and coped better whilst at home :) xx

It also means you get 2 midwives all to yourself throughout the birth. Cant beat that! I barely had one during mine so 2 is like luxury.

Like you as well, Ive read loads of stories and even the women who end up being transfered still say theyd do it again. Ah must be so nice to stay at home!

Well, I'm due in 10 weeks... If all goes smoothly there'll be a home birth story up from me! :D

Mervs Mum's birth story was inspiring to say the least... She did so well! I almost cried... I'm such a hormonal wreck at the moment...... xx

Heppi, a planned home birth is no more dangerous than a planned hospital birth. Not only do you get two midwives, but in our area, you also have an ambulance placed on standby just in case you need to transfer to Medway. Home births statistically carry a far lower risk of intervention too! Am still considering one for Pickle. If you have a tough time getting them to agree to it, for any reason, check out www.aims.org.uk it has great advice!

Thanks :) It's good to know that round here at least they have an ambulance on stand by just in case... Makes it that bit more reassuring :) x

It was the first thing I was told at my Booking appointment when I said I was considering a home birth!
My sister had horrendous hospital labours, her home ones were a breeze in comparison! Her second was 47 hours in Medway, third was 2 hours start to finish and in three pushes the little one waas here!

To be honest, the only reason I first considered a home birth was because I'm terrified at the thought of OH having to spend his daughters first night in the world away from her (that and my fear of being alone). Then when I started reading up on them I just wanted one more and more and more... To the point where now I'm actually really really excited about the prospect! I'll be so let down now thoough if it turns out I can't have one, but the only reason they'd have to turn me down would be that where I was born with a minor heart defect there's a small chance Francesca might be... But fingers crossed this wont get in the way! Will have a word with my consultant :D x

Fingers crossed hun. After reading up on it, sometimes us ladies have to fight to get a home birth, but the aims website i posted a link to has advice on what to say just in case your midwife says no!

If Francesca has been growing properly so far, can't see what the problem would be!

What a load of crap about home births being dangerous! Honestly some people are still brain washed into what was told in the 1950s! I've been reading up a lot on the subject and there are far less complications than hospital births and like the others said you have one to one care which you def don't get in hospital, plus an ambulance on standby.

I am planning a home birth and my midwife was more than relaxed when I asked at my 10 week appointment, she very was encouraging. I haven't given any thought into what I will need but I am sure the midwife will help with that, I am going to hire a pool so probably need to start looking into that x

I want to hire a pool too, there's quite a lot to choose from that range in price! My midwife seemed really positive at 12 week app about home birth too, def reasures you.

That is an amazing birth story, makes me feel very excited actually!

Fingers crossed hun. After reading up on it, sometimes us ladies have to fight to get a home birth, but the aims website i posted a link to has advice on what to say just in case your midwife says no!

If Francesca has been growing properly so far, can't see what the problem would be!

I had a read through and it definitely does sound like I could end up with a bit of a fight on my hands... But once my minds stuck on something I'm a stubborn bitch :lol: So long as my consultant says that I'm OK for a home birth then there's no way they're gonna stop me :D xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back