helping his constipation...

kitten1102

Reaction score
for the last few weeks, tim has been suffering from costipation... i give him 20ml of water each day to balance out his 5oz of formula that he has in the evenings. is this enough?

the past few days it really seems to be bothering him, and he looks as though he's in pain...

would it be ok to give him a dose of calpol to try and take the edge off?

Hi, what formula is he on? Maddison got badly constipated on SMA Gold so we had to change her to Cow & Gate and no problems with her poo anymore :wink:

That was the first thing I would have suggested too, try a different brand for a few days and see if you start getting the mega poo's back. We also switched from SMA gold to cow and gate and he's been fine (though I mostly breastfeed) though we do still give him water, very occasionally.

we started on SMA gold, but switched after getting no poo but lots of screaming for 10 straight days... he's now on cow & gate, and we get MEGA dirty nappies intermittently (sp?)

he is breastfed all day, but has EBM and formula after his bath each night...

I will suggest ready made formula milk - its very watery in comparison to ready made powder milk, it certainly helps my girl when shes having a bad day. Or as suggested switch formulas, I recommend cow and gate.

Are you sure its constipation and not just wind?
If he is being breast fed too, then he might only poo once or twice a week as there is very little waste from breast milk. If his poos are soft & messy then its possibly just wind instead, I wouldn't recommend calpol for him though - maybe try infacol before each feed (bf & ff) or gripe water?
When he has had a feed, try to make things easier for him by keeping him upright after a breastfeed for around 10 minutes (let him sleep against your shoulder) and after a formula feed do what you can to try to get a good burp out of him.
I used to lie Libby face down against my arm, as the slight pressure on her tum would help release the wind.

It sounds like it could be wind, as you mainly BF so that wouldn't really cause constipation, although your diet could effect him, so keep a note of what you're eating or do eat and see if it effects LO :hug: These links may help? Hope he feels better real soon, very best wishes :hug: Would also like to say that for Isaac SMA did hinder his bowel, so we too moved to Cow&Gate, though he's now on HiPP.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/health/constipation/
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breast ... edingdiet/
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/health/wind/

I think it sounds like wind too. I wouldnt give him Calpol - I think he is still too young for that :think:

Arianna was fine on SMA Gold, but I have heard it can cause problems in the poo'ing department so maybe change like the other girls have suggested.

Hope he is ok and not in too much pain :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back