Hello ladies! Intro + Q's

LouiseB

Reaction score
Hiya, i just thought i'd introduce myself as i'm moving from the ttc section after finding out my husband had a really bad semen analysis result.

He still needs his repeat test but we're not holding out much hope.

He has a small semen sample, 5 mil/ml concentration, high viscosity and only 4% rapid normal progression sperm.

The doctor told him that we would probably need IVF but doubted we'd get it on the Nhs because he isn't literally 100% infertile, but i just spoke to Derby CareFertility and they say that we would definately qualify for IVF with ICSI on the Nhs so to insist on a referral if the next lot of results are the same.

She told me what kind of tests i would need like bloods etc but she also mentioned swabs - does anyone know what they would be for because i was only recently swabbed for Cervical Cancer and Chlamydia and maybe something else STI related?

I'm also trying to find out what kind of timescale i'm looking at regarding Nhs vs Private but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer :( Any of you ladies know?

I'm feeling a bit out of my depth, IVF isn't exactly how i imagined conceiving my children, so bear with me and all my ignorance and stupid questions - i'm trying to get my head around it :shock:

Last edited:
Hey Louise

I have emailed you...

With regards to this my partner has only 1 million per m/l and everything is normal, which our doctor decided to send him for a repeat sperm test, because she said it's unusual to have that low sperm and everything else be perfectly normal....he had his done yesterday, so got to wait 2 weeks now...

With regards to swabs, you have to have blood tests (both of u) for heptitis/HIV etc...and also cervical swabs for you and then they can begin the process if everything comes back normal.

You can have 3 tries on the NHS for free, if you haven't got any children already, you are more and likely to get it soon if you are referred through your GP, as this is the step we have taken. We haven't been told which hospital we will be under, either Derby or Chesterfield, I would imagine...unless Sutton-in-ashfield do it at Kings Mill Hospital..

I was shocked at first, because we got told if my partner's other sperm test comes back the same then before then there is less than a 5% chance of conceiving naturally, which is something I am mainly upset about as us women have to put our body through alot when it comes to ICSI/IVF!

Pm me back and we can chat anytime xxx

Last edited:
Already replied :)

I started looking into what women have to go through and i was a bit overwhelmed so i think i'm going to save it until tomorrow after i have a lie in lol

Then it's time to the the reading.

It's typical though, it doesn't matter whether a guy has good sperm or bad sperm - his total contribution to the activity still seems to be just having to get his rocks off lol

Thanks for all the info, three tries sounds like quite a lot comapred to other regions :)

Yes 3 tries is ok, but all depends where you get referred to and also if your local PCT approved it and there's enough funding for it lol

Donna x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back