HELP!! TO DRIVE OR NOT TO DRIVE!!!

littlepip

Reaction score
Ok so i cant sleep because keep thinking about my car! Im going onto income support this week and so i will have a big drop in money and im a single parent so that doesnt make it any easier! So anyway my car currently costs me around £100 for insurance and petrol in a month. I have a loan that i have to pay for the next 4 years which is £160 a month so you can see why im struggling!!! Now i have £800 in savings just in case i need it but with all the bils piling up at the moment im gonna need to use some soon and i really dont want to have to go abck to work just yet!! i cant even leave him for an hour without getting upset! So do i sell my car which would give me about another £1500 i reckon in my savings whihc will mean i have over £2000 in savings plus im saving myself £100 a month oooor do i keep it?
I live a few hundred yards from sainsburys (and mcdonalds :p) about 1/2 mile from town, 1.5 mile from my mums house and a mile from tescos. Its just a pain if i want to go on holiday or take him places that are further away but if im saving £100 a month on insurance and petrol then sod it i can get a taxi or bus!!

Sorry for such a long message lol its a big decision!!

Well the benefits of selling the car seem to outweigh the benefits of keeping it :D You will have more money to spend each month, you dont live far from the shops and if you have an iceland then they will deliver your shopping for you! If not then living so close to sainsburys wont cost that much in a taxi, although Im sure you will have to take a baby car seat with you for a taxi as most wont have them installed.

If you ever want to go on holiday or take baby somewhere far away then you could always hire a car, it does cost a bit but then again you will have saved some dosh from selling your car so once in a while you could afford it.

Good luck with whatever you decide :wave:

i'd say sell it, you seem close enough for everything you need..plus have family nearby that could help out with bigger shops/do online shopping..

The money you save will be a weight off your mind, second hand cars are depreciating fast, and the later you leave it to sell it the less it will be worth.

Hire cars are really cheap now too, so even hiring one for a day a month for about £20 or so means you can still have a day out

I wouldnt sell you car, its so important to have one when having a baby and think of the days out you can do if you want to go further to the zoo etc.

Please dont sell your car, why investigate and see what would be cheaper to run and on insurance and shop for insurance.

Don't sell your car!

It sounds to me it would be cheaper for you to hire a car for holidays than have one all the time :wink:

I would keep it, i dont know how i would live without being able to drive now! i seriously dont know how people do it!

especially with a baby, i mean getting on and off buses with a baby and a pram must be a nightmare, we currently have two cars but are selling them both and getting one which we can share which will be less on the insurance.

:hug:

I would keep the car, but thats just me. I love cars.

The freedom a car gives you cannot be replaced by pubic transport or walking, no matter how close you are to tesco!!

I hope you can work it out so you can keep the car, if not, then... Id rather stay with DS than have a car, so if I HAD to, to be able to do this then, id sell the car. (but id cry every day)

Could you not sell it bt get another cheaper to buy, cheaper insurance/tax/fuel?

personally, i couldn't live without my car and I live close to everything too. but i'd miss nto being able to hop in the car and go shopping in a different town. thats just me though, if you feel you can do without then thats ok but for me, i love my car too much as its my freedom :) If you sold it, you woud probably find thats the time you'll need it!

I can't imagine not having a car.. I think my house would have to go first :lol:

I have sold my car but only to buy a bigger one as it was too small for buggy/carseat etc. I am currently using OH while he is away and if i ever need it when he is back in the country i have to get up early to take him to work :?
Its driving me mad i need my own car
Yes town is only a 15 min walk away but it winter soon and i aint truddling in the rain into town, plus my mum and other family members live alot further and its not really viable to walk to their houses.
Plus i need a car to get to work when i go back.

However my situation is different from yours so to be honest i think its up to you to think whether you can go without a car.

If the worst come to the worst and you sell it then realise you need a car you can always get another car, because you arent spending the money it will be in savings

personally i couldnt live without my car.I have a big vectra that costs a lot to run but id be lost without it.i live on a bus route,town and kiaras school are 35-40minute walk away and tescos deliver.but I wouldnt willingly want to walk kiara to school in the rain or snow or cold days and have to drag caden out too.i value my freedom too and i love being able to get where i need to go.i tried living without a car for a weekend once :rotfl: never again!

on the other hand if you really think you can manage then financially you would be making a big saving

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back