Help Baliffs!

xshauna_bazx

Reaction score
We had a Baliff knock for OH today. When he was younger he ran up a debt of £10,000 there is no way we can even attempt to pay any off it as i am in trouble with united utilities already and they come first, even though i cannot afford to pay them either at the minute. Does anyone know what our rights are with Baliffs, can they just barge past and take my things even though they arent OH's? Do they have to have prove that they are his before they can take them? Any idea on what i can do...everything just seems to be going from bad to worse so sorry for complaining again theres no one else i can tell apart from my mam and dad. xxx

Oh god, sorry to hear this, think you need to get yourself over to the Citizen's Advice Bureau to see what legally they can do, can you not offer £1 a week or whatever their minimum payment would be? And wouldn't he of received letters threatening of this action before now if it is an old debt and been able to sort out some sort of minimum payment plan? Sorry not much help but think you might need to get to the CAB as soon as x

Hi,

I have know idea personally but have found this -- http://www.debthelpuk.co.uk/rights-of-entry.html says they cant just barge in.

Any one knocking i would phone your police station to get confirmed they have the right and are who they say they are etc.

Other than that say he dont live their etc!

must be horrible for ya but i presume they wont let you pay as and when so either get a loan company involved to help or just deny knowledge etc but be carefull

xx

First of all no they cant barge past you and secondly dont let them in.
Your partner is responsible for this debt not you so make sure he deals with them not you.

They may ask you both to do a means test to work out what you can afford to pay them.

if he is livin with you i think they can still take them but if hes not thn they cant i remember when i had bailiffs come to the pub they wanted to know everything that blelong to me and what belongs to the pub or my oh i sed i had nothing except amy stuff and a few clothes at that point they didnt take anything ust asked for a list but also you can phone them up and offer a certain amount a week or citezens advice can say well you pay as little as 3 pounds a week they look at how much you got comin in and whats going out and probs say get rid of a few things if you have like sky or broad band things tht you dont need and others like buying cheapper alternitives on food to be able to pay them itll all work out but sometimes some bailiffs work differently if you can prove that you bought everything or that everything is yours then they wont take it, but its est to seek advice or you could say the net time he comes round that he doesnt live there anymore and you dunno where he is

Yeah he has been getting letters for years but ignores them. We thought if we ignored it and not told them our new address it would be ok but they found him again. Its to alot of different people he owes like sky,02,three, greenwoods...loads of different loans so £1 a week would add up probably, considering we have £50 a month to live on at the moment not including shopping so its a real struggle. Hopefully that will be sorted soon as we have claimed for things we should have a long time ago. To make matters worse OHs mam let us down on the 3d scan which is in 2 week, she said she is only giving us £70 and it is £115 so me and OH got into a massive argument last night because i said i knew she would do it. Ah maybe one day everything will start to go right...maybe! xxx

Last edited:
they can find you due to if your on the electral roll register there they can find you or ven council ta or if you started a new job they can find out stuff i moved didnt know i had debt when i left where i was living got a ob didnt register any where and they must of found me tht way

Last edited:
I am in a contract with sky for a year :shakehead:
We have been told by CAB to lock our doors :oooo:

they cant come in without a court order and you would have to prove that your stuff is yours receipts ect its a farce honestly ring your local housing as see if the have sheltar in your area to help debt managment as these could stop[ them taking action

DO NOT LET THEM CROSS THE FRONT DOOR

Last edited:
Lucyann thanks for the link i am nipping out now so will have a look when i am back. Thanks girls, yeah i know its his debt i have told him i want nothing to do with it as it wasn't me who was stupid so why should i suffer...will read the rest of the replies when i get home. Dunno what i'd do without this site xxx

Sorry hun but is this scan absolutely necessary if you really can't afford it? I mean it is lovely to see little un in 3d but you could use the money for more pressing things like bills or food, and what your OH has done is completely unfair to you as they will always catch up with you despite ignoring letters which is the worse thing he could of done x

Laddo had a court order in his hand. Oh said he never lived here. xxx

My mam said she would pay for the rest of the scan now...but i really don't want her to i would rather try and get the money myself, but i really want it and she is insisting she pays, she has bought enough for LO xxx

Last edited:
Aw hun, so sorry to hear you're in such a situation, the others have given great advice, I would defo be onto the CAB and find out what they can do to help or at least if they could direct you to some help. As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't pay for the scan cos the money could help with (as the others have also said) food/bills etc. Hope you can get some help soon hun. x x

I know hun but i feel its a once in a lifetime scan and if i never have anymore kids i will have missed this chance, but i also feel bad on my mam because she has not got much money and already has bought so much :( i have said maybe we shouldn't get it but i don't think she would see me not get it anyways, was just MIL she knows how much we are struggling and she has the most money out of me and OH and my mam put together. xxx

Last edited:
Can your OH's mum not help you out then if OH pays her back as and when he can? I know what you mean hun, giving up a 3D scan would be a last resort really but if push comes to shove it might at least have to be postponed?? Sorry I'm not much help. :( x x

This is terrible!! Poor you! You don't need stress like that when you're pregnant! I can't offer any practical advice sorry, as I have no knowledge of the laws regarding this. But, I will agree with the others about the scan. I don't want to sound harsh when I say this and I realise it is a special thing to do, but it is a luxury, not an essential. And when you say you have £50 per month to live on yet are willing to pay £115 for a scan just seems impractical and I cannot see the logic. Sorry if I sounded mean.

Xx

She wouldn't. They helped their other son get out of debt but never OH. OH can't see this!!! We have always been last priority in her eyes just like our baby will be. My mam paid the deposit of £30 and OHs mam was meant to be giving her it back but likely not now. My mam said it was ok and to put the 70 she was giving us towards the scan which means 15 left to pay and my mam was gonna pay that to. Its not the fact of i know my mam doesn't mind though its because she has bought so much for us and OH mam was meant to give her the deposit bk xxx

No never sounded harsh hun, i wouldn't be able to pay the 115, not a chance it would be out of the question xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back