hb levels

*Star*

Reaction score
just had my hb levels back from my 28 week bloods. mine were 10.6. does that sound low? i looked at an old blood report that said they should be between 11.5 - 18 something, but the midwife hasnt said anything about them being low???

I'd be interested in any answers on this too...Mine is showing as 10.2 with a star by it referring to 'low' :think:

I'm not too worried though as this result was from the hospital last week and they said the full results from my bloods seem fine :)

whats hb :oops:

EDIT: i looked at my notes, mine is 12.9 and she did say that was in the normal range

My levels of Hb (haemoglobin - measure of iron in red blood cells) are around 10.5. My midwife said that's borderline. She's put me on iron tablets as they are concerned that I will bleed severely during and after delivery. I would recommend that you try eating iron rich foods (they are better absorbed than tablets anyhow) such as green leaf veg, red meat and dried apricots to boost your iron levels so that you don't get more anaemic after the birth. There's also some good tonic called floradix you can get from health food shops that's safe to take in pregnancy and really boosts iron.

Mine was 10.6 too!

At my GP practice it isn't policy to treat unless it's less than 10.

I was put on iron tablets when my HB went down to 10.6 and I was checked again a few weeks ago and went up slightly to 10.8 but was told to carry on taking the iron tablets.

sounds ok, i think they only give you iron tablets for it if its below 10?

At my surgery they like to have your levels above 12, so I was put on low dose iron tablets when my hb dropped to 11.2. Have been taking them for a month or so now and had bloods done again last week so will be interested to see if my levels have gone up when I see midwife on monday. They did say it wasnt too low, but they like to keep it in a healthy range so its easier to get back up and regulate, rather than waiting for it to drop too low and having to take tablets for months to get it back up. x

At my surgery they like to have your levels above 12, so I was put on low dose iron tablets when my hb dropped to 11.2. Have been taking them for a month or so now and had bloods done again last week so will be interested to see if my levels have gone up when I see midwife on monday. They did say it wasnt too low, but they like to keep it in a healthy range so its easier to get back up and regulate, rather than waiting for it to drop too low and having to take tablets for months to get it back up. x

Hmm...so if my iron levels are low, could that explain the dizziness I've been having?! :think:

yep i've been tired recently, and ive put it down to still working full time in retail (3 weeks to go!).

i txt my midwife so i'll see what she says. it's probably the same as everything, each place has different benchmarks that they go by!

My hb is 10.2 and i have been on iron tablets since 10 weeks, so they upped me to 3 a day doubt it will make that much difference now though!

i was started on iron tablets in the last few weeks too bc my HB levels went down.

when i gave birth i lost a lot of blood and they went further down to 7.3 or something :? i'm still on iron tablets, ascorbic acid and folic acid now to bring it back up.. i felt AWFUL after giving birth and losing blood, so just wanted to say, if your mw advises you to take the tablets, please do, incase you have a blood loss and end up feeling worse :hug:

Mine were 10.6 too and they put me on iron tablets, just one a day x

well i'm back at the midwife's on wednesday afternoon, so i'll speak to her about it then.

will let you know what she decides!

Im also on iron tablets dont know my levels will find out im sure on the 5th August when I see the midwife again. Im on 3 a day 200mg tablets. Really do hope the iron levels show that they are coming up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back