help! i need work advice???

ladyholls

Reaction score
Hi ladies I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on if I am asking too much etc from my work? Please be honest!
I had to tell my work on the 19th aug I was pregnant as I had been taken into hosp with a suspected ectopic, luckily baby looked in the right place but I was told to take it easy so had to have the weekend off work.
I am a care worker part time evenings and weekends.
So monday the 22nd I spoke to one of my managers and said I would be cutting my hours down, if I was working the weekend shift I would do 2 nights in the week and single shifts the weekend not a double shift.
This weekend I'm working 3-10 then sunday 7-2 and 4-10? Iv told her this is too much atm and I thought we agreed that what I asked for was fair? But because people are on holiday I have to do it? It also involves lifting people on the later shift which I can't risk at the moment. Basically I have to just get on with it? I'm goin to phone them today and go in there tomorrow as I have another scan to make sure baby is ok,
What do you all think?? I'm nearly 8 wks pregnant btw
Thankyou for reading x

Have they done a risk assessment? You need one.
Also DO NOT lift anyone in any shape or form this also goes for pushing wheelchairs. They have to find alternate lighter duties for you and you shouldnt be expected to do it.

Congratulations.x

You really shouldnt be lifting people now in your condition, I would say your best bet is to see your doctor and they can give you a fit note explaining that your employer should alter your working conditions accordingly. They should be carrying out a risk assessment as this would certainly expose that you shouldn't be lifting people. Employers should be flexible to these sorts of requests although I can be difficult for small businesses to be so flexible and in certain circumstances they can refuse if it has a significant impact on the running of the business. At the very least they should be carrying out a risk assessment an you should be mutually agreeing the tasks that are suitable for you to carry out given your condition, even of they can't change your hours. Soon enough you will be going on maternity leave so they will have to find cover xxx

I havnt even heard from my actual boss yet? No phone call or email about it, no signs of a risk assesment, I did ask the other boss what happens now when I told her and she said to be honest I havnt a clue?! I am goin to call them today, just didn't want to be feeling like I'm being unreasonable!
I'll let you know what happens, thank you ladies xx

no lifting, at all, ever. im a support worker and my manager wont even let me carry the hoover upstairs, least thats what she said (they still expect me to hoover up there somehow???) and were going to see about cutting down my hours and maybe not doing sleep ins or at least only doing 1. im currently off sick cos she said i should call in sick if im not fit for work and ive been sick almost every day since last thursday which she reckons makes me not fit to work lol. gotts try and get her to have a meeting with me when shes back off leave on monday.

if you ask to reduce hours and do less sleep ins then its your right to get it hun. some ppl dont even do lone working once pg. they havent got a leg to stand on without a risk assessment as thats your agreement with them what you are willing/capable of doing while in work and you have to have signed it. if u cant or dont want to do it then call in sick as they also cant penalise you for being off sick if its pg related.

Thanks bev, I enailed my manager and explained everything, also said I would be in to spk to her after my scan tomorra and all she emailed baxk was ok see you then!
I don't do sleep ins, just double ups which involve hoisting and now I have had to tell people I work with so they do the majority of the moving etc!
I'll see how it gos tomorrow and go from there! Wish me luck because iv got a feeling I'm gonna need it lol! Thanks for your advice!x

good luck and just dont do anything you feel uncomfortable with

Hi Hun I'm an operations manager for rehab services so we employ support workers here are some of the basics:
- no lone working
- no working 1-1 with anyone with unpredictable behaviour
- no long days ( unless you request them and youist have a break)
- no sleep INS
- no people moving people
- no food work if you are still throwing up ( nest for everyone)
- no household shopping unless you are second staff member
- no cleaning oven
- no wake nights, due to the need to evacuate in an emergency

Unfortunately what you can't do is dictate your shifts to your manager , she had to manage the service first unfortunately. I'd request a 1-1 with your manager where everything is documented go through your ra and sign it also ensure you have a copy.
Under no circumstances put you or lo at risk xxxx

All good advice from everyone here!
Just make sure its all in writing LadyHoll, and the trouble you have been having etc. Good Luck. xxxx

I dont think you're being unreasonable - but unfortunately the mangager does have to cover the shifts - and i dont think your allowed to request specific shifts due to pregnancy.

When you say lifting people - i hope you dont mean manually because even not pregnant you shouldnt be doing that - thats what you have hoists for!!!

Being a little bit crafty - if you dont want to work such long hours - dont do as much on the shift if you know what I mean - dont do any level of moving and handling that you are uncomfortable with - if that makes life difficult for other people the the manager will have to accomodate you.

Without an agreed risk assessment you could refuse to do pretty much anything - from hoisting to pushing wheel chairs - if your managers not willing to meet you in the middle make life difficult for them ( i realise that makes me sound a bit of a bitch - but some managers think if they ignore a health & safety issue then other folk will too)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back