8 weeks pregnant and really scared im overdo-ing it at work, whats too much??

LucyB.

Reaction score
I work in Mcdonalds full time, which is basically 5 shifts a week. My shift involves rushing about and bending to pick things up. The most I have to carry usually is about 6kg... I am tired out after my shift but before I went full time I was tired due to "being pregnant" anyway.

Im just really worried that im over-doing it and as I havent told work im pregnant yet I feel awkward refusing to do stuff.

But will I be okay if I maybe go a bit slower? Bend slowly? Avoid picking things up wherever I can? Or am I just being paranoid and its not really a strenuous job at all?:roll: Ha ha

Replies would be appreciated :)

hey! have you told your boss your pregnant? if you can afford to maybe you could cut your hours back? i used to work in mcdonalds back in the day and i know how stressful it can be and that was loooong before i was pregnant lol. i know they usually do like 9 hour shifts in there, but im sure if you boss knows your pregnant they will understand? (its their job to).
if its making you really exhausted then your probably doing too much. i work in a nightclub just now and used to work on busy bars most of my shifts, but now that my boss knows im pregnant he puts me on places like cloakrooms so that i can sit for the majority of my shift.
does the mcdonalds you work in have a drivethrough?? maybe you could get put on drivethrough duty with a seat? at the window where you take the orders. then you dont have to run about actually getting the orders ready.
hope this helps x

Hi, thanks for replying!

I haven't told my boss I'm pregnant yet cos I thought it was still early days although now I'm thinking maybe I should. I don't have to tell everyone after all! But my store doesn't have a drive through or anything so there's no jobs I could do really where I'm sat! Its just whether I'm harming the baby that I'm bothered about!

I'm trying to take it a bit easy, going a bit slower than usual and not bending as quick. I've tried to avoid lifting things by telling my manager I have a sore back but I think maybe I'm being a bit too paranoid, thinking every movement could harm my baby.

i told my boss i was pregnant two days after i found out because it was coming up to the halloween weekend and i was workin 5 shifts in a row. and halloween weekend is always really busy in the nightclub. so i needed to be assured that i wouldnt be put under too much stress.
just tell your boss the situation. tell them your 8 weeks gone so dont want to tell everyone yet so could they please keep it to themselves, but you just wanted to inform them that you plan on taking things abit easier than usual. that way if they notice you going slower than normal they will understand, and wont be able to be angry about it. also i used to work 5.30am-1pm in mcdonalds sometimes which was alot calmer than workin durin the day. it sucks cause you have to get up alot earlier. but breakfast time is alot quieter so you wouldnt have to run around so much. so you could ask to get more shifts like that?

i dont think youl be harming the baby whatsoever. the baby is nice and protected in there. but you do need to look after yourself. the baby is taking so much of your energy as it is. so you dont wanna give to much energy to work too xxx

Yeah, thanks for all your advice, its been really helpful! :) I think I'm definitely going to tell my boss asap, just so I don't end up getting run down and over tired, cos that's the main side effect of working!

Hopefully she won't tell anyone but who knows, could be all round the store soon enough! Ah well, at least I can relax a bit, thank you so much! Xoxox

I have not told my boss yet im pregnant yet either, but im going to wait until my first scan which should be soon, as im waiting on a appointment from the hospital to come through. Want to find out if everything is ok first. Ive told only 1 person there at my work and iam working as normal.. Im on my feet all day also.

LucyB got luck with everything..keep us updated

So the waiting is endless ..(I went to the doctors this monday )My doctor she said i should receive the letter soon as I have high blood pressure, so they want to get it sorted out as soon as possible.

Im so glad of this forum I'd think i go crazy with worry if it were'nt for you ladies to lean on Hugs XXX

Last edited:
your welcome! good luck! and look forward to followin your pregnancy updates on here :) x

Yeah, I have my scan booked for the 30th of december so its not too far off before I know everything is okay. I'll probably give it a few more days before I decided whether to tell her or not as I haven't even told half of my family yet! Lol.

I don't know what I'd do without this forum either ha ha. With me being young and having no pregnant friends I struggle to find someone that can answer my questions when I panic at the slightest things, and google can just make your mind wander even more ha ha, so its lovely to speak to people that are going through the same things at the same time!!

I shall keep you both posted with how I get on at work and thank you both for your helpful comments :) hope your pregnancies run smoothly and are as pleasant as can be! He he xoxo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back