health visitor and co sleeping

GBLiz

Reaction score
the health visitor came today and she was very anti-co-sleeping :?

in fact scared me a bit cos we do have Anjali in with us so far and had planned to stay that way a while

have you experienced similar attitudes from mw's/health visitors??

I've never co-slept through personal choice but I don't think there is anything wrong with it and most HV/Midwives will try and persuade you not to because of health and safety so unless you want to tell your HV/Midwife straight then I'd just ignore them because although they are trained to know everything as such only you know whats best for your child :hug:

oh yes... apparentlyI am making a rod for my own back, she will never sleep in her own bed, yada yada yada......

I just nod and smile, then carry on doing what I know is best for my baby

beanie said:
oh yes... apparentlyI am making a rod for my own back, she will never sleep in her own bed, yada yada yada......

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: That sounds familiar...

I'm currently making a rod for my own back by slinging lil miss... so I just not and smile and then carry on doing what I know is best... :rotfl: I've been told to stop bfing at 6 months too as it has no benefits after that age... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Squiglet said:
beanie said:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: That sounds familiar...

I'm currently making a rod for my own back by slinging lil miss... so I just not and smile and then carry on doing what I know is best... :rotfl: I've been told to stop bfing at 6 months too as it has no benefits after that age... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

ah the dreaded sling, makes them too used to being carried you know....

i actually like my hv, we just have differing views on parenting

My HV only came twice, I told her not to come anymore because i didn't like the way she spoke down to me.

Talking of HV, I had a letter through today for a visit from her next Monday. I phoned and cancelled it as next Monday we are going into town to register Dan. Our appointment for registration is 9:00am, HV appointment was 12:30.

*Now I know how I feel, I'm walking so slow due to soreness, we have to rely on public transport and there is nooooo way I am rushing around to get back in time!*

She said pretty abruptly that I could make it back in time!!! I then told her what I have just written above and that couldn't someone come out sooner, end of this week perhaps! She said that one HV was on holiday this week and she was on holiday next Monday!!! :? She also let me know that they were short staffed.
I thought bloomin 'ell, it's not my fault that they are short staffed!

HV is now coming next Tue, but this is still pretty inconvenient as OH mum is paying us a visit, the first time she's seen him since hospital!

Apparently by law they have to pay a visit within two weeks of a birth.

I really felt that I was being told what to do...but...of course...they know best! :talkhand: :roll:

Back to your post gymbabeliz, you know what you feel is right for your baby, no-one else! :hug:

i was taken by surprise i think, because i thought co-sleeping was supposedly much safer than having the baby in a cot in another room.

oh yeah my mw didnt seem that taken with the sling either (altho we have similar views on other stuff) ...given that either she'll be in a sling or carried in arms, i think a sling would make her less used to being carried :think:

Poor little thing has only just worked out im her mummy and I'm a safe place, im not going to abandon her to scream in a cot or buggy all the time!!

gymbabeliz said:
Poor little thing has only just worked out im her mummy and I'm a safe place, im not going to abandon her to scream in a cot or buggy all the time!!

Wise words hun, totally agree :D

Ha, I casually mentioned to my HV I was co-sleeping, and she just went pale and mumbled something about "very bad habits.."

Didn't stop me. I just let her carry on with the happy illusion that baby was safely in her cot, after that

I disliked my healthvisitor (i hope its not the same one ill get for Emily.. she comes next week) I didnt co-sleep with hannah but i do Emily, every child is different and all that. Emily is very un-settled of a night where as hannah was a good sleeper (in the first few months)

My problem with the H/V was the fact i said No to all tghe jabs and she just couldnt let that go. went on and on and on - all she would talk about.I even didnt take hannah to get weighed anymore simply cos she would just talk about the jabs and how i MUST get them.

IM THE MOTHER, MY DECISSION. END OFF. FFS.

gggrrrrrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: :x

Do what feels right to you. It's worth knowing the 'risks', etc but ultimately it's your decision.

We were told to NOT swaddle Luke because he'll overheat. We were recently told (by the BF counselor) that she would swaddle him if he was her child. She's had 4 of her own and swaddled them all.

You'll always get conflicting advice.

I'd say go with your instinct :) everyone has different opinions I spose but at the end of the day its your choice and nobody elses :hug:

rachelandjarvis said:
I disliked my healthvisitor (i hope its not the same one ill get for Emily.. she comes next week) I didnt co-sleep with hannah but i do Emily, every child is different and all that. Emily is very un-settled of a night where as hannah was a good sleeper (in the first few months)

My problem with the H/V was the fact i said No to all tghe jabs and she just couldnt let that go. went on and on and on - all she would talk about.I even didnt take hannah to get weighed anymore simply cos she would just talk about the jabs and how i MUST get them.

IM THE MOTHER, MY DECISSION. END OFF. FFS.

gggrrrrrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: :x
I said no to the MMR with Tia because my digestive consultant said not to risk it...but the HV just couldn't let it go... my current doc (no HV's here), said I was a bad mother for not getting the meningitis jab... but a)it costs a fortune and its not urgent till 24 months b) it only protects against the C strain of the virus and it was the B strain (the worse one) that Tia got two months after her vaccination. :wall: I've had to acquiesce to the other jabs because we live so close to Africa where there is a low incidence of vaccination there so illnesses such as polio haven't been wiped out.

its the same thing as the bfing/bottle feeding debate...we love our children and its our right to raise them how we want as long as we aren't hurting them. Theres so much conflicting advice...but the best advice is trust your instincts, we've been raising babies for centuries without HVs...

ryan's been ill the past week and really hard to settle and i've been so exhausted i've put him in with us.

took him to the baby clinic to get weighed and height measured for height chart on his wall, and i said i'd been putting him in with us sometimes. and the HV said "but it's all cosy and warm with you". well yes... that was the point - he's not well... he should be cosy and warm, fool.

do what you think and feel is best hun. they all contradict each other, and while people can give opinions, your opinion is probably the right one in regards to the routine of you and your baby.

x

ps- co-sleeping is ace :shhh: :cheer: x

My friends and family are all co-sleepers so I found lots of support personally, and never really talked much about it with HV/MW, its none of their business :lol:

HV whats that!! only saw mine twice but she stayed an hour each time.

Hey hon,

there is nothing wrong with co sleeping and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :hug: . If you ever feel like you may be putting your little one at risk or feel slightly nervous maybe you should look at getting one of these

http://www.bloomingmarvellous.co.uk/pro ... uage=en-GB

or you could simply section a small area of the bed off using little round sausage shaped cushions. I did this with Gia when she was born and although she went into her own room at 6 months she still comes into our bed and sleeps between us when she wants to.

xXx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back