Hmmm...is my LO a little behind??

deedee84

Reaction score
So...my DD has just started full time school, shes 4...5 in January! she had her 1st P.E lesson today at school but ended up doing it in her uniform as she tried to put her lace up plimsolls on and couldnt lace them up...now i'm wondering if at her age she should be able to lace shoes up or whether its normal for her to struggle with it...please shed some light on this anyone :blush: (she ended up doing PE in her uniform as she decided to do the plimsolls first before anything else and run out of time...i have told her tomorrow she should concentrate on her shorts and T-shirt and ask a teacher re her shoes) thnx ladies xx

My daughters 5 and she doesn't know how to tie shoe laces yet. I don't think I knew how to do it either until I was around 6. I wouldn't worry about it x.

I wouldn't be worried. I don't have a LO that age, but I remember learning to tie my shoe laces around the time I started school, as in after I went to school but defo not before.

I can't even remember the method to teach it though and was stressing about teaching oscar this the other day lol. still got 5 years to worry yet lol

I can't believe nobody helped her tie her shoes!! Bless her xx

I'm a teacher and most kids don't even know by age 7....best answer is to get velcro plimsolls and shoes! Velcro annoys the stuffing out of me when kids sit there ripping their shoe straps constantly but it saves time in PE!
xx

thanks guys thats put my mind at ease lol...think i may deffo have to invest in vecro straps! and i know, i cant believe no one helped her either poor thing haha she said she was nearly crying cos she couldnt do them bless her! xx

I wouldn't worry about her being able to tie shoe laces at that age either. She will soon pick it up. You could always get one of those teddy things where she can practise tying shoe laces. xx

oooh didnt know u could get a teddy to do that :D i shall have a scout about for one! i have tried with her in the past we have both sat with a shoe each and i have done it step by step, she can do the first part just not the bow part so to speak lol she gets a bit tangled bless, well i'm not going to worry about it just yet anyway if its normal for a 5 year old not to know how to do it, its a huge relief knowing that :D x thanks again!

thanks guys thats put my mind at ease lol...think i may deffo have to invest in vecro straps! and i know, i cant believe no one helped her either poor thing haha she said she was nearly crying cos she couldnt do them bless her! xx

Awwww bless her, that has made me want to cry (pmt atm and crying is easy right now)

haha i know the feeling, it brought a tear to my eye when she told me (and i'm not even PMT-ing lol), just imagining her sat on her own, new school, new people with her bottom lip out and tears in her eyes :( she really didnt want to go today just because it was PE again but they havent done it today so she seems happier thank god! xx

Just to add my youngest will be 7 at xmas and shes only recently learnt to tie her shoes xxx

oh thanks jojo that makes me feel so much better, i think i am just more aware of certain traits now that shes in full time school :/ i'm sure i will get used to all this newness lol xx

ah bless her :( cant believe noone helped her. I think its normal not to be able to tie shoe laces, Id focus on teaching her to ask for help when she needs it instead of struggling on her own, poor thing :(

well we did get somewhere today, PE day again and she said she managed to get changed into her PE kit and asked a teacher to help her out with her plimsoll laces :) still going to get her some velcro's this weekend though! xx

:D hee hee i was so chuffed for her when she finished school and told me...and she actually enjoyed PE today not like last week, not taking after her mum after all then lol x

hmmm me too...with a passion! i managed to get a sick note for it for the whole of high school muhahaha :O xx

lol i had my period every week the term we had swimming :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back