gritted teeth in laws updated first post

Sandi4Paul

Reaction score
Well we had our baby two weeks ago. we told everyone in the family the due date back in January so thy all knew it was coming.

Found out about 4 weeks ago my inlaws had booked a holiday from the sunday before our due date (the 13th) to the wednesday after (23rd). Logan was born on the 17th.

we weren't able to tell them he had been born as they don't take their cell phones with them when they are abroard to save money (they are pensioners and on a tight budget).
weren't even exactly sure where they had gone this time (turns out it was Russia).

Anyway came back late wednesday night, they phone my sister in law thursday morning who told them Logan had been born.

Finally called us Thrsday night (!) to ask to come around friday. I tried putting them off to Tuesday just to be a cow but they wanted to come round as they were going to see my OH's grandma on friday afternoon and wanted some photos to take him (she has been in hospital latley after having a fall so fair enough).

So they have to come around at a time that suits them, not us or Logan.

And then when my MIL was holding him, she said 'it was such a shame they had to be away when her was born' . HAD TOO????? they did not have to at all, and Ok this isn't thier first grandchild (SIL has three boys) but it is our first, and now they expect to see him often (not while i have breath in my body they wont).

This was when i had to grit my teeth to not say anything. oh and they insited on coming into the lounge when i was feeding, i don't want my tits out in front of my in laws they only had to wait another two minutes and we would have been finished. they took loads of photos and my top wasn't pulled down all the way so my saggy jelly belly wond up in most of them.

i do feel better after this rant.

Sandi

They have done it to me again! They come around yesterday to drop off my birthday card (even though they have been happy to post it for the last 4 years) just as Logan was starting a feed in our bedroom. I had wanted it to be a quiet feed so he would rop off to sleep. Anyway my OH came up saw i was feeding and said not thye couldn't see him cos we were titty sucking (again). Anyway my FIL then yells all right sandi, so i had to yell back Yes (so much for quiet), then MIl is like oh she wont mind me going up, so runs upstaris (it's amazing how fast a 70 yr old with arthritis can move when they want to). Then she stands there talking to me about the fact they have just bought a new kitchen sink cos the boiler needs reaplaced. Well Whoopee for them, i'm still trying to do a quiet calm feed. Got my revenge though told them we couldn't make sunday lunch this week cos we alreay had plans. her face was a picture when i said that, think she thought we would go around there whenever she wants.

OH and i talked after they left and agreed he needs to have a firm word about this either that or move to australia, might be far enough away.

Sandi

I don't know what to suggest but wanted to say it must be soooo annoying when someone feels they have the God given right to pop round whenever they like because it's convenient for them.

Next time they say they're coming round, I'd say "no, WE will come to YOU" if you start making a habit of going to THEIRS when you are available and ready for visitors? They'll soon realise that YOU call the shots and that YOU decide when you're available etc.

Oh and the breastfeeding thing, I'd have said "excuse me, just leaving the room to feed Logan" because it's an intimate thing between mother & baby & not everyone is comfortable with showing the world. I'm sure your OHs grandma doesn't want to see your boobs!

It must be very frustrating for you. Typical in laws though :roll: xx

Aw Sandi that sounds really annoying!

Firstly I cannot BELIEVE they didn't find out they had a new grandchild for a week! In today's world of extra quick communication! They can't be that skint to take a mobile to turn on to see if there's a text once a day, if they are jetting off to exotic locations on holiday! Grrrrrr.

It used to really wind me up when my PIL came when it suited them and OH had to put his foot down a fair few times. They were excited but we were new parents getting used to everything and they had to respect that. Re. the breastfeeding too, that was very thoughtless of them - I found my PIL very respectful of my privacy until I started whipping my boobs out everywhere as I'm sure you will too!

I hate to say it but it looks like you or OH will have to say something to them if this happens again - you will need to nip this in the bud or this thoughtlessness will definitely get worse.

Valentine Xxx

Oh that is rather ignorant isnt it :hug: Well done for being so diplomatic

Sandi4Paul said:
Well we had our baby two weeks ago. we told everyone in the family the due date back in January so thy all knew it was coming.

And then when my MIL was holding him, she said 'it was such a shame they had to be away when her was born' . HAD TOO????? they did not have to at all, and Ok this isn't thier first grandchild (SIL has three boys) but it is our first, and now they expect to see him often (not while i have breath in my body they wont).

Sandi

Hiya :hug:
Now i can complelty understand why your angery, And its completly understandable - but i seriously wouldnt hold a grudge, or stress your self out over it.
My whole family was away when i gave birth to my first. (ALL at my sisters wedding - 100 miles away and my dad was working about 3000 miles away and my OHs family live in scotland... again MILES away) I was upset. deffinatly, but somtimes lifes like that - not everything goes my way.
Enjoy being a mum for the first time - and these first few months are very presious, dont waste them feeling resentful to others, that at the end of the day - dont matter that much :) :hug:

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have the MIL from hell!
It might be a good idea to get OH to have a word and explain its not always convenient for you when they want to come round and that they need to understand you will have a routine for Logan and need to stick to it. Also as far as the BF is concerned you have every right to ask for some privacy whilst you are feeding :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back