Getting REEEALLY peeved off with this now!!!!!!! :(

littlepip

Reaction score
I moved into my flat 19th feb and got a water bill in june/july for around £200!! Im a single mum completly on my own, ryans dad pays nothing so i have to sort out all the bills and also in the same month had a gas and electric bill for £260!!!!!!!!!!! And now ive bloody got another water bill through for £179.85!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: HOW DO THEY EXPECT ME TO PAY THESE BILLS!?!?!?!?! i get about £130 a week and im trying to look after both of us on that and i also have to pay out for car insurance, tv license, broadband, phone, food, petrol, £160 loan and god knows what else!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

No way can that be right i wouldnt have thought ! Are you on a water meter ? A friend of mine lives on her own with her little boy and pays a set price for the year and its definately under £200 !!
Havent got my first waterbill yet so dreading it now !

Oh bloody hell!!! its just not right is it? defo get them to check it though hun x

ring them up hun and explain it not sure if the rule still stands but it used to be there cant cut your water off if you have a child under 5 so if it does just pay what you can :)
also our water company let you pay in installments like £20 a month maybe worth seeing if you can do that?
also it might cost your more in the long run but have you thought about getting key gas/electric meters? as they you wont get big bills you just pay as you go might be better for you
:hug:
xx

We pay £176 a year , they shouldnt be asking you to pay anything from before the date you moved in.

You need to get them to check it , I would ask if they do monthly payments too.

It's ridiculous what theyre trying to charge you :shakehead:

I am on a water meter and my bill broken up is...

Water is £68.64 and sewage is £111.21 :(

I have been trying to pay £25 but only started this recently! my mum pays £30 a month and she has 6 adults living with her!!!!!

We got a water bill the other day well a debt letter never actually got a bill for £300, I dont get how they can justify such high prices, esp as if you look at the bill more then half of what you owe is sewage charge and not just water

Oh and legally they cant cut your water off full stop as its a life esstentail were as gas and electric they can!
I agree a gas and elec meter works out cheaper in the long run

Thats a stupid amount of money! Phone them up and tell them you cant pay its ridiculous! We pay £37 a month for our water. Right now we would be sorted still living In Ireland you don't have to pay water or Council Tax and electrics government run so only one company so they cant just raise their prices. Englands a biatch to live in sometimes.(I guess there is still alot worse places though!!)

Hi hun,
Do not worry, I had exactly the same problem and told them I could only afford £20 pm.
At first I had them telling me I had to pay it but tel them its impossible for you to do that.
Do not let them fob you off with daft amounts like £50 pm as they proberly will.
Stick to yor guns and they'll send you out a payment card.

Good luck sweetie.

If you ring up and explain your situation single mum no money etc they will set something up you can afford.. i had a £600 water bill rang them up and told them my situation and they agreed to match what i paid so in affect halfing my bill.. you do have to lay it on thick tho at the time i was heavily pregnant and daddy had just left so think there might have been tears :oops:

I keep saying to DH about moving back to the UK but however bad things look here... a water bill like that :shock: :shock: :shock: I cried when our water bill went up to 40€ per 3 months... That seemed like such a lot... and our electric is only 78€ a month and thats with running a dryer several times a week... 200quid though... MY GODS... thats extortionate. I know when I lived in the UK I managed to negotiate bills down, by agreeing to pay a little each month and all my electric and gas were run on a meter. So there was no way I'd have to fork out for a surprise bill at the end of the month. Mind back then I could stick 5quid on the meter and it would last a week.. :roll: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

That sounds bad :think: :evil:
We have always just paid a yearly amount which is usually around £200. You have to ask them to break it down into monthly installments though otherwise they send you out with the bill for the whole year :wall:

My husband would go mad if we ever went on meters :oops:
He works in the gas pre-payment metre dept of one of the large companies and he says really bad. You get standing charges during summer etc so even if you leave the metre in credit at the end of winter - when you go back to it in Autumn you'll probably find you've racked up a debt and need to pay it off before you get any of your money credited back on it :evil:

Apparently getting people out to service them is also a problem because they are not considered an emergency supply (although as pointed out I think water is) and he used to get really upset having women with babies and young children crying down the phone because it was freezing and they couldn't warm anything up - and the best he could do was get a bloke out within 48hrs :(
They also charge you summat like £40 for removing meters when you finally want to come off them :wall:

Thankyou for all ure comments :hug: Will give them a call, Its also that time of the month so may be able to produce a few tears down the phone ;) (thanks keli lol)

Is there anyway i can get taken off of a meter does anyone know??

You can but not if you have an outatsanding bill.
I'll do a bit of research and see what I can find hun.

Morganuk said:
Thanks :) gonna give them a ring and have a go after work on thursday im so annoyed and its all gettin on top of me now!!! grr

littlepip said:
Morganuk said:
Thanks :) gonna give them a ring and have a go after work on thursday im so annoyed and its all gettin on top of me now!!! grr

Rememeber hun to not let them tell you that you have pay it in full or a stupid unrealistic amount, the will ry but stand firm.
Let us no how it goes :hug: .

wen i lived in a two bed flat just me and Bray it was 20 - 25 pound a month

so urs cant be right

Don't worry theres no wayi could pay that bill all at once anyway lol

I called them today and shes got me to do a leak test but i havent done it yet, havent had the time!! She tried to explain where my water meter is but i havent a CLUE where she means!! grr why cant they come and do it?? Apparntly its in the ground and i have to lift a big lid!! grr ive been crying most of the day about it cos im soo annoyed!!! :( crap day all in all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back