Help My baby feed ALOT

maldives

Reaction score
As I have mentioned before i am expressing for him as he doesn't get enough directly from my boob..ok u want to know why..he is consuming 4 OZ every 2 HOURS AT MAXXX... isn't this alot for his age??he is not 4 weeks yet..I am afraid he will be overweight plz tell me what to do??? shall i substitute with some water sometimes or just give him the milk??
BTW I give him formula at night..3 or 4 ..the rest of the day is my expressed milk..4 oz per feed at least

Hi

Theo is 9 weeks today, and has practically been glued to my breast since day 1!! Even during the night he roots round for me, and is now sleepinng in bed with me as it was so exhausting keep getting up to him at night.

As for weight he was 10lb at birth, and last Monday he weighed in at 14.12. Tbh I am not at all worried about him being fat, he is cuddly now but is very tall, so the weight has evened out a bit.

I wouldnt worry too much if I were you, your lo is doing well putting weight on, and when he starts getting mobile any extra weight will fall off. When you wean him stick to a healthy diet and you shouldnt have any problems with weight. Breast fed babies dont need water, but as your lo has formula at night I would check with your health visitor to see if you should offer water.

My dd was 8 13 at birth and put weight on rapidly, but now at 7yrs old she is a healthy little girl, not at all over weight.

Hope this helps a bit :D

Cooper feeds every hour during the day and at night he goes to sleep about 9/10pm wakes about 130am and again at 530am then he fusses for about an hour or two then we sleep till around 9/10 then it starts all over again :D xx

What midna said :)

I express far less than my LO gets from my boobs. I'd let him feed from your boobs only to build a better supply rather than express and feed it that way. Yes it will take patience and a bit of time and probably a grumpy baby for a little while but it will get your milk supply flowing better and he'll end up feeding better off your boobs. Chances are he could get more off your boob himself and therefore would not be feeding every 2 hours probably.

Babies feed ALOT in the early weeks, as others have said they are glued to your boobs. There is a reason for this and its all natural and baby is doing his bit to get your supply going properly. Having him suck stimulates your supply also.

My LO was feeding every hour at that age. Emptying my boob each time and sometimes needing the other boob. He is still feeding every 2-3 hours during the day and getting about 6 ozs off a boob. I can only express about 4 tops. But he takes what he needs from me and thats the important thing. I have the milk there for him.

Don't feed water to fill him up as breastfed babies don't really need it. Your foremilk (the first minute or so) is the thirst quenching part of your milk for your baby) then comes the hind milk, which is the rich tummy filling stuff.

And there is not really anything to worry about re him getting overweight. Let him tell you how much he needs. He is your guide. Each baby is different and if he is wanting more, then let him feed.

I personally would cut out the formula, go have a couple of days in bed with baby, skin on skin and just feed him off the boob and not express. Let him get the milk going and fill his tummy as and when he needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back