Gums / teeth. Hospital appt for dental treatment

CARNAT22

Reaction score
As an Ex smoker my gums are not in the best of condition and I've had a fair amount of treatment recently.

I've had x2 sessions of gum cleaning with dentist and a hygeinist session and I have been referred to dental hospital for root planning (which is a 40 minute session of under the gum cleaning - I may need 2 of these??)

Things were fine until a few days ago, my gums felt healthier than they had in years BUT since Friday I have noticed they are sore when I brush and my teeth in general feel sensistive?

Previous pregnancies / mc's have always resulted in sore gums and I assumed it was hormonal.

Anyone else have sore gums in early pregnancy?

I will go back to my dentist this week but my other question is - I have a consultation at the hospital on 27th March for this root panning treatment and I am not sure what to do. I assume they'll want to X-Ray so I guess I need to cancel.

I am also not prepared to have any stressful treatment in early stages of pregnancy just in-case?

Stopping smoking is something I am very proud of BUT my gums have been a pain in the bum ever since

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Sore and bleeding gums are a pregnancy sign Nat, its normal in tri 1 x x x

Good for you on the quitting x x

Thanks hun - I stopped 10 months ago (after BFP #1) but I never started again.

Yay to it being a "symptom" :)

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I am an ex smoker too - stopped in spetember 2011..... i havent got the best gums because of smoking but since my bfp they have been sore - and bleeding when i brush! :-( but i have heard it is a symptom so i wouldnt worry too much!! xx

Oh, the joysof pregnancy. Haven't had this symptom yet and hope I don't. Handy we get free dental treatment onNHS when we are pregnant. Hope your gums get better.

It now feels like a full on tooth ache is about to start?

I have one tooth I am convinced needs root canal BUT it wasn't mentioned in any of my 3 dental appointments recently?

That is the bugger that is starting to hurt.

Oh God don't let me need a root canal at the moment? I guess I'd not be able to have any local??

xxxxxxxxxxxx

No idea I'm afraid Carnat, but they can't let you have root canal without pain relief, surely? If an epidural is ok, hopefully a local injection is too.

Bleeding gums are a symptom of pregnancy. I've had a fair few visits to the dentist since last July.

I need a root filling as I have decay which has entered the pulp though the dentist has tried to salvage it and I only get pain occasionally. I am *desperately* trying to look after my teeth and have resorted to all kinds of measures to help.

I use tee pee brushes and floss and rinse with corsodyl when I get pain (don't use it all the time cos it stains teeth).

I don't know how true this is but the dentist said they prefer to work on pregnant ladies when they are in tri 2 and only if absolutely necessary

Thanks - I am thinking I'll have to postpone my actual hospital treatment for a while.

They can't X-Ray me anyway but I am not prepared to have any non essential treatment that will cause me undue stress....

As for the tooth that is causing my grief, it is manageable at the moment and I'll keep an eye on it.

I floss twice a day anyway and between meals if any food gets trapped, and I do use Corsodyl if things get really bad.

I had an abcess in November and that is what prompted me get my gums sorted.

Does anyone know if I can see the hygienist in Tri 1? Until I can have the actual gum treatment this may be a good interim solution?

xxxxxx

I also have gum problems die to smoking...
Gum bleeding got worse in tri 1 and eased in tri 2 and ive found has come back n tri 3...
As fr the dentist id defo go even just for a check up, i went at around 14 weeks as this was my normal appointment anyways. Just mention your pregnant, they wont x ray and i was todl to have some deep cleaning done under a local anaeasthetic, its completely safe so im told but i declined as i am a bit of a wuss when it comes to this..
Hope all is better sooon x

I also have gum problems die to smoking...
Gum bleeding got worse in tri 1 and eased in tri 2 and ive found has come back n tri 3...
As fr the dentist id defo go even just for a check up, i went at around 14 weeks as this was my normal appointment anyways. Just mention your pregnant, they wont x ray and i was todl to have some deep cleaning done under a local anaeasthetic, its completely safe so im told but i declined as i am a bit of a wuss when it comes to this..
Hope all is better sooon x

Thanks hun - yep the deep cleaning under local is what I have been referred to the dental hospital for.

I def don't want that done at such a precarious time in my pregnancy though so I will postpone that appointment.

I'll see how my teeth and gums feel over the next few days and if not I'll go as an emergency walk-in (If you turn up at 9am they see you before Midday!)

xxxxxxxxxx

when i brushed my teeth this morning I was getting a strange taste in my mouth, when i spat out my mouth was full of blood! really really bad.

going to see if it continues, but not been to the dentist for 2 years as am phobic so tend to avoid if i can!!

bleeding gums are normal in tri 1 x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back