HELP!!!!!

KJ

Reaction score
Hiya hun,

health visitors can be so rude can't they? Don't worry, I'm sure you're feeding your baby all the right stuff. The jars these days are made to be nutritionally balanced.

My baby is just 8 months old now. He's been on solids since 6 months and is now on 3 full meals a day with dessert.

I do cook my own food for him, but then I've had the time. Sounds like you've had quite a time of it in your personal life so you can't be superwoman.

I don't really give him finger food as it just ends up anywhere but in his mouth, and I'd prefer that he actually ate the food I give him, so I usually spoonfeed him. Sometimes if he's eaten all his breakfast and still hungry, I'll do him a piece of brown toast and spread some no salt butter on it and give that as finger foods, but that's about it.

As for the meat issue, Ash has now had, Tuna, Chicken, Cod, Haddock, and Beef. He's been fine with all of them, although I' suspect he's not that keen on the red meat, but loves the chicken and fish.

He will drink water although only a few sips at each meal. I offer it to him from a sippy cup after each meal while he's still in his highchair.

He still has a breastfeed morning and evening, and one bottle of formula mid afternoon.

I think it's only important to give the correct ratio of formula to water when you're actually using it as a milk drink. If it's just to get your LO to drink water, then less formula is ok. He still has milk feeds doesn't he? It is dangerous to give too much powder to water, but that's not what's been suggested to you. However, I've never heard of giving weak formula to get babyies to drink water. I've usually heard to give diluted friut jiuce.

K.xx

You will know what is best for your baby, if jars were really bad for babies then no-one would use them :wink: I cook for Maddison as I have the time to do it but she gets jars too (Hipp). I cook her beef or chicken with sweet potatoes and veg. Havent tried fish as yet, keep meaning to though. For finger foods Maddison has toast, mini rusks, chicken breast and ham :hug:

Hiya,

yep, just peel, chop and boil most veg. I don't have a steamer either. I just boil them a bit longer than I normally would for adults so they're easier to blend.

I am experimenting with roasting veg aswell now, just with some oil chopped in a tray in the oven.

I think you can use apple or orange juice. Dilute it 1 part juice with 9 parts water. It's not ideal and could get to their teeth, so make sure you brush them regularly. But if it's the only way to get your LO to drink water then it's better than them geting no fluids.

Ash has breastfeed 8am, breakfast 8-9am, lunch 12-12.30noon, bottle 3.30pm, dinner 5pm, breastfeed 6.30pm.
That's a typical day for him.

Baby rice with pureed fruit is good for brekkie. You can try loads of different friuts.

I also let Ash have a fromage frais once a day for dessert, he loves them!!

K.xx

:hug: :hug: CalamityGem :hug: :hug: Your HV is out of order talking to you like that, she should listen to you and then support you, jarred food is not rubbish at all and if your LO doesn't want water it's not a bad thing :shock:

Ava is only 6months anyway, and as the HV should be promoting the guidelines, she should only now be starting first tastes :roll: You take weaning at her pace, and yours, and introduce a nice balanced and healthy diet as you see fit for your DD :hug: :hug: :hug:

Isaac had HiPP jars for the 4-6months stage but then went off the spoon and was self feeding from there, except weetabix and yoghurt which need a spoon, he liked jars up until that point and they gave him needed variety and enjoyment. He only started drinking something other than milk at 10months, and he's very happy and healthy, without having drank water for 6months :) some babies just don't from an early age.

When it comes to homemade food, try her with finger foods, see how she takes to it, if she's not happy, try it mashed, she could be ready to tackle that texture now, but again if she isn't just puree :hug: You could stay with the jars but then introduce finger foods as snacks, steamed carrot or butternut squash sticks, rice cakes, melon or mango slices, just nothing with any added salt, sugar or honey :hug:

Isaac didn't start eating and thoroughly enjoying meat until he reached 11months, before that he wasn't keen, but now he loves it, especially beefburgers, and slices of ham. I have heard meat can be the last taste babies adjust to, so again I'd say try her, if she doesn't like, leave it a few days, a week, then re-try. If anything, weaning is about patience and fun, if you can do both those whilst weaning you will have a great time with it and so will your DD :) Very best wishes, and check out baby led weaning posts and web pages too :) :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back