erin, rosies mummy, melio, rak rak any1 else with a 6 month old

mel_ed

Reaction score
i'm getting all stressed about his eating lol. sorry i sound like a right worrier!
after u said sandwiches i gave finley 1 and cut it up into little pieces and he just sucked on it didnt really eat it.
when you give then finger foods eg sandwiches, apple, banana do they actually eat it or just chomp on it?
how much milk do your little ones drink? do they have milk with every meal? do you give them water juice out of a sippy cup??? because finley's not getting the hang of the cup he just chews on it. so i'm worrying he's not getting enough liquids so i just give him milk
sorry for all the questions

what other finger foods do you give them?

Hi Mel,
Zac just sucks on stuff, he doesn't actually eat the finger food, I give him a cup of water, but he spits out more than he drinks! I try and give him a couple of ounces of water in a bottle to keep his liquids up. He still has 4 7oz bottles as he doesn't have loads of food yet. Don't worry, I'm sure you are doing fine!

Zac used to chew on the weaning cup, so I got him a free flow cup which is a lot better. What type are you using?

X

well i spoke to the heaalth vistor and she said he can eat anything now and he shud be on 5 meals a day. but i only started weaning about 4 weeks ago so to me i think that going abit fast intoducing 3 meals so soon.
he's got a few cups taht i keep trying but with no luck. think i'll just stick to pureed things at meal times and few finger foods in between.
what sort of things is zac having
thanks for your help. dont know why i'm getting all stressed over it.

He has only been interested for about a week, so just stating off really, he has porridge or a yoghurt in the morning and puréed veg in the afternoon, finger foods I have given him so far are banana, tangerine, toast, hard cheese, celery, and these organic carrot puffs (they look like wotsits). My HV said zac should be on 3meals a day, but I don't want to push him too quickly, need to give his digestive system time to get used to food, he is pooing a lot less since I started.

You seem to be doing everything right in my opinion xxx

thats what i thought i dont wanna rush him. i say sod the hv do things are way as long as they are getting used 2 food thats all that matters.
so blooofy messy with the finger foods lol. he loves toast tho. i put him abit of jam on it this morn what a mess!

I feed oscar 2ce a day with puree stuff. the rest of the time i bf

if i give him finger food he just loves to mush it up.

i give him diluted fruit juice in a bottle but he mostly chews it rather than drinks it.

i believe that food before 1 is for fun. most of their nutrition comes from milk anyway xx

Ha definitely messy! I agree that it's not about nutrition just getting them used to flavours and textures. The HV really worried me when zac wasn't drinking all his milk and I'm not going to let them worry me about this. My mum didn't wean me or my sisters til 8months as we weren't ready and we are all fine xxx

I just typed a big thing on the other thread lol, and I just put what amy put, that food under one is only for fun :)

Last edited:
Whe you start them on finger foods they have to train their tongues to push food to the back of their mouths. Also, they don't understand for a while that what they're playing with is actually food. To them it's a new toy :)

Can take them weeks to figure it out :) Xx

Emily doesn't always have 3 meals a day, I find it very hard to get her to eat anything savoury.

When I give her finger foods she just sucks too! She can't hold a banana either, just slips out her hand, lol!

Just go at the pace you think finleys ready for. X

You really shouldn't be getting stressed about it.....before 1 year its purely about learning what food is and how to eat, not nutrition. I'd say carry on just as you are :) Gumming and mushing food then spitting it out is just the 1st step in learning. WRT milk, I usually make sure Jess has a feed before mealtime, so that she is not hungry. That way she doesn't get frustrated with the food that she cant eat, but enjoys experimenting with it. It also ensures she gets all the nutrition she needs from the milk and isnt filling up on food that she might not get as much good stuff from. She has the same amount of milk (4 bottles of 7oz in 24 hours at 7 months old) that she had before we started solids :)

Hope that helps x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back