Had my 16 week MW app....bit worried

Kelly G

Reaction score
Hey girls

I have been really looking forward to this apiontment as i knew they would listen to babys heartbeat and this was going to be the reassurance that i needed after the little bleed i had at 11+4 weeks. Anyway she put the doppler on and it took her a while to pick up babys heartbeat, she kept picking a heartbeat up but then said it must be mine cos it wasnt showing on monitor and when she did pick babys up you could hardly hear it, i only heard after she had said can you hear that and when i really listened i could. She didnt seem worried and said that its still only little it will be better next time but i know this prob sounds stupid but it didnt but my mind at rest, i keep thinking what if it was my hearbeat she picked up and not babys and that is why it was so quiet. Im sure it was a lot louder with my other 2 girls.

Anyway i have just looked on my notes and in the FH box it says 142 which is obviously the heart rate she picked up. Does anyone know if 142 is good or bad :think:

Im probably just worrying over nothing but i cant help it i sem to be paranoid after having that bleed

Im no expert but 142 beats per minute is far too fast to be your heartbeat and is the sort of rate expected for the baby so I'd say it was spot on!!

Someone just posted that if the babies heartbeat is under 140 its a boy and if it's over 140 its a girl (old wives tale) So I'd say 142bpm is perfect and no need to worry! :hug:

Oh and that you might have another little girl on the way :wink:

awww tnx for your quick replies girls, i didnt take much notice of thr rates of the heartbeats with my other 2 girls :oops: suppose its because i had nothing to worry about.

I know quite a few have dopplers on here so thought i would post and ask.

I am probably just worrying over nothing the bleed i had has just made me paranoid, i should have asked the midwife really but my mind didnt go into overdrive untill i was walking home :wall: Im sure i have been feeling baby moving this past week anyway so i think im my heart i know everything is ok, im just so worried about everything i thought this happened with your first baby not your third.

Tnx again girls im gonna try and not think about it as it only makes me worry more.

Mama 2 Be said:
Someone just posted that if the babies heartbeat is under 140 its a boy and if it's over 140 its a girl (old wives tale) So I'd say 142bpm is perfect and no need to worry! :hug:

Oh and that you might have another little girl on the way :wink:

oh forgot to say....i think its another girl :D

Kelly G said:
awww tnx for your quick replies girls, i didnt take much notice of thr rates of the heartbeats with my other 2 girls :oops: suppose its because i had nothing to worry about.

I know quite a few have dopplers on here so thought i would post and ask.

I am probably just worrying over nothing the bleed i had has just made me paranoid, i should have asked the midwife really but my mind didnt go into overdrive untill i was walking home :wall: Im sure i have been feeling baby moving this past week anyway so i think im my heart i know everything is ok, im just so worried about everything i thought this happened with your first baby not your third.

Tnx again girls im gonna try and not think about it as it only makes me worry more.

I bled a few weeks ago too and its understandable to be nervous about these things but our babies are at a very strong stage now and nothing like they were at 11ish weeks etc :hug:

try not to worry about it too much darling (I know easier said then done!) but im sure if your midwife thought there was a problem then she would have sent you for a scan. Sending you some big hugs!! :hug: :hug:

Sounds like everything is fine.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the same for you, but I had an anterior placenta with my third daughter and that meant it was always in the way when the midwife tried to find the heartbeat, so it always took longer and sounded fainter than with my other 2. Also, I didn't feel kicks as strongly at first. This was identified at my 20 week scan and explained so much!

It is natural to worry after having a bleed so your feelings are perfectly understandable, but it does sound like you have a healthy little bubba in there. 142bpm is bang on normal.

By the way, my sister's midwife couildn't even find her baby's heartbeat at her 16 week appointment. They are still very small and can run away from the pressure of the doppler!

My midwife wont listen to heatbeat at 16 weeks fot this very reason as it can cause unnecissary(sp)worry. :hug:

awww tnx girls you really have put my mind at rest loads.

Just spoke to DH (he is at work) and he put my mind at rest too. He was hoping i could record it on my phone but it was too quiet. Its horrible him not being able to come to my midwife appointments he came the them all with Olivia as fridays where his days off then

Anyway tnx again girls

*sara* said:
My midwife wont listen to heatbeat at 16 weeks fot this very reason as it can cause unnecissary(sp)worry. :hug:

mine was the same come to think of it. She said she would have a listen at the next appointment which is on the 23rd of December!

Kelly G said:
Its horrible him not being able to come to my midwife appointments he came the them all with Olivia as fridays where his days off then
I'm glad my OH can't come to mine cos he uses humour when he's nervous and it's embarrassing. When I was in labour with my 2nd (home waterbirth), he came downstairs with his goggles on cos the midwife said he might have to get in the birthing pool to support me!

MummyJess said:
Kelly G said:
Its horrible him not being able to come to my midwife appointments he came the them all with Olivia as fridays where his days off then
I'm glad my OH can't come to mine cos he uses humour when he's nervous and it's embarrassing. When I was in labour with my 2nd (home waterbirth), he came downstairs with his goggles on cos the midwife said he might have to get in the birthing pool to support me!

:rotfl: OMG that made me nearly pee myself :oops: :rotfl:

jools221181 said:
MummyJess said:
Kelly G said:

:rotfl: OMG that made me nearly pee myself :oops: :rotfl:
I know! :) I was like, "where do you think you're going with those?" :lol:

MummyJess said:
Kelly G said:

hahaha :rotfl:

Ha! :rotfl: Could have been worse he could have had flippers and snorkle mask on! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Now you girls mention that my MW did say that she'd see me at the 16week appointment when they should be able to hear the babes heartbeat - so sounds like v.faint is very possible. Not going to frighten the bejesus out of myself between now and then with a doppler although even they say you can hear the babies heartbeat from 20weeks onwards (think that's what the Argos one says anyway) :hug:

MummyJess said:
Kelly G said:

hahahahaha that is soooo funny, my DH can be pretty embarrassing too he's not scared to say stuff infront of anyone.

when i was pregnant with Olivia at the booking in he told me he was gonna ask the midwife if it was safe to have sex on a regular basis, i told him not to bother so at the end he sent me out telling the midwife that if he asked the question he was gonna ask infront of me i would get embarrassed, i was still bloody embarrassed as i knew what he was gonna say lol

Kelly G said:
hahahahaha that is soooo funny, my DH can be pretty embarrassing too he's not scared to say stuff infront of anyone.

when i was pregnant with Olivia at the booking in he told me he was gonna ask the midwife if it was safe to have sex on a regular basis, i told him not to bother so at the end he sent me out telling the midwife that if he asked the question he was gonna ask infront of me i would get embarrassed, i was still bloody embarrassed as i knew what he was gonna say lol
:roll: That's worse than saying it in front of you! :roll: Can't take them anywhere can we!

The midwife at the hospital told me that some of the dopplers are so sensitive and you literally have to get the exact right spot for the baby's heart to be heard not easy when you have a wriggler!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back