Heart Palpitations

dannii87

Reaction score
I had these quite a bit between 15-18 and was told that it's common for teenage girls... I seem to be getting them a lot lately, I'm gettng them now and I'm sitting down down nothing?!

Is anyone else getting these? I don't suppose anyone knows what they mean? xx

dannii87 said:
I had these quite a bit between 15-18 and was told that it's common for teenage girls... I seem to be getting them a lot lately, I'm gettng them now and I'm sitting down down nothing?!

Is anyone else getting these? I don't suppose anyone knows what they mean? xx

I've had a panic attack once before, is that similar? I was just sitting about very normally and had a very overwhelming sensation and had to leave the room, my doc said it was stress? Hope your ok.

xxx

I posted a couple of times in detail about this. Let me find the posts for you and copy them over :)

I live with palpitations, a weird aorta and have seen the cardiac consultant a few times for tests during this pregnancy and am fine :)

Palpitations are normal in pregancy so don't panic :)

OK here is my post from 3rd tri on them :)

Palpitations in pregnancy are quite normal and nothing really to worry about. A lot of people have them pregnant or not, just that for most they don't even notice they are having them.

How to explain what your heart is doing. Basically, your heart beats, but somewhere in there, the valve going out forgets to open for some reason, so while your heart keeps on beating as normal, as the valve remains closed, even for second, this then causes a delay. As the valve opens and the blood is forced through, as more is pushing up behind it, it can cause the lightheaded feeling and the 'whooshing' you might feel and your heart rate may increase for a little while to accomodate what has happened.

I've suffered them for years and often get very large ones, where I feel everything stopping for 5 seconds plus, then get the rush of blood going through and the very lightheaded feeling that follows. I also get lots of the small blip ones. I used to find the ones that occured when lying in bed at night quite frightening as it makes me feel quite ill, but it always rights itself.

I am not sure how big yours are, if they just feel like a small blip, or you can actually feel your heartbeat stop then start and beat faster for 20 seconds or so till it rights itself. Either way, the key thing to do if you find them distressing is to just remember to keep breathing normally.

During my pregnancy I have had to see the cardiologist a few times because of my heart problems, have had an echo, ultrasound and a few other things (I have a murmur also) and he assured me that up to 3 palpitations a minute was acceptable. Also as I already know things like stress, constipation, senditary lifestyle (I am guessing you are not moving around so much atm) can all go toward them happening.

So if you are experiencing constipation and so on it can cause palpitations to increase or become noticeable. My consultant said this was normal in pregnancy as your system slows down such things.

The main thing is to not panic about them and if you find you are getting a few of them just to breath normally and not let them get to you. Make sure you don't overdo things if they are occuring (ie running up and down the stairs) just take it steady. If you feel lightheaded because of them, just rest a little, and if worried check your pulse (I usually feel my neck when I have lots of them in a short time or a large one that seems to stop everything) and can feel the blips and things righting themselves.

If its happening at night, lie on your left side to aid circulation.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to talk more :) Hope some of this has helped explain things :)

Ooooh yeah that's helped loads! Cheers Sherlock! You do come in handy every now and again :lol: xxx

I get heart palpitations too (and did before pregnancy). Mine are partially caused by diet. Excess caffeine and sugar will cause them for me. If they happen a lot you could consider keeping a diet chart... I find I can't have more than 3 cups of medium-strength tea per day or I'll get some pounding, for example!

Quill said:
I get heart palpitations too (and did before pregnancy). Mine are partially caused by diet. Excess caffeine and sugar will cause them for me. If they happen a lot you could consider keeping a diet chart... I find I can't have more than 3 cups of medium-strength tea per day or I'll get some pounding, for example!

Yup often they can be diet or stress related too. Lack of sleep or extreme tiredness can also cause them. If you combine all the things of pregnancy its no surprise lots of women suffer them.

I find if I eat too much crap I suffer them more. Hence me avoiding it as much as possible. Plus its better for me and LO in there :lol:

Mine are generally not really related to any of those things usually though. Just can be made worse :roll:

Hi there,

I'm so glad for all the advice on this topic, I originally searched on this subject here but couldn't find anything. I've been getting them on and off and in various degrees since about week 14, my mw said that if they persist to see the doctor and I've made an appointment. However, I did read on the net that they're common in pregnancy, it's weird how after I'd arranged the appointment to see the doctor they almost stopped and now they're infrequent and not very strong.. makes me wonder if there's an element of stress involved with them.. ie., worrying about them makes them worse!

Thanks girls xx

I have had some too, they were quite bad when in second tri. However, I have had thorough investigations and been checked out by the cardiologist and all is fine. I think it was just my body getting used to the increased blood flow and tackling anaemia at the same time. I feel fine now!
Hope you are feeling ok. Make sure you let someone know about them, although they are nothing to worry about, it is good to get checked out and be reassured.

I've always had them and they got more frequent when I became pregnant... I hardly get them at all now but my midwife says they usually stop once you reach 20/21 weeks..

J
XX

Hiya,

I get them if I have anything with a high caffeine content. I'm okay with a few cups of tea but coffee, energy dinks, fizzy drinks etc all make me feel like my heart is coming out of my chest & I start sweating as well. Quite unpleasant but not dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back