health visitors

sam96031

Reaction score
for those of you with LO's around the same age as Emma how often do you see your health visitor? we havent seen a health visitor since Emma's 8 month check back in August, when we take emma to hospital for health issues they always say that the hv will probabally call into check how she is going but she hasnt been in at all. Its not a big deal as we dont need her but would be good to know if we are supposed to be seeing someone. :think:

What 8 month check? :shock:

My HV has had a long time off sick, the other HV's didnt even bother telling me they just said they'd leave her a message. Saw her around April and she came out when she got back off sick at the end of oct and said she'd see me in a month.

One of the nurses who visits me said she'd give her a nudge (before xmas) and when she came out the other day asked if HV had been out - Dont be silly!!!! I find it completely unprofessional. :shakehead:

totally! :shock: they usually do a check at 6-9 months to check development etc, its in your red book supposed to be 6- 8 weeks, 6-9 months and then18-24 months, if i were you i would consider getting a new hv by asking for a new one or moving GP's? :hug: :hug: :hug:

my last contact with my hv was she phoned to change her appointment but said she had forgotten her diary could she call me back 3 weeks later i find out she is doing a different job and i don't have on i am under a team. :shock:

Iv seen mine twice in total...the last time being 26th oct..she said that she would call me in 2 weeks ....im still waiting! :roll:

What use are they anyway! :think:

My HV rings me now and then but I only see her at babyclinic, which is drop in every week. I would prefer she didn't contact me but I can understand why she does. I would contact your surgery/clinic where your HV is based and share your concern, I'm sure they'll look forward to seeing you and Emma :hug: :hug: :hug:

They don't come out at all here. You have an 8 week check and thats it. I had one come out a couple of months ago but only cos I was moaning that Aimee was almost 2 and hadn't been seen since she was 8 weeks :shock: She did Nathan at the same time, he won't be seen now till hes about 2 and a half.

As little as possible. I dont like the health visitors. They never have any helpfull advice, always make you feel like you are doing something wrong.

Joe hasnt been weighed for months and months but i dont have any concerns about his weight.

The last time Joe was seen was for his mmr and that was done by a nurse.

When are you supposed to see them until, i missed an appointment when my girl was 5 months old and havent seen her since, and they havent contacted me at all!! Should i go back and see her??? Ami

When my baby was born our surgery didn't have a HV. They kept sending them round to my house from other surgeries, but they didn't really have anything useful to say. Then our surgery got one, and I was summoned! This one didn't have much to say either, except to tell me I shouldn't be co-sleeping and that she was surprised I could breastfeed given the circumstances of our first few days together (or apart - as the case was.) She had nothing useful at all to tell me about colic, which baby had terribly, so I went to the private baby osteopath near me and she has been much more useful. Next time I saw the HV I got a telling off for going to the osteopath instead, and for not having baby weighed often enough.

Now I want to make an appointment with the HV because we should be starting weaning soon and I would like to get baby weighed, and also ask a few questions about getting her onto bottles. I rang the surgery and was made to feel like an idiot for not giving at least a month's notice for an appointment. They can 'squeeze me in' at the end of January.

I honestly don't know why I bother with them!

sam, could it be because emma was premature?

i know my health visitor doesnt like to get involved too much with me and Ami as we are being looked after by the community care team from the hospital.

she cant do anything that she usually does with full term babies, she cant teach me anything and doesnt have much experience with preemies so tends to stay away.

just a thought.

Last time I saw mine was August too.

I just received a letter with an appointment though as I am new to the area (actually moved in July) for them to see Gabs and meet me and see how she is getting on :D

grace1983 said:
sam, could it be because emma was premature?

i know my health visitor doesnt like to get involved too much with me and Ami as we are being looked after by the community care team from the hospital.

she cant do anything that she usually does with full term babies, she cant teach me anything and doesnt have much experience with preemies so tends to stay away.

just a thought.
we never had anyon come see us apart from the hv eg no nurses as luckily emma had no health problems apart from a slight problem with her blood. TBH after thinking more im quite happy we havent seen her as she is as helpful as all the others mentioned here.
thankyou everyone for your comments anyways :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

sam96031 said:
totally! :shock: they usually do a check at 6-9 months to check development etc, its in your red book supposed to be 6- 8 weeks, 6-9 months and then18-24 months, if i were you i would consider getting a new hv by asking for a new one or moving GP's? :hug: :hug: :hug:

Nope nothing in my red book. I'm under the same PCT as Kellie so wont get one.

The only thing she said last time when I've told her Eefie is a nightmare at bedtime was to get him in his own room. That just isnt possible right now which I kept telling her, he's in a cot next to me, well he's in it for about 2 hours until I give up and he goes straight to sleep in bed with me :roll:

i hope you get things sorted with bedtime routine. i know we are having probs with bedtime atm. i think they should have a system like NHS direct but with hv's instead so that we have someone to talk to if we need to

Minime said:
sam96031 said:

Nope nothing in my red book. I'm under the same PCT as Kellie so wont get one.

The only thing she said last time when I've told her Eefie is a nightmare at bedtime was to get him in his own room. That just isnt possible right now which I kept telling her, he's in a cot next to me, well he's in it for about 2 hours until I give up and he goes straight to sleep in bed with me :roll:

Apparently they do as many of the checks as they used to. Each family is assesed and if they decide they dont need to see you then they dont bother. What about babies that are being mistreated and are ill and theparents dont realise. SHocking.

thats the problem isnt it i mean emma is not being mistreated far form it lol but if she was noone would be any the wiser unless we took her in which we wouldnt exactly do if we were misstreating her

sam96031 said:
thats the problem isnt it i mean emma is not being mistreated far form it lol but if she was noone would be any the wiser unless we took her in which we wouldnt exactly do if we were misstreating her[/quote
I know, you would think that babies would be right at the top of the list when it comes to developmental checks. Do you have to make appointments for jags yourself or do the docotrs contact you?

i havent been sinse hannah was a few weeks old. seriously.

I dislike them and got sick of there lectures on the jabs. (i dont want hannah to have them)
couldnt be arsed going anymore to hear them try to convince me again. (why the hell cant the respect your wishes?!?!?!)

They've not bothered to contact me at all. And how they could asses me on about 2-3 visits i dont know. Mine really were horrible tho. Hananh was laughing and smiling at the light in the room (she still has a thing for lights on ceilings) and when i commented on it my HV said very abruptly 'no shes not, its the colours on the wall' . . .er. it wasnt.. i know what my daughter is lookign at. ?? there attitiudes where just crap tbh.

would love to know what hannah weighes tho. Any health isues ive had over the months (only one tbh hannah had bad nappyrash and chest infection) shes seen my doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back