Gro bags / sleeping bags

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by Bugsy, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy Active Member

Looking at buying a couple of gro bags (or cheaper alternative) but not sure what tog to buy?

I'm having a summer baby (July) so would people recommend the 1 tog or 2.5 tog?

2. Brooksy

Brooksy Well-Known Member

Generally 1 tog is recommended for summer, 2.5 tog for winter x

3. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

Check the labels first as most of them are not suitable until the baby is over a certain weight (it was 10lb back when I had mine, might be less now, but either way you should check they are safe for newborns).

I'd go with a lighter weight tog as you are better doing layers with babies (vest and sleepsuit) so they shouldn't need a thick/warm one.

But maybe get some blankets for the first few weeks just in case it's warm and look at using the gro bags when it starts getting cooler.

4. kittykitchn

kittykitchn Well-Known Member

5. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

#5 Jojo84, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  6. Mel32

Mel32 Well-Known Member

I received a couple as gifts but I also see these quite often in tkmaxx. Mine came with a thermometer and guide as to which ones to use, I was given a regular one and a travel one -both light weight/tog I just can't remember the number.

I think the travel one is designed to let you put them straight to bed if they have fallen asleep in the car.

7. russellmuscle

russellmuscle Well-Known Member

I think I got some cheaper sleep bags from places like ASDA they do lovely plain ones or some disney. Id love getting him matching pjs with his sleep bag. Sad. :lol:

What the girls have said really. Although I think I had one from 10lb because I remember Jackson in his from although not looked in ages at sizes.

xxxx

8. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

They're not great tbh, they create too much padding for the car seats... Same as you shouldn't put a child in a caraway in a thick coat or a snowsuit

9. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

I loved my grobags when sofia was a baby, I will no doubt be swaddling this baby because that is what I did with sofia and she slept like a dream for a good month being swaddled... and then I moved to grow bags I think (can't actually remember) and I loved them so much! She always slept very well in them and stuff so I will get one or two. Tk maxx always had nice ones which is where i bought them from last time.

I think as baby is due august I will assume it will be wintery before a grobag is used so I will get the 2.5 tog one xx

10. naomi88

naomi88 Well-Known Member

I would definitely just get one to try at first - my dd couldn't stand anything like that and we'd bought a few in advance so was such a waste!! Xxx

11. YorksLass

YorksLass Well-Known Member

Good thread - was wondering about the sleeping bag type things myself. I have a friend with 2 kids who swears by them! ;-)

12. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

I did love mine for sofia... they were really handy but some babies just don't like them apparently.... I think I will try them again! xx

13. russellmuscle

I more like the safety feature of them.

I dunno how many times I found Jackson with his cellular over his face which was quite frightening.

So to go to sleep at night knowing he wasnt going to pull his blankies over his face was a relief :lol:

xxxx

14. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

Luke kept kicking his blankets off and woke up because he was cold so that's why we used them. They're Fab
    if they like them

15. russellmuscle

Yeah I guess I was lucky he liked them.

I guess all babies are diff, some even only tummy sleep!

xxxx