Help - breastfeeding and green poo!!

babynumbertwo

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping someone might be able to help as I'm out of ideas as to what might be causing this.

Baby is fully breastfed on demand (approx 3 hrly) and has bright green poo! Had a few days of yellow after birth but green since then. Latches on well, no pain. Feeds from between 10 and 30 minutes. initially is quite fussy at the breast but then settles down and feeds well. I have a strong let down -on the left side only (which is the side he fusses most over). Is a bit colicky in the evening but otherwise generally well.

I've been going over my work from the BF course I did a few years ago but nothing seems to apply.

Taking too much fore milk -
Weight gain is normal and baby comes off breast himself

Excessive milk supply -
Not really leaking much and breasts not full or uncomfortable.

Neither of us are on any medication.

I really can't think of anything else so any suggestions would be really appreciated. Sorry for the essay! xx

ps - baby is 6 wks and has had no water or formula

Angel's always seemed to be either green or yellow. Dunno why. Maybe it might have something to do with what we eat too.
I mentioned to my HV once that it was green but it never worried her.

Are you swopping breasts after each feed? I would always pop LO on the same breast that he'd finished last time on so i'd def know that he was getting all the hind milk.

Have you eaten something? The only time Cooper has had green poo was when i'd had chinese.

As long as baby ok i wouldn't worry too much i'm sure it will past :hug: .. if not maybe a poo sample taken to gp to test xx

Thanks for your replies.

Keli can I just ask - do you mean for example you feed from the left and then from the left again at the next feed. Did you just do this for a few minutes and then move to the other breast? I've not thought of this, did you find it helped?

babynumbertwo said:
Thanks for your replies.

Keli can I just ask - do you mean for example you feed from the left and then from the left again at the next feed. Did you just do this for a few minutes and then move to the other breast? I've not thought of this, did you find it helped?

I do each feed on one boob! Like 7.30am i'll feed off the right, then at 10am i'd feed off the left. And keep alternating.
This is what my MW suggested as i suffered quite bad with engorgement in the early days. I find it so much easier.

babynumbertwo said:
Thanks for your replies.

Yes i do mean that.. feed from left LO finishes then start feed from left again until you think boob is empty LO will have to work harder at getting hind milk and it doesn't come out as fast so LO won't be swallowing as much or LO fusses loads then swop. This makes sure LO gets all the hind milk, i still do this now unless i'm engorged like Lisa mentions.

I asked my HV about that today. She said it's probably something i'm eating. She didn't seem too concerned :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back